IGNORED

Atari ST vs Amiga?

GadgetUK, that's liberalism. "The truth is in the middle" rubbish.

No, you learn both sides then put yourself on the correct one. You cannot stay ahead of your enemy without knowing how he thinks.

An ST with no disk takes appx 45 sec to come to desktop and loads no Gem files from floppy. It does not take minutes,you are talking out your ass.

Yeah it does. A key part of GEM is GDOS which isn't in the rom. Unless a computer with one font and no printing capability appeals to you.

• Like 1

Yeah it does. A key part of GEM is GDOS which isn't in the rom. Unless a computer with one font and no printing capability appeals to you.

It's such an important feature that in all the years using ST computers I've never loaded it. And I suspect most other users didn't either. Hey, I know, lets head to UAB and start a thread about the drive clicking noise on the Amiga - that's a pointless waste of time too!

• Like 1

I print stuff all the time through my ST and I have never loaded GDOS, I don't think I have GDOS. Most everything I've printed has come through programs like word processors or graphic arts programs or desktop publishing like Calamus that use their own printer drivers. And outside of the word processors, with their own fonts, no, I've never considered changing the basic text font on my ST or Falcon.

• Like 2

No, you learn both sides then put yourself on the correct one. You cannot stay ahead of your enemy without knowing how he thinks.

Wrong,gdos was not required and nearly all users never used it. Again talking out your ass/ bet your never owned an ST. so ignorant,but entertaining.

Haha, and your view is extremist! I accept your opinion, its yours after all. Changing the way people think is hard, I prefer to make my own mind up based on facts and experience. I can see the best and worst in anything, but that doesn't mean I don't have preferences, or sit on the fence etc. Regards actual all out war, yes of course one needs to know their enemy, but one also needs to think about diplomatic solutions. In this particular case I cannot understand how you cannot appreciate the positives of the ST. For example, in built modulator, inbuilt PSU, an actual physical reset button - these are features that the Amiga lacks, that said there's a benefit of seperate replaceable components, but my preference is 'all in one'.

Edit: Scrap that, I have the answer, you've ready provided it and I guess it was clear from the start. You strongly believe in what you want to believe and ignore other opinion, and that's fine.

Edited by GadgetUK
  • Like 1

Haha, and your view is extremist! I accept your opinion, its yours after all. Changing the way people think is hard, I prefer to make my own mind up based on facts and experience. I can see the best and worst in anything, but that doesn't mean I don't have preferences, or sit on the fence etc. Regards actual all out war, yes of course one needs to know their enemy, but one also needs to think about diplomatic solutions. In this particular case I cannot understand how you cannot appreciate the positives of the ST. For example, in built modulator, inbuilt PSU, an actual physical reset button - these are features that the Amiga lacks, that said there's a benefit of seperate replaceable components, but my preference is 'all in one'.

My amiga's got all that stuff built in mate.

As for the positives of the ST, I know 'em, else I wouldn't have bought one to discover the bad, savvy?

As for the positives of the ST, I know 'em, else I wouldn't have bought one to discover the bad, savvy?

Seriously ? And you did not find power-on button on it :-o Otherwise you could see that it works fine, prints well without GDOS.

And please, before reply, try to check subject and maybe to apologise here because your errors (let's hope they weren't intentional) ..

My amiga's got all that stuff built in mate.

Interesting. Which model are you talking about?

My A1200's had an external power supply and no reset button. (although there was a keyboard combo that

was supposed to do it - many times software interefered with that though).

Not absolutely sure, but I believe other models had the same setup (A500 for example).

Edited by DarkLord

Interesting. Which model are you talking about?

My A1200's had an external power supply and no reset button. (although there was a keyboard combo that

was supposed to do it - many times software interefered with that though).

Not absolutely sure, but I believe other models had the same setup (A500 for example).

All 3 low-end Amigas all had external PSUs with idiotic power switches on the power brick only.

The one silver lining - they all powered and switched on their external floppy drives through voltage provided by the host computers disk drive port.

If you had a 500 you really should seek out a Bodega Bay. But I'm a bit prejudiced against console computers.

Oh my god Amiga power bricks, I've been fixing A1200s and A600 lately and having to put the psu brick next to the amiga on the bench just doesn't work (thick cables everywhere) pain in the bottom.

The atari is so much cleaner on the desk :)

Absolutely, I've been fixing a 500+ with extensive faults the last few weeks and powering it on and off frequently is a pain unless you have the brick on the desk...

I think theres a reliability argument against ST vs Amigas as well. I know the ST suffers from stupid joystick port dry joints and PSU issues but i've fixed way more Amigas over the years and done several with faulty DRAM - I've never had a single ST with faulty RAM, and infact i've only ever known 1 chip fail on the many STs sent to me for repair and that was a glu chip.

Oh my god Amiga power bricks, I've been fixing A1200s and A600 lately and having to put the psu brick next to the amiga on the bench just doesn't work (thick cables everywhere) pain in the bottom.

The atari is so much cleaner on the desk :)

I have no love for either. Remember, the ST has TWO power supplies to clutter the desk! It wasn't until a year later that they integrated the 520 PSU into the unit. But they never got the drive situation sorted out.

I like the traditional form factor units much better - (MEga ST, TT, most Amiga). Not only do they have an internal PSU, but you can set the monitor on top of them so they honestly take up less space.

The A1000 is still the best form factor of all with the integrated keyboard garage.

Obviously, if you do repairs you don't get to pick and choose. It seems like the 500 would be one of the more annoying things to have on the bench. :(

A1000 is the ultimate in close but no cigar computing.

Good looks for a non Apple, keyboard garage, mouse/joyports in a nice location, great keyboard.

But half the chipram is where a sensible person wants to put the second drive bay, floppy kickstart, no gary chip, and the expansion slot is external. All that cripples it, not that I'd say no to having one.

Absolutely, I've been fixing a 500+ with extensive faults the last few weeks and powering it on and off frequently is a pain unless you have the brick on the desk...

I didn't think 500/+ were worth fixing to be honest, ebay is full of them... Sentimental value?

Edit: Scrap that, I have the answer, you've ready provided it and I guess it was clear from the start. You strongly believe in what you want to believe and ignore other opinion, and that's fine.

Nah I learn the other in it's totality and that's how I know it's wrong.

Opinions aren't real anyway. They always tell you in school that opinions can't be right or wrong, well if that's true, it's my opinion that the sky is pink and nobody can tell me it's wrong because it's an opinion.

Obviously "opinion" is just a word to hide behind when someone questions something you think, a get out of jail free card for the mind. Bugger that.

Edited by Daft_Horse