IGNORED

2600 Imagic Swords & Serpents

espire8

a 2600 version will lack the keypad function

Is there any reason why you couldn't use the keypad? I'm unfamiliar with the original game; is it strictly a one-player game, or is it a multi-player game? If it's a one-player game, you could use a joystick in the left controller port and a keypad in the right controller port! :)

Michael

The 1st level looks like it will be 4 static screens wide and 4 scrolling screens tall (16 screens all together) if this were to be done using the Dark Chambers screen layout.

Do you think that with proper level design the game could still work, if a level would be just one giant vertically scrolling stripe?

Anyway, this is an amazing project, I wish I wasn't busy with Jumpman right now, else I might give it a try :)

Thanks Cyborgoth, A single vertical scrolling playfield is an idea -though the level should wrap around from top to bottom, I'll investigate that possibility, sounds like a good one. Sure wish you had time to do the honors but your comments are welcome, as is everyone else's.

SeaGTGruff, the keypad in the original game was mostly used by the wizard and for checking the status screen. But I figure having the status available in the main game screen is a good solution to not having a keypad.

I tried to incorporate as much as I can from the original status into the menu using the maximum six characters per line normaly used for the 6-digit score keeping. I refinded the mock with some new wall texture and added more color and detail to the dragon, I didn't like the way the bottom wing looked separate from it's body so I opted for a 3/4 view instead of the overhead which I think this time came out far better than the last version posted.

post-7623-1206062447_thumb.png

I pretty much found room for how all the spells attained can be displayed using icons. There's currently a "fireball" spell in the menu and the key below just represents how far you have access to the deeper levels according to the # of keys collected one per level. There's only 3 keys to 4 levels (since you already start on level 1).

This is possibly as close to a real screen shot as I can get with this mock up as this binary hack demonstrates S_S_playfield___Asymmetrical.bin The colors are monochrome but this would make for many interesting experiments if there were a playfield color table in the code so I can perform some training in coloring exercises too.

Next I'll try to mock parts of the first level dungeon.

I tried to incorporate as much as I can from the original status into the menu using the maximum six characters per line normaly used for the 6-digit score keeping.

A similar sprite layout is possible, but only 2:2:2, not 3:1:2. Maybe better have valor points only from 0-99 and only the down counter for treasures?

Or you switch the status screen on/off with the b/w switch, just like Starmaster does with the map screen.

Thanks for those suggestions, I'll just place the valor points and treasure counter in the middle and the lives counter on the left.

So far I think the first level is going to be larger than I realize. It's nearly 18 screens in total. The pink squares are where the teleportation scrolls are located and the X is the exit to the next dungeon.

The maze pic is very close to the original but I might try some memory saving variations that will reuse certain parts of the same mazes by flipping them and piecing them together in various patterns. As it looks right now, l think alot of space will be needed if there's gonna be all 4 levels. Guess some maze redesigning is in order..

post-7623-1206180810_thumb.png

Thanks. btw, If at all possible, do anyone know where I can obtain the rom image of S&S for an intv emulator? I searched the web to no avail and I need this to generate screen shots to help me map out the other 3 levels of the game.

Edited by espire8

though I still can't seem to run this rom on the intv Bliss emulator I just installed on my win xp tonight. maybe not xp compatible I suppose?

I just tried to run Bliss and the few other Inty emulators that I know of, and none of them worked properly. Bliss loaded, loaded the rom and sat there with a black screen. Since I'm running Vista, I went and tried it on an XP box and the same thing. :?

Anyhow, I loaded the rom into PSPInt and it did load and start properly.

I just tried to run Bliss and the few other Inty emulators that I know of, and none of them worked properly. Bliss loaded, loaded the rom and sat there with a black screen. Since I'm running Vista, I went and tried it on an XP box and the same thing. :?

Well at least i'm not alone. Okay, guess I'll just take pictures off the tv screen with my camera while running the game on real hardware. Sure glad I picked up a used S&S cart earlier -but thanks for sharing the rom; i may try to figure out that emu "later" :D .

• 2 weeks later...

The map for level 1 is completed, both intv and vcs versions to compare, but the vcs still needs a little more refining.

INTELLEVISION

post-7623-1207283136_thumb.png

The intv is a 6 x 7 grid of 42 screens.

ATARI 2600

post-7623-1207284095_thumb.png

The vcs is a 3 x 5 grid of 15 screens. (same proportions at 60% less resolution)

Though the maps are almost identical the number of vertical columns used are drasticaly different between the two. Intv use 19 vertical columns and 11 horizonal while the vcs has 40 vertical and 13 horizonal, more than twice the intv on the vertical resulting in a single screen that's more than double the width.

Because the vcs is not a "free scrolling" maze as the intv, it must be decided how to divide up the map and make some alterations so the walls are not directly at the edge of the screen which will be a problem if a player were trying to cross where the "off screen" wall is not seen.

post-7623-1207285054_thumb.png

Next update, -so there's less clutter on the vcs screen, I'll try to keep as much of the original maze pattern and will "eliminate" some of the walls in map 1 instead of moving them around.

Edited by espire8

Sorry gambler, there's no playable bin demo at this time and most likely won't happen, unless a seasoned programmer does decide to pick this up, because I can't code. I'm just dealing with the "designing" stages as a visual springboard referance so programmers and others can get a glimps of what the finished game can look like. Think of this as the "story boarding" process for a possible "motion picture" release. Hopefully this presentation I'm putting together -for what it's worth- will convince someone whose up to the challenge of bringing this game to realization. I do appreciate your enthusiasm though! ;-)

Okay, here's what I concider to be a finished revised first level design:

some minor changes to the maze so the walls have the illusion of showing up on both sides of the screen when entering and exiting from either sides.

Also added some different and additional sprites for the occasion. note the chest and tombstones.

post-7623-1207777046_thumb.png

post-7623-1207777886_thumb.png

Next up --

Map level 2.

Edited by espire8
  • Like 1