IGNORED

I can't get my Atari 2600 to work

Rckchk83

After years and years of my Atari 2600 sitting around, I have finally pulled it out again, wanting to relive some of my childhood joys. I have everything I need for the system to work, but I can't seem to get anything, but static. I received in the mail today my coaxial adaptor and have screwed it in everywhere I figured it could possibly go and it just wouldn't work. I am using, of course, a newer t.v. (the reason for me buying a c.a.) and I'm just really stumped. I have the splitter on the back of my t.v. and was sure the adaptor would go there, but I still couldn't get anywhere. I even tried using my vcr and still no dice. Could someone suggest something, please? This is really frustrating. Thanks in advance!

After years and years of my Atari 2600 sitting around, I have finally pulled it out again, wanting to relive some of my childhood joys. I have everything I need for the system to work, but I can't seem to get anything, but static. I received in the mail today my coaxial adaptor and have screwed it in everywhere I figured it could possibly go and it just wouldn't work. I am using, of course, a newer t.v. (the reason for me buying a c.a.) and I'm just really stumped. I have the splitter on the back of my t.v. and was sure the adaptor would go there, but I still couldn't get anywhere.

What is "the splitter"? Your connection should be: 2600 cable > coaxial adaptor > TV (antenna or cable in). When using an RCA-to-"F" adapter, you do not use the original switchbox. You could use an A/B cable switch if desired, to eliminate the need to manually disconnect and reconnect cables, if you're using a TV that you also use to watch other program sources.

As Osbo wrote, be sure you have the console and TV set to the correct channels. When not used for long periods the power plug and jack contacts develop surface oxidation; try twisting the plug back and forth in the jack a few times. Also, AC adapter failures are fairly common (sometimes they burn out, but more often they just develop a break in the cord near the wall cube or console plug -- try wiggling it a bit in these places with everything switched on.) A break near the wall brick can be repaired almost invisibly by opening it up and shortening the cord by a few inches, but a break near the plug means replacing the plug, so it will be obviously non-original.

Another thing to try is to clean the channel selector switch on the console if you have one. I just got my system (5200) out this past weekend after over 20 years of storage and had the same problem. The switch was very dirty and oxidized I'm sure. I squirted some Deoxit (just a little) into the switch and flicked it back and forth a bunch of times, works great now.

I also removed the motherboard and removed and reseated all the socketed chips. You may not need to do that, but is probably a good idea if you still get intermittent problems.

http://www.radioshack.com/sm-deoxit-progol...pi-2104746.html

BTW, the Deoxit stuff works great on cartridge contacts too and just about everything else that's electro mechanical. Best of luck.

NP

Edited by NickelPlate

I know I'm no help, but I took my dad's 2600. He said it was broke. After purchasing another one, I tested out the power cord on my 2600, just to see if it WAS broke. It was fine...the power cord was bummed. Do you have any spare power cords to test it with?

Btw, if all else fails, break out a copy of Sneak n Peek and threatened to pop it into the VCS. Chances are it'll get scared and start working. :P

I know I'm no help, but I took my dad's 2600. He said it was broke. After purchasing another one, I tested out the power cord on my 2600, just to see if it WAS broke. It was fine...the power cord was bummed. Do you have any spare power cords to test it with?

Btw, if all else fails, break out a copy of Sneak n Peek and threatened to pop it into the VCS. Chances are it'll get scared and start working. :P

LOL!I have Sneak n Peek,MIB ,complete.Pretty weird,silly, game,but still a part of classic gaming history ;)

I just wanted to let you guys know that my Atari is up and running. Thank you all for your help. The power cord box has a switch on it and I had to crank it up the whole way and also I was screwing my c.a. into the wrong place. thanks again :)

:thumbsup:

I just wanted to let you guys know that my Atari is up and running. Thank you all for your help. The power cord box has a switch on it and I had to crank it up the whole way and also I was screwing my c.a. into the wrong place. thanks again :)

Fair thee well!And may many Atari travels accompany you on your gaming journey!

:yes!:

• 4 months later...

Thought I would post in this thread instead of stating a whole new on for the same thing. I got a nice cheap "don't know if it works" Rainbow Junior model off of eBay (eBay Auction -- Item Number: 120275354012) awhile back and it didn't work (of course). Finally had some time over the weekend and opened it up and gave the power switch and other controls a healthy dose of Deoxit and now it works just great! I have always wanted one of these small systems to use for testing carts and joysticks and it should work great for this--sitting on my desk next to my 800 XL... stuff is definitely starting to migrate out of my gaming closet!

Bottom line: Deoxit works. Well worth the initial investment (it's not as cheap as it should seem to be).

Another thing to try is to clean the channel selector switch on the console if you have one. I just got my system (5200) out this past weekend after over 20 years of storage and had the same problem. The switch was very dirty and oxidized I'm sure. I squirted some Deoxit (just a little) into the switch and flicked it back and forth a bunch of times, works great now.

I also removed the motherboard and removed and reseated all the socketed chips. You may not need to do that, but is probably a good idea if you still get intermittent problems.

http://www.radioshack.com/sm-deoxit-progol...pi-2104746.html

BTW, the Deoxit stuff works great on cartridge contacts too and just about everything else that's electro mechanical. Best of luck.

NP