IGNORED

$3700 Bounty for CIB LochJaw, CIB Condor Attack

DreamTR

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Bump. Let's change the prices. $2500 for Lochjaw and $1200 for Condor Attack

I feel so much better about what I paid for both of them CIB now. :D

Tell me about it! My brother paid $2 for it CIB!

Hey, I still think he has another...$1200 for $2?

Heck, if I find the copy and talk it over with him, I will let you know, DreamTR!

But seriously, $1,200 for a video game? $2,500 for a video game? That's... just WOW...

Wish you luck on your search, though. :)

Edited by megasdkirby

;) i was thinking the same thing! :P

Rick

Well, would some of the more senior members care to volunteer what they paid back when they purchased said items? All the little smileys used in this and other topics have this wink, wink secret joystick handshake, back-slapping mentality that I find slightly off-putting.

EDIT: I am genuinely serious as to values, but of course this means people would have to volunteer. I started earnestly collecting Atari carts back in 1993, but all I had access to really was thrift stores, garage sales, those newsprint trading magazines, and word of mouth. In 1994, the wonders of rec.games.video.classic and others were revealed to me, which helped to expand my limited geographic region (I was not in a rich tech area like people in California or Texas for example). And then along came eBay in 1997. Did people start getting these incredible smiley deals in the 80s, too?

Edited by Zwackery

Well, would some of the more senior members care to volunteer what they paid back when they purchased said items? All the little smileys used in this and other topics have this wink, wink secret joystick handshake, back-slapping mentality that I find slightly off-putting.

Wise words........ :)

I see what you're saying, but in defense of those guys, I believe their posts merely reflect their astonishment to DreamTR's (very) high offers to buy these games.

Remember, these are DreamTR's prices. I don't take that as thinking that's what I'm going to have to pay for those games. Nor do we all need to believe that that's what those games are now worth. That's what he is willing to pay and I respect that and think that's also a good way to increase his chances of obtaining these titles.

Good luck DreamTR!

;) i was thinking the same thing! :P

Rick

EDIT: I am genuinely serious as to values, but of course this means people would have to volunteer. I started earnestly collecting Atari carts back in 1993, but all I had access to really was thrift stores, garage sales, those newsprint trading magazines, and word of mouth. In 1994, the wonders of rec.games.video.classic and others were revealed to me, which helped to expand my limited geographic region (I was not in a rich tech area like people in California or Texas for example). And then along came eBay in 1997. Did people start getting these incredible smiley deals in the 80s, too?

I'm not a senior member, but:

Dino - Boxed Condor Attack - $900 (2005)

Edited by Dino

Well, would some of the more senior members care to volunteer what they paid back when they purchased said items?

Less.

All the little smileys used in this and other topics have this wink, wink secret joystick handshake, back-slapping mentality that I find slightly off-putting.

Probably just as off-putting as people making demands, wanting to know what person X paid for item Y. Posting prices for ultra rare items is a mistake in my opinion, it makes vultures re-sellers constantly think they can get $$$$ for items that were sold amongst serious collectors in private.

See, no smiley's.

I see what you're saying, but in defense of those guys, I believe their posts merely reflect their astonishment to DreamTR's (very) high offers to buy these games.

Remember, these are DreamTR's prices. I don't take that as thinking that's what I'm going to have to pay for those games. Nor do we all need to believe that that's what those games are now worth. That's what he is willing to pay and I respect that and think that's also a good way to increase his chances of obtaining these titles.

Good luck DreamTR!

i agree 100%

200% on the good luck to DreamTR! hope you get them man! :)

Rick

Edited by Rick Weis

Thanks to Dino for volunteering the "demanded" info, and I apologize to DreamTR for hijacking the thread.

The "demanded" wasn't directly in response to your post, there are people far worse, who have nothing better to do than watch what other collectors buy on ebay all day long. Some people even ask sellers about what they sold their item for and to whom, when it comes to private transactions!

Would you agree that if you would have picked up a CIB Condor Attack for $25 in 2003, that it would be mentally challenged to post that information right now, especially if you'd consider selling it sometime in the near future? The title and amount, as well as the intention of selling are purely hypothetical of course.

One thing needs to be kept in mind. Pricing rare Atari 2600 items is not an exact science. This is especially true with items that rarely show up for auction. Most collectibles are usually more common. And because of that you can get an idea about what something is worth. But when something has not shown up for auction in over 2 years it now becomes anyone's guess as to what that will be worth. A good example of this would be a CIB Lochjaw. I can't remember the last time that title has even appeared on Ebay. In fact I can't remember the last time someone has publicly proclaimed that they acquired this item. Because of this there is no way to tell what the demand is. So even if all private sells were made public this would still not help much on what the item was worth. That was basically what the person was willing to pay at the particular moment in time. Nothing more and nothing less. In statistics the information would be regarded as insignificant.

Yeah, the Lochjaw is a big if. Even with these offers, it's not like people (resellers) are lining up to sell me the game. It has not been on eBay CIB in years. The only I saw last was in Joe Santulli's private collection on a tech show segment I watched.

Condor Attack I think is a fair offer, but you never know these days. It all depends on what people are willing to pay, and I'm pretty picky with what I am after, and even pickier when you realize I don't have much to collect these days. Those two titles are the last two items I want for the 2600, so I'm hoping someone takes the economy into consideration and wants to trade for my fair offers =)

Well, would some of the more senior members care to volunteer what they paid back when they purchased said items?

Less.

All the little smileys used in this and other topics have this wink, wink secret joystick handshake, back-slapping mentality that I find slightly off-putting.

Probably just as off-putting as people making demands, wanting to know what person X paid for item Y. Posting prices for ultra rare items is a mistake in my opinion, it makes vultures re-sellers constantly think they can get $$$$ for items that were sold amongst serious collectors in private.

See, no smiley's.

I think both of these games would sell above his asking prices IF they did pop up on eBay today so it isn't a huge issue but he does raise awareness. If these prices are the MOST he is willing to pay then this is his best shot. If he is going to shoot the moon the next time one comes for sale on eBay then he is not helping his cause.

The out of control on eBay did just fine without such a want ad and a nice boxed Lochjaw is a better catch.

I don't have much to collect these days. Those two titles are the last two items I want for the 2600

Wow, so you are not interested in the boxed Music Machine, Guantlet, Asterix, Video Life, and a few other super rare Atari 2600 items? :ponder:

Homerwanabee: I have most of the other stuff anyway, I think things like PAL Mangia (where I have a boxed one and it's converted, so basically the same as the NTSC one) and some of the stuff like that are just unattainable make more sense to have repros because of the nature of collecting 2600.

PAL Boxed Asterix is fine with me in my collection, as I think it is converted to NTSC anyway, but has the original box and manual.

My Music Machine has an original game and manual, but a repro box, so I'll live.

Gauntlet, repro, I will live. A lot of people have the "labelless" cart with one of the official excess inventory chips, and the repro I have of it is fine.

Video Life, repro game, box, manual, etc, and not to mention who knows if one of these days the guys that run Commavid ever re-release it, so I'm ok with what I have on that as well.

Some of those really high end releases draw such a fine line because there are so few, and it almost makes more sense to have a repro on them.

I sure as heck would rather pay close to $3000 for a boxed Lochjaw than close to $5000 for a boxed Video Life.

I think other than the games mentioned above (and my obvious want list), and Magicard, I have everything else original and boxed for 2600 that is not Pepsi Invaders, and Atlantis 2 (repros on those) (which don't really count as official releases) including the $1700 I spent on that CIB Out of Control on eBay a couple of years ago....

In any event, if I get them, great, if I don't, I'll keep looking, but I definitely wanted to raise awareness if someone needs some cash.

Good luck DreamTR!

Agreed.

The price is what one is actually willing to spend on it. I for one think it is ludicrous to spend so much on a video game that will surely just be stored in a basement and never to be played.

Besides, all those games will be eventually be sold or given away, unless a museum is formed.

For me, DreamTR is getting a little desperate in finding those games. It's cool that he/she wants them, but to offer that much for something that surely will never be used is just mind boggling.

I'll put it this way, and I want others to be honest: if my brother still has copies he found many years ago of the game (Condor Attack), how would a seller feel if he sold it to them for $1,200 when he only paid $2 for it? Hell, I know he gave some away to cool guys like Thomas Holzer, Tim Duarte, and Russ Perry Jr. But to pay that much for the game? For a video game?

For me, that's very unfortunate...

DreamTR, never loose hope. You WILL find a copy of the game and it will be much less than you are willing to pay for it. Heck, I think the flea market my brother got those copies from is still around. Maybe they have a few hidden around.

But I want you to think about something in the meantime...how would you feel spending $1,200 on something that someone spent $2 on? You probably won't care, but deep inside, you are probably angered/saddened by this. This is why I recommend not to pay those prices, because I know you can get them for much cheap.

I wish you luck on the hunt, though.

Edited by megasdkirby

But I want you to think about something in the meantime...how would you feel spending $1,200 on something that someone spent $2 on? You probably won't care, but deep inside, you are probably angered/saddened by this. This is why I recommend not to pay those prices, because I know you can get them for much cheap.

Huh? I don't think DreamTR is going to be able to find this for $2. Trust me on this one. Unless there really is some really big Condor Attack find that I do not know about.

Huh? I don't think DreamTR is going to be able to find this for $2. Trust me on this one. Unless there really is some really big Condor Attack find that I do not know about.

megasdkirby: Maybe years ago they were cheap, but with inflation and collecting, you're very far off with what these games are worth at the moment. I don't lowball anyone, and I don't play games. And to prove my point, no one has even come to me with an OFFER of these games yet, so that should tell you that people don't want to sell them even for these supposed "desperation" prices as you say.

How do you think the guy that bought the NWC Gold for $15,000 feels knowing some were sold for $2 or $50? How about all of the neat crazy collectables and items that are found in garage sales for cheap and sold for a lot of money. It's the equivalent of winning the lottery in a way, but they just aren't available "cheap" like you think they are. If they were, someone would have sold ONE copy of Lochjaw on eBay CIB in the past 2-3 years.

megasdkirby: Maybe years ago they were cheap, but with inflation and collecting, you're very far off with what these games are worth at the moment. I don't lowball anyone, and I don't play games. And to prove my point, no one has even come to me with an OFFER of these games yet, so that should tell you that people don't want to sell them even for these supposed "desperation" prices as you say.

How do you think the guy that bought the NWC Gold for $15,000 feels knowing some were sold for $2 or $50? How about all of the neat crazy collectables and items that are found in garage sales for cheap and sold for a lot of money. It's the equivalent of winning the lottery in a way, but they just aren't available "cheap" like you think they are. If they were, someone would have sold ONE copy of Lochjaw on eBay CIB in the past 2-3 years.

I thought about selling you mine for about a second, and then I thought "Nah, paper money won't be worth anything anymore next week anyway.". Come the end of the year, when half the country is in flames, and you got a truck full of water, gasoline and other eatable items, we may be able to talk then.