IGNORED

Unknown 'Sancho' game tracked down

Rom Hunter

It all makes sense now.

Tilt magazine shows us two pictures of 'Sancho' games, which are in fact VentureVision games.

One is Innerspace (released as Laser Gates by Imagic)

The second one is Solar Defense.

Both were sequels to Rescue Terra I.

I'm now 99.9% certain that Solar Defense once existed.

Both Tilt screenshots were taken from a TV screen.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

No, only as Laser Gates.

Frostbite,

Both screenshots (one of Innerspace / Laser Gates and one of Solar Defense) were wrongly announced as Sancho games:

post-6203-1205327546_thumb.jpg

As you can read, in the same sentence the manufacturer Venture(Vision) is mentioned (to which screenshots #11 and #12 truly belong).

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

What other pics?

The B&W one in the first post was shown in the April '83 issue of Videogaming Illustrated magazine.

The one in our database is from the May/June '83 issue of Tilt magazine shown above.

The difference with a vapourware title is that at least the Tilt screenshot was taken from a TV screen.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

A noter également les jeux Sancho, de grande qualite ainsi que ceux de la Venture: les droits sur ces derniers ont par ailleurs été rachetés pour l´Europe par EMK qui envisage des les fabriquer en France. Une tentative courageuse qui mérite d´être encouragée.
To also note the Sancho plays, of great quality like those of the Venture: the rights on the latter were in addition repurchased for Europe by EMK which plans to manufacture them in France. A courageous attempt which deserves to be encouraged.

A noter également les jeux Sancho, de grande qualite ainsi que ceux de la Venture: les droits sur ces derniers ont par ailleurs été rachetés pour l´Europe par EMK qui envisage des les fabriquer en France. Une tentative courageuse qui mérite d´être encouragée.
To also note the Sancho plays, of great quality like those of the Venture: the rights on the latter were in addition repurchased for Europe by EMK which plans to manufacture them in France. A courageous attempt which deserves to be encouraged.

So Sancho bought the rights to Solar Defense and planned to sell it in Europe? That would make sense. I read that Exocet and Sea Hawk were originally programmed by Ultravision, and finally released by Sancho. Then again, I can't remeber where I read that, so I could be wrong.

I read that Exocet and Sea Hawk were originally programmed by Ultravision, and finally released by Sancho.

Ultravision never "programmed" anything...they just imported junk from Taiwan.

Ah, so that's it. Thanks. :)

All of those Funvision/Ultravision and Panda/Sancho games had origins in Hong Kong and Taiwan. Same deal with the Zellers games and some of the ZiMAG stuff. They were all somewhat closely related, but I've never been able to find out who was behind all that junk.

That's right, Thomas.

Please don't mix things up here guys.

Fox,

I still haven't tracked down the unknown Home Vision game:

post-6203-1205400445_thumb.jpg

Could be a mock-up.

The other pictures on the Copy Cart are most probably not VCS.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

So Sancho bought the rights to Solar Defense and planned to sell it in Europe?

Doesn't the quote say something completely different? Like EMK bought the rights on Ventrue(Vision) games for Europe? :?

Whoops. Looks like I completely misread the quote. Sorry about that.

I'm not sure where my mind was last night. I apologize.

Edited by MagMax667

The more I look at that blurry photo the more I think it is a hack of Lilly Adventure?

I thought the same at first. But then, this would have to be a very early version. If you check closely, the screenshot and the game don't have very much in common.

E.g. one could even recognize a Missile Command hack there.

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone interested in reading up on more about VentureVision's prototype and many others. Check out this webpage:

http://www.digitpress.com/faq/vcsalt/cc_vcsalt.htm

Great article on unreleased prototypes with plenty of pictures

Here you will find a bigger picture of Solar Defense along with the press release description. Really cool page to check out especially if you like to look at prototypes screenshots. Also it does a lot of comparing the press release to the actual prototype too. Great stuff!

Also, check out the mock up in some of the screenshots to prove that the Atari 2600 was capable of doing the screenshot(s) featured in the press release. Some pretty talented Atari 2600 programmers!

Edited by TheGreatPW