IGNORED

Atari 400 Newbie

Emehr

Never dreamed I'd ever be in the 8-bit forum but here goes. I just scored an Atari 400 at a Goodwill this weekend (with the box and power supply!) and finally had a chance to test it last night. It fires up nice and the memo pad comes up. There's one issue, though. I noticed a rattly noise inside when I would tilt the unit this way and that so I opened it up to see what the fuss was about and noticed the speaker was just floating around inside. It was still hooked up but I can't tell where it's supposed to mount! I don't see any plastic tabs or grills or anything that say "The speaker belongs here". Any tips on that would be much appreciated.

And I can't start a "newbie" thread without asking the typical newbie question: what are some of the better games to keep an eye out for this system? I understand the Atari 8-bits are essentially the same as a 5200 (of which I also have, but my library is minuscule) and I have an idea of what's out there but otherwise I'm completely new to the Atari 8-bit scene. I've checked out the atarimania site and did some lookin' but I'd love to hear some opinions. Thanks!

don't worry about the speaker being lose, they are supposed to just sit between the pegs at the bottom r/h side of the lower case half.

I would say that if you only have 16k then it is best to stick to carts.

My faves over the years have been:

Asteroids - love 4 player mode

Miner 2049'er

Centipede

Squish'em

Donkey Kong

River Raid

Deluxe Invaders (Roklan)

Atari invaders

Pole Position

Pac Man

Robotron 2084 - fantastic if toy can get a copy with the 2 joystick holder, B+C had them recently

H.E.R.O

Dig Dug, the later 5200 release

Joust

Popeye

Blue Max

Choplifter

Fort Apocalypse

Frogger

Missile Command

Track and Field

If you want to invest, then an upgrade to 48k and a disc drive or sio2pc/sio2sd would open a lot of doors

Thanks for all of the feedback! I can't wait to dig into this machine. I'll definitely have to play around with programming it, too. That's a given :). The box says it has 16K of RAM. What's the prescribed method for upgrading to 48K?

• 1 month later...

B & C Computervisions and Video 61 have a bunch of cartridges that will work on 16K machines. If you call the stores they should be able to tell you what will work and what won't. Or look on their webpages which have info telling some of the requirements to run certain games. Also, there's Andrew Krieg's "Cartridge List for Classic Atari 800/XL/XE Computers" at the address my.execpc.com/~krieg/links/8bit.carts. The list tells the requirements to run many of the carts.

Edited by littleman jack