IGNORED

Any Streets Of Rage 2 Fans?

Aye, SoR2 was and remains one of my favourite games; good for a quick bash when things are annoying or there are a few minutes to kill. These days I carry around a copy with Picodrive on my GP2X. Mmmm, portable Streets of Rage goodness.....

For anyone here who for some reason hasn't heard of it, there's an ongoing Streets of Rage Remake project; it combines elements of all three SoR games into one huge high-res multiple-path brawl. It's currently a PC-only game, but as it's Fenix based it might be possible to compile a GP2X version at some point. 'Current version is v4.01b; we're currently waiting for BomberLink to complete v5, which is looking very good indeed.

http://www.bombergames.net

Btw, SoRR v4 has a remixed sound track as standard, though there are SoR2 music files available to replace them.

I with out a doubt LOVE SOR 2, I love the action, I love the enemies the lay out of the game is perfect. I own SOR 1, but I think SOR 2 is far better. I have both on the Genesis and have been looking for SOR3 for sometime, in order to complete my collection. If you have one to spare PM me...

If you happen to have a modded XBox and a VGA adapter, the game looks absolutely stunning on a VGA monitor with the right settings enabled. Beats even RGB in my opinion. Of course that goes for any emulated game on the XBox if you have the right setup, but SOR2 looks especially good.

Chris

• 1 year later...

BUMP of over a year! But this seemed to be the thread to do it in.

I have been playing my Genesis games a lot this spring and for the past week I've been playing SOR2 at least once a day. I've gotten good at it, I can easily beat the game on Normal using any of the characters. So I bumped up to Hard and I haven't beaten it yet. :) But that's okay, I find the game very fun and ... satisfying. Of course the graphics and music are the best seen on Genesis, but the gameplay man! So fun!

I have found three secret 1-Ups. To my surprise there is one on the opening level's 1st screen, hidden at lower left behind a foreground graphic! One is also hidden inside the truck as you exit it, and one that I always knew about is in the monster's cave, hidden in the marsh at screen bottom after you defeat the long-necked monstrous thing (I forget its name right now). Level 8 (the last level) eats my lives so I try to get there on the first continue; then I blow my lives/other two continues on level 8 and its mob onslaught of enemies.

Another thing I just discovered is a new move - hold the attack button (B by default) for a second or two and release when an enemy comes near. I NEVER knew that back in the day. But this game is chock full of moves and combo's, so much that I feel this is the best beat'em up ever.

I usually play as Alex. One easy strategy that I picked up on is to rythmically press the B button to 1-punch an enemy over & over until he (or "they" - you can do it to a crowd, each punch hitting all of them in unison) dies. This is opposed to pressing B more rapidly and going thru the 4 series of attack animation and knocking down the enemy faster, at which point they get back up if their health isn't depleted and attack you again. However in Hard mode, enemies mob and surround you more often, so this attack can't be used as frequently as on Normal difficulty.

Wow, I have had a blast playing this game. Is there any 16-bit game which compares to the depth, variety and audio/visuals? I know of Batman Returns on SNES by Konami (its not quite as good to me, but still good), and also Final Fight on Sega CD (Which I don't own and never see available). Just wondering if there are any really fun beat'em ups on Genesis or SNES that still hold up.

If you happen to have a modded XBox and a VGA adapter, the game looks absolutely stunning on a VGA monitor with the right settings enabled. Beats even RGB in my opinion. Of course that goes for any emulated game on the XBox if you have the right setup, but SOR2 looks especially good.

Chris

Having acquired an RGB setup, I have to retract my earlier statement. XBox emus on a VGA monitor look great, but nothing beats RGB.

Still love this game, and I am getting more into SOR3 which I initially didn't care for. I still don't like the first one. SOR2 is definitely the best beat-em-up I ever played, and it isn't nostalgia talking because I didn't first play it until like 2001.

Chris

Funnily enough I was playing the arcade version on MAME last night. I got all the way to the final boss (lotsa free play lol), when my daughter screwed me up by diverting my attention before I could continue the game.