IGNORED

HSC Season 5 Week 28: Frostbite

Ze_ro

Important Note: This week's competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

The object of the game is to help Frostbite Bailey build igloos by jumping on floating blocks of ice. Be careful to avoid these deadly hazards: clams, snowgeese, Alaskan king crab, grizzly polar bears, and the rapidly dropping temperature.

s_Frostbite_2.png

Game Information
  • Game Name: Frostbite
  • Released By: Activision, 1983
  • Left Difficulty: N/A
  • Right Difficulty: N/A
  • Game Mode: Game 1 - Regular
  • Chosen By: lonewolfette9847

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday, Mar 26th at 1:00 AM (CST).

Current High Scores
  1. 357,020 (StanJr) [+11]Frostbite.jpg[+2]
  2. 250,240 (Captain Beard) [+10]Frostbite.jpg[+2]
  3. 241,380 (Deteacher) [+9]Frostbite.jpg[+2]
  4. 235,560 (toymailman) [+8]Frostbite.jpg[+2]
  5. 184,970 (SpiceWare) [+7]Frostbite.jpg[+2]
  6. 176,870 (midnight magicman) [+6]Frostbite.jpg[+2]
  7. 174,340 (rheffera) [+5]Frostbite.jpg[+2]
  8. 133,350 (theking21083) [+4]Frostbite.jpg[+2]
  9. 132,160 (aftermac) [+3]Frostbite.jpg[+2]
  10. 126,730 (lonewolfette9847) [+2]Frostbite.jpg[+2]
  11. 103,090 (Kurt_Woloch) [+1]Frostbite.jpg[+2]
  12. 100,600 (Gemini) [+1]Frostbite.jpg[+2]
  13. 83,610 (Mister VCS) [+1]Frostbite.jpg[+2]
  14. 28,110 (Bentley Bear!) [+1]
  15. 27,240 (phaxda) [+1]
  16. 27,160 (keilbaca) [+1]
  17. 24,250 (Impaler_26) [+1]
  18. 7390 (lucifershalo) [+1]

Best Tips
  • Captain Beard [+2]

Challenges
  • Patch Challenge - Arctic Architect - Score 40,000 points or higher and get 2 bonus points!

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 1,832,730 (Todd Rogers)
  2. 334,880 (Keith C Post)
  3. 314,630 (J F Lavall)
Game 1, Difficulty B)
Current Standings

1. Deteacher [262]
  2. toymailman [248]
  3. keilbaca [164]
  4. Captain Beard [124]
  5. theking21083 [109]
  6. Impaler_26 [91]
  7. homerwannabee [90]
  8. Kurt_Woloch [89]
  9. PressureCooker2600 [86]
  10. aftermac [86]
  11. Nathan Strum [82]
  12. rheffera [58]
  13. SpiceWare [57]
  14. Gemini [51]
  15. Recycled [44]
  16. Mister VCS [44]
  17. phaxda [43]
  18. Bentley Bear! [42]
  19. DarthCalvin [36]
  20. LarcenTyler [36]
  21. Blackjack [35]
  22. Christophero Sly [35]
  23. midnight magicman [26]
  24. shadow460 [25]
  25. Rom Hunter [23]
  26. ed1475 [19]
  27. Butterwasp [18]
  28. the 5th ghost [17]
  29. theKLT [12]
  30. doctorclu [11]
  31. lucifershalo [11]
  32. godzillajoe [11]
  33. Artlover [9]
  34. atariwarrior [9]
  35. Dauber [9]
  36. keitaro [7]
  37. Goochman [6]
  38. atari2600land [6]
  39. Omegamatrix [6]
  40. vintagegamecrazy [5]
  41. chuckwalla [5]
  42. Nognir [5]
  43. MrBeefy [5]
  44. cosmosiss [3]
  45. Shannon [3]
  46. Crazy Climber [3]
  47. SeaGtGruff [3]
  48. lonewolfette9847 [2]
  49. gospeedde [2]
  50. Phantom [2]
  51. Snider-man [2]
  52. EricDeLee [1]
  53. RJ [1]
  54. jboypacman [1]
  55. [d2f]Iggy*SJB [1]
  56. HatNJ [1]
  57. KaeruYojimbo [1]

Scoring Points in Frostbite
  • Points per Iceblock - 10 x level number
  • Entering Igloo - 160 x level number
  • After level eight, the scoring remains constant at 90 and 1440 respectively.
  • Catch a fish - 200 points
  • Each degree remaining on entering igloo - 10 x degrees x level number

Hints and Tips
  • Learn to use the red button sparingly. The best time to use it is to 'fake out' the bear by drawing him to the middle of the screen and quickly changing direction.
  • Don't be greedy with the fish. Get them if they come by. However, going out of your way often uses too much time.
  • Another thing: You can move Frostbite Bailey in mid-air and, at the higher levels, you can really hook him around. Check out just how far he'll go.
  • Notice that hazards only get you when both feet are planted. Therefore, it's possible to jump 'around' hazards since they can't hurt you in mid-air.
  • Now here's a secret tip I've decided to share: If you jump up onto the extreme left of the shore, the bear can't get you. It's Frostbite's emergency hide-out.

We also played this game in the High Score Club before, you might want to check out that thread for more hints and tips
  1. On the early levels, you can outrun the bear, so don't be afraid to jump in front of him as long as you head straight for your igloo.
  2. There aren't four horizontal lines on the playing field, there are five. Don't forget you can always jump to shore to escape a hairy situation, just don't linger long enough for the bear to getcha!
  3. As the game gets faster and faster, you actually gain more control -- your jumps fly farther and you can really hook your guy in mid-air. You can even change direction (multiple times, if you're quick enough) mid-jump! So practice jumping over enemies, landing between them, etc. Don't get stuck by only jumping straight up and down.
  4. If things get really hairy, take a breather, if possible, by resting momentarily in a row occupied by fish. Sometimes a moment's respite is all you need to regain your bearings and finish out the board.
  5. Try to jump behind the enemy as they pass -- they can't change direction, so it will buy you some time.
  6. If you're lucky enough to have racked up all 9 available lives, sacrifice yourself before entering the igloo. That way, you can maximize your time for that board and thereby maximize your score. Most of the points in this game are in the timer and once the game speeds up, you essentially get a free guy every board -- so you really don't need to sweat losing a guy on nearly every board. Just try not to lose two or three. :)
The Manual
As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy and a scanned copy available online for your viewing pleasure. Here are the hints it provides:
Captain Beard

--Zero

This game reminds me of Q-Bert... fortunately, it's not that hard... x_x;

But, I seem to have done fairly well for my first attempt: 100,600

Should be able to improve that as the week progresses once I have more time to play since I haven't played this game very long so far... according to my clock that's only a half-hour's worth of effort.

post-17630-1205979686_thumb.png

16,470 from a tired man...but I am back to 2600-Hsclub!

Huh??? Why is there so much room between your score line and the 2nd display line? Are you playing a different version?

That's the PAL version.

Hmmm... but the PAL version is slower than the NTSC one, isn't it? So that's not really fair to compare...

Hmmm... but the PAL version is slower than the NTSC one, isn't it? So that's not really fair to compare...

Believe me, the PAL version gets very fast...

AtariAge is an international community including "PAL-land". It would not be fair to bann PAL-members

from the HSC... the club is for fun! I think some emulated games are slower/faster than the original-

games! I am not into emulation, but who cares?

My next Frostbite score is not dangorous for your glory...

post-98-1206091120_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mister VCS

Not necessarily - when I wrote Medieval Mayhem I made 2 speed tables so the fireballs would move at the same speed on both systems. You can read up on how that works on my Atari NTSC vs PAL vs SECAM page.

I don't know if Frostbite is set up for subpixel positioning.

after 15 min of playing for the first time

ridiculous I know

I go back

That's a decent score for your first time -- I recall it took me a few days before I got the hang of it a couple years back when I first started. In fact, for nearly a week, my non-Atari-addicted wife was routinely kicking my ass (this is one of the handful of games she actually enjoys.)

What's really strange about this game is, once you get good at it, it's the first few levels that are really hard. Everything... moves... so... very... slow... ly. When I sit down to play a round, I generally have to reset three or four times before I make it through the first board without dying. Once you get used to having to jump jump jump jump super quickly, it's hard to go back to the less demanding boards.

What's really strange about this game is, once you get good at it, it's the first few levels that are really hard. Everything... moves... so... very... slow... ly. When I sit down to play a round, I generally have to reset three or four times before I make it through the first board without dying. Once you get used to having to jump jump jump jump super quickly, it's hard to go back to the less demanding boards.

I'll second this.

I can usually get the magic fish now, but still can't beat my best score again yet. After getting over 100k it is really hard to start at Level 1 again. You can't control the jumps with any horizontal motion and everything is extremly slow. I rarely get by level 1 without loosing a life and thus an instant reset occurs. :)

OK, time for some tips (I don't remember reading these on the last HSC page, but I'm not entirely certain...)

1) On the early levels, you can outrun the bear, so don't be afraid to jump in front of him as long as you head straight for your igloo.

2) There aren't four horizontal lines on the playing field, there are five. Don't forget you can always jump to shore to escape a hairy situation, just don't linger long enough for the bear to getcha!

3) As the game gets faster and faster, you actually gain more control -- your jumps fly farther and you can really hook your guy in mid-air. You can even change direction (multiple times, if you're quick enough) mid-jump! So practice jumping over enemies, landing between them, etc. Don't get stuck by only jumping straight up and down.

4) If things get really hairy, take a breather, if possible, by resting momentarily in a row occupied by fish. Sometimes a moment's respite is all you need to regain your bearings and finish out the board.

5) Try to jump behind the enemy as they pass -- they can't change direction, so it will buy you some time.

6) If you're lucky enough to have racked up all 9 available lives, sacrifice yourself before entering the igloo. That way, you can maximize your time for that board and thereby maximize your score. Most of the points in this game are in the timer and once the game speeds up, you essentially get a free guy every board -- so you really don't need to sweat losing a guy on nearly every board. Just try not to lose two or three. :)

6½) If you plan to sacrifice yourself anyway, now would be a good time to go fishing... rack up a few extra points while you let the timer run down by gobbling up any fish that come your way.

Edited by Captain Beard