IGNORED

Tennis on the Activision Freeway?

kroogur

I got this as part of a lot of games i purchased recently. Someone wrote Tennis on the Freeway cart and it is indeed Tennis in the cart, was it common to get mis-labeled games? because this cart has never been opened.

007-1.jpg

Wow, and its a color label Freeway with cars in different colors, not the regular old grey one. Interesting. Sure looks like a factory flub up.

I bought a cassette tape once that was the wrong tape inside. Swapped it out for the correct one, that was crazy though...started played soft jazz or something on a GNR tape...ah the 80's quality control :)

Neat find.

C

Curious.

I noticed that it is dubbed the "international version" with multiple languages describing joystick compatibility. Is this something unusual I wonder?

Also wonder if the previous owner did the handwritten "Tennis" or if it was purchased that way? The reason I ask is because back in '91 I was visiting my girlfriend (now wife) @ her workplace (Kmart) & they had a bin of loose carts for some ridiculous cheap prices & some of them were unlabeled with handwriting of the titles on them. I asked the electronics manager if he did the handwriting & he said "no, they came that way". Anyone else encounter this type of thing? I haven't read anything about carts like that on this site yet. I'm pretty sure we didn't have anything in MN like Xante or those companies that made games on site.

Peace

Edited by midnight magicman

You know i didn't even pay attention to the International Edition on the label as i was too focused on the "Tennis" aspect :lol: now you got me curious about that too! I have other Freeway carts i'll have to check them out.

Edited by kroogur

I checked all my other Activision carts and they are all normal and my Tennis plays and looks like this Freeway Tennis, and all sarcasm aside i don't care about scamming some dope on Ebay for big bucks i'm genuinely interested in knowing more about this cart. Up until I joined this forum i just bought and played what was interesting to me but now thanks to you all and this great forum I am taking more of an interest in my collection other than playing it.

So were international editions fairly common?

And was it common to get mis-labeled games?

I have a couple hundred games (quite a few double and triples) and have not seen a mis-labeled game yet.

Edited by kroogur

Ok i searched on another site and got the info i was after it's the PAL version mystery solved at least as far as where the case came from now the next question, is a PAL game supposed to be able to play on my system?

Edited by kroogur

There could be several explanations for it. Since its not in the original box its hard to tell.

1. Could of been Billy Jo Bobsled has Tennis and Freeway and the labels fall off. He glues them back on only to realize in his haste he glued them backwards and can't get them off so he uses a sharpie and writes the correct title on them. Years later he sells them at a flea market. Now there is some guy out there wondering why the game with a Tennis label on is crossed out and rewritten freeway. :cool:

2. This was the early 80's in CA. A few factory workers come back from their smoke break and start tossing a couple cartridges around. In the process a Tennis game gets sent as a Freeway. THis is a joke but easily could have been a mix up in manufacturing. Wouldn't be the first time. No one thought an Elmo doll would tell a kid it was going to kill him after the batteries were changed but it happened.... :D

You could also insert other ideas such as someone switched the boards, or what.

I doubt that the game came from the factory written on in Sharpie. I find it hard to believe a game manufacturer would waste that much time on individual mistakes. I doubt quality control ever even knew this slipped through.

Either way its an interesting find and one I would hang onto as a fun display item. I have a Jaguar game that was sealed Brutal SPorts Football that when opened and played for the first time turned out to be cybermorph. How did that happen. Was Telegames reusing cybermorph boards? I don't know. But its fun to speculate so enjoy it.

As a side note I once got a Saturn Madden game back in 97 or 98 and payed like 50 bucks and when I got home and opened it there was no game inside. When I took it back to the store I was told I wasn't going to lie my way into a second game. I was crushed. But after a long wait and many calls to EA they sent me a replacement. Of course by then the season was 3/4 of the way over... :P

Edited by brucebidder

• 5 years later...

I too have a copy of Activision's "Freeway Tennis". I have had mine since the 1980's (probably 1986-87) I bought it in Southern California in Big Bear CA. I do distinctly remember buying this Freeway game brand-new. I wanted Freeway, and was a little disappointed with getting Tennis though I did enjoy it after a while. The game does not have any black marker written on it so I assume your's was written after opening.

Flash forward nearly 30 years later While transfering my games I noticed it said the word International and searched up and foyund this thread. Nice to know I was not the only one who was playing Tennis on the Freeway. I have not heared of any other situations such as this so I am 100% sure it was a gaff at the factory. Now value may be hard to peg down but if there's two games out there maybe others. Any reverse Tennis games with freeway i wonder?

post-33875-0-49629200-1365357799_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I have a different mis-labeled Activision cart, mine is a Skiing cartridge with a ROM for Boxing inside. I bought this new in box at a going-out-of-business sale in the mid 90s. It's not a fancy International version like the Freeway carts above; this was standard old NTSC and had no evidence of tampering, so I assume it just received the wrong sticker at the factory. Very strange, and a little disappointing at the time.

You can hear my story about this cart on an epside of the Atari 2600 Game by Game Podcast at http://2600gamebygamepodcast.blogspot.com/2013/08/ag-005-skiing-and-ax-006-bridge.html