IGNORED

Good Dreamcast games?

BassGuitari

My obsession game for Dreamcast has always been San Francisco Rush 2049 for the Stunt Mode (and that time based gauntlet deal)... That Stunt Mode is Fun as Hell!  Although I highly recommend remapping the controls so ya don't get "Claw Hand".   Just make A=GAS   DONE!

Also the new game Xeno Crisis is pretty Rad!  It's kind of like an alien infestation, Smash TV type deal...I highly recommend it.

https://shop.bitmapbureau.com/products/xeno-crisis-sega-dreamcast-cd

• Like 2

I like to play Sierra Sports: Maximum Pool. Even alone. It lets you control two players with one controller, and there's even a nine-ball mode (sink 9 balls in numerical order.) I second Looney Tunes, but with the cheat 'cheesfish' which unlocks everything (also 'succotash' is a good cheat which removes the stupid "gags" which are actually weapons)

• Like 2

I was about to post in this topic, but then realised it was created in 2008.

But what the hell...

Not much Blue Stinger love in this topic, it's one of those love it or hate it games. Personally it's one of my all time favourite games, it has a lot of charm and it's great to play at Christmas while drinking some of the hard stuff.

Super Runabout. It's like an unpolished ropy Crazy Taxi, but with a lot more to it as there is a wide selection of vehicles, and you do missions as well, it's a lot of fun and has a lot of charm.

Sonic Adventure

Resident Evil 2

Buggy Heat

Powerstone

Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Streetfighter 3 Third Strike

Centipede

Ms. Pac-Man Maze Madness

Edited by Ross PK
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2021 at 6:17 PM, sn8k said:

If your Dreamcast was built by a certain date, it plays burned games. Just need CD-R's. Though I don't recommend this. Laser burns out. And the actual motor itself can die out pretty quick if you get the settings wrong for a certain game.

Not every game burns on the same settings. What worked for the first 20 games, will be different for the next 20. Games burned incorrectly will make your already loud dreamcast way louder. You can hear it stressing the console. Most games should be burned at the lowest speed possible. Some refuse to be burned at 4x  and require a slower speed.  Some drives dont even go that low. Others want to be burned at 8 or 10 if they refuse 4x. 

After burned games killed my white DC, I purchased every game I play on DC so I could actually own the originals. I refuse to put burned games in my black Sega Sports DC. Unless its a boot disc, no CD-R goes into it.

Did someone mention CD-Rs?

46828833635_4f4829e496_h.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zoyous said:

I don't see how CD-Rs would be any more stressful to a DC laser than they are to a CD player or PC CD-ROM drive. Some images you can get have actually had the data rearranged to require less movement of the laser than on the commercial release.

Not every game burns at the recommended speeds. The term "coaster" wasn't invented out of nowhere. I had games burned flawlessly, and others using the same methods that either made load times take for ever and have my DC making sounds that are not normal. Slow gameplay. No sound. Crashing. Every problem imaginable..... I have had it while burning DC games. Never had a single issue doing Ps1 games. For years. 

I eventually bought pS1 games, all of them....original.  Not because I felt burned games were affecting my PS1, they werent. After buying all of my DC games...... I did the same for all the Ps1 games I wanted. Which was alot..... just because it looks good on the shelf.

I failed to burn D2 . That one I remember well. I expended about 10 discs on it till I gave up. None would boot up except 1. After changing the speed for the last time. I got it to go.... but DC was again working slow and sounding like it was going to blow. Than would crash immediately when I was supposed to take control.

With a few more attempts I probably could have figured out the perfect setting for it. But I said fuck it and just bought the game when I decided I was done with burning games.

Owning the originals always feels the best.

4 hours ago, sn8k said:

I failed to burn D2 . That one I remember well. I expended about 10 discs on it till I gave up. None would boot up except 1. After changing the speed for the last time. I got it to go.... but DC was again working slow and sounding like it was going to blow. Than would crash immediately when I was supposed to take control.

With a few more attempts I probably could have figured out the perfect setting for it. But I said fuck it and just bought the game when I decided I was done with burning games.

Owning the originals always feels the best.

I will not argue with this... but just to say that owning the originals started to feel less like the best for me when I saw Cannon Spike going for $300, and some other crazy prices going up.  I sold most of my collection and now have a few original genuine games, a few repro burns, an emulation PC set up, and I got a modded DC with GDEMU for everything else, hooked up with a LevelHike HDMI.  It is awfully sweet.  And cost me a very small percentage of what I brought in selling what I had.  The decision to with all originals was easier when DCs weren't as "in fashion" as they seem to be nowadays, and you could grab most games for $10-$25.  Now the financial part of it (depending on what games you are after of course) can really make a difference over which route you go.

And if someone is new to the DC world, well.  Let me just say my gross sales for my collection (which was less than 30 games) were closer to $2k than $1k all told. 

Picking up a GDEMU modded DC to try all the games would be a much easier and reasonable way to start than having to drop the retail on a decent collection.

• Like 2

I will not argue with this... but just to say that owning the originals started to feel less like the best for me when I saw Cannon Spike going for $300, and some other crazy prices going up.  I sold most of my collection and now have a few original genuine games, a few repro burns, an emulation PC set up, and I got a modded DC with GDEMU for everything else, hooked up with a LevelHike HDMI.  It is awfully sweet.  And cost me a very small percentage of what I brought in selling what I had.  The decision to with all originals was easier when DCs weren't as "in fashion" as they seem to be nowadays, and you could grab most games for $10-$25.  Now the financial part of it (depending on what games you are after of course) can really make a difference over which route you go.
And if someone is new to the DC world, well.  Let me just say my gross sales for my collection (which was less than 30 games) were closer to $2k than $1k all told. 
Picking up a GDEMU modded DC to try all the games would be a much easier and reasonable way to start than having to drop the retail on a decent collection.

Of all the systems I’ve owned I’d have to say the Dreamcast is the only one that might be worth the 2k for 30 games if you could afford it. Nowadays that’s probably more like 3-4k, so yeah burning discs or GDEMU is definitely the way I would go except for the 4 to 5 of your favorites.
  • Like 1

On 2/14/2021 at 12:39 AM, Curious Sofa said:

Those GDEMU modded DCs are slick.  That would be something I would perhaps consider if I had the cash and if the Nvidia Shield TV I have with the ReDream emulator be so good.  However, for someone who loves the DC and wants to get all of the games the modded units are the way to go imo.

Is Daytona USA a good game?

I don't usually ask this kind of questions and pass my own judgement, but this is an odd one. I like arcade racers a lot, but I'm not particularly good at them. I've just got Redream working recently and played Daytona for the first time ever. I remember that back in the day it was getting rave reviews, but I also seem to recall reading some negative opinions about it from modern gamers. I thought that it's very slick, but also that steering is somewhat clunky. So, is it just me, or is there something to it?

1 hour ago, youxia said:

Is Daytona USA a good game?

I don't usually ask this kind of questions and pass my own judgement, but this is an odd one. I like arcade racers a lot, but I'm not particularly good at them. I've just got Redream working recently and played Daytona for the first time ever. I remember that back in the day it was getting rave reviews, but I also seem to recall reading some negative opinions about it from modern gamers. I thought that it's very slick, but also that steering is somewhat clunky. So, is it just me, or is there something to it?

Yeah, the steering/drifting mechanic takes a while to get the feel for, but once you get the hang of it you can control your car very precisely.

I would say the problem with the "modern gamer" opinion in general is they won't spend enough time with the game to learn the depths of the mechanics.

Edited by Zoyous
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Zoyous said:

Yeah, the steering/drifting mechanic takes a while to get the feel for, but once you get the hang of it you can control your car very precisely.

Agreed.  The control on Daytona USA for Dreamcast is a lot more precise and superior compared to to Daytona CCE on Saturn, even when using the analog controller on Saturn.   

Dreamcast Daytona USA control is very sensitive on default setting.  Go to Options and back off the sensitivity and experiment for a few laps.   Regardless of setting though, you do get used to it.    I tend to push the stick forward , and roll it clockwise/counterclockwise in very small increments, for pinpoint control around long curves.     Your racing line is very important on some tracks/curves, if you hit it wrong you'll skid into the grass or a wall and a bunch of cars will pass you. 

If you like SEGA arcade racers , I can't imagine not enjoying the DC version.  There are plenty of tracks, you can mirror them if you want, and you can adjust the number of opponent cars.  I love to crank up the number of cars on the 777 Speedway and play it in grand prix mode.   The graphics are phenomenal for that era - Daytona never looked better. 

Daytona USA on DC is one of the few "driveable" games on that console.  Whether you're using a controller or the hideous steering wheel, I don't know what it was, but the controls are simply awful on most of the racing games.  This was not an issue on Saturn, N64 or PS1, or then on Gamecube, PS2, or Xbox.  Just the Dreamcast.  To me it is the biggest flaw of that console.

24 minutes ago, Greg2600 said:

Daytona USA on DC is one of the few "driveable" games on that console.  Whether you're using a controller or the hideous steering wheel, I don't know what it was, but the controls are simply awful on most of the racing games.  This was not an issue on Saturn, N64 or PS1, or then on Gamecube, PS2, or Xbox.  Just the Dreamcast.  To me it is the biggest flaw of that console.

First I've heard that opinion.  I never used the steering wheel, mind you.     I still have my DC hooked up but haven't played some of these games for a few years, but I remember playing MSR, F355, Sega Rally 2, Daytona USA, Test Drive Le Mans, Speed Devils, Tokyo Extreme Racer, Hydro Thunder. I don't recall awful controls.  In fact, of all these games, I remember Daytona USA's controls the most , because they seemed overly sensitive and twitchy on default settings. 

I'm starting to get itchy to revisit some of these DC racers.   About a year or two ago I finally beat SR2's Ten year championship - something that BITD I thought was impossible.  Plus, the game's graphics and frame rate didn't seem as godawful as I had remembered, for some reason.   (EDIT - well, that could be because I'm now using the VGA-to-HDMI box on an HDTV,  as opposed to BITD using S-video on a standard TV!) 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Cafeman said:

Plus, the game's graphics and frame rate didn't seem as godawful as I had remembered, for some reason.   (EDIT - well, that could be because I'm now using the VGA-to-HDMI box on an HDTV,  as opposed to BITD using S-video on a standard TV!)

Heh. The only reason I actually started messing with Redream is because it's possible to use CRT shaders via Reshade.

I forgot about MSR, fabulous game, spent a lot of time with it back then. And yeah, Tokyo Extreme Racer, introduced me to the Shutokou style, love it to bits. Need to get on them again...

I only use Dualshock4, no fancy wheels. Will try to tweak the settings and give Daytona another go.

Anybody knows how is the lag in Redream? Saturn emus are supposed to be quite laggy...

On 2/14/2021 at 1:39 AM, Curious Sofa said:

I get what you're saying. I have thought about getting it. They have something like that for Saturn that also works on DC. Id be getting it for Saturn, as my DC collection is stacked. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cafeman said:

First I've heard that opinion.  I never used the steering wheel, mind you.     I still have my DC hooked up but haven't played some of these games for a few years, but I remember playing MSR, F355, Sega Rally 2, Daytona USA, Test Drive Le Mans, Speed Devils, Tokyo Extreme Racer, Hydro Thunder. I don't recall awful controls. 

Agree, also not sure about the steering wheel.  But yes, the ones Cafeman mentioned as well as several others like Wacky Races, Re-Volt, Rush 2049, Demolition Racer: No Exit, and Looney Tunes Space Race.  Toy Commander's controls (including both racing and flying) are very twitchy and take much getting used to, but you do get there eventually.  Dreamcast is generally known for it's top quality Fighters and Racers.  I hear what Greg2600 is saying, the DC analog controls do start out comparatively twitchy.  But as was said, you can not only change the settings in some games, but others you get used to them and all's good.

MSR is simply not playable.  Besides the point that the hard plastic analog will numb your thumb after 10 minutes.  The deadzone on the games is often way too large a range, and you cannot change it.  I always assumed that was meant for a wheel, but then I tried it and it was just as bad.  The system for racing was the Xbox, the only one with analog triggers for gas/brake, and a good stick.  I might be spoiled I suppose.  I wish there was a better racing controller for the console.  I was hopeful the retro fighters pad would be, but I think the problems are simply in the game code.

I did some more research and it seems that the Dreamcast version of Sonic Adventure 2, like the Dreamcast version of Sonic Adventure, is the best version of that game, as well. It makes me kind of sad that all of the ports of both games on more powerful hardware than the Dreamcast are still worse than the original Dreamcast versions, but at least it means that the original versions have a place in every Dreamcast collection. Sonic Adventure specifically is the best-selling Dreamcast game, so it's pretty cheap and easy to find, so there's no reason not to pick it up unless you hate Sonic in general. It seems that lots of the original generation of Sonic fans from the Genesis/MD era, including myself, do have mixed feelings about Sonic Adventure 2 overall, but if you want to play Sonic Adventure 2, this is the best version to play.