IGNORED

Tone Toy 2008 (find new sound effects for your games)

Random Terrain

This is a program that lets you play with sounds and sound effects using loops. It can simply be used as a toy or you can use it to think up possible new sound effects for your games. For those who don't want to read the instructions on the Tone Toy 2008 page, remember that you can hold down the fire button to slow it down.

post-13-1206734495.png

youtube.com/watch?v=Zco1hnyDiVI

The link below has basic instructions, screen shots, and a demo video:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-program-tone-toy-2008.html

Super-duper extra special thanks to SeaGtGruff. Special thanks to Atarius Maximus, Fort Apocalypse, MausGames, and batari.

[A big thanks to jwierer for making VbB (the new bB IDE). I couldn't have gotten anything done without it.]

Note: Tone Toy 2008 is not in the public domain. It is free to use at this time, but please do not sell it or include it with collections of other software.

2019 Version of Tone Toy 2008

Here's the .bin file to use with your favorite emulator:

tone_toy_2008_2019y_12m_28d_2247t.bin

Here's the .bas file if you want to look at the code:

tone_toy_2008_2019y_12m_28d_2247t.bas

I updated the code and added the ability to switch to hexadecimal (press the select switch).

Old Version of Tone Toy 2008

Here's the .bin file to use with your favorite emulator:
tone_toy_2008_2008y_03m_25d_1828.bin

Here's the .bas file if you want to look at the code:
tone_toy_2008_2008y_03m_25d_1828.bas

[i was going to make the video using my Atari 2600 with S-Video and Stereo output modification, but it looks like the TIA chip is faulty, so the channel 1 sound is messed up. I guess I spent over $100 on an electronic paperweight. I decided to try the free screen recording software called CamStudio again. I never could get it to record clean sound. There was always a nasty buzzing. I Googled for info and fiddled around with my sound settings for 3 days and I eventually figured out how to get the line-out/line-in trick to work on my computer. Now CamStudio can record sound without the loud buzzing, so any Atari 2600 videos I make from now on will be done using Stella and CamStudio.]

Update:

I now use Bandicam for capturing video from Stella.

Remember that you can also create sound effects and music using the VbB Music and Sound Editor.

Edited by Random Terrain
  • Like 3

I think the frequency adjuster is a tad too sensitive, but other than that it's perfect, and very useful. Thanks for taking the time to make this, and sharing it.

Just remember that you can hold down the fire button to slow it down.

• Like 1

Wow, it's funny, I set the volume and tone, and then when scroll quickly through the frequencies, I get the same exact sounds of some Atari games. For instance, winning a round of Yar's Revenge it sets the tone to 8 and then quickly cycles through the frequencies. And for....Fast Eddie I think.....or was it Lock 'n Chase....Anyway that's tone 12 and then quickly cycling through the frequencies.

In fact, that's so simple and easy, I kind of feel cheated by the Atari programmers :x :)

• Like 1

Wow, it's funny, I set the volume and tone, and then when scroll quickly through the frequencies, I get the same exact sounds of some Atari games. For instance, winning a round of Yars' Revenge it sets the tone to 8 and then quickly cycles through the frequencies. And for....Fast Eddie I think.....or was it Lock 'n Chase....Anyway that's tone 12 and then quickly cycling through the frequencies.

In fact, that's so simple and easy, I kind of feel cheated by the Atari programmers :x :)

Yeah, I noticed those when I played with the first version of Tone Toy. It seems some classic Atari sound effects weren't that hard to come up with.

Now make us some games!! :D

I have so many ideas and things I'd like to try that I think my brain is going to explode before I get anything done. post-13-1207007880.gif

Now make us some games!! :D

I have so many ideas and things I'd like to try that I think my brain is going to explode before I get anything done. post-13-1207007880.gif

I guess i should better shut up and make some games myself! I have a lot of ideas too and started playing around with bB sometime last year. But as i am such a lazy bum i didn't get anything done... :roll:

Here's what i "made" with bB so far... :lolblue:

post-12950-1207607600_thumb.png

post-12950-1207607610_thumb.png

• Like 1

But as i am such a lazy bum i didn't get anything done... :roll:

Here's what i "made" with bB so far...

Now that we have VbB, there's no excuse anymore. I bet we'll be seeing more bB users and more games pretty soon. I just hope we'll be making some of those games.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm still trying to understand how to make the electric schocking effect from Berzerk with tonetoy, I've succeed to recreate shooting effects but not this one.

Shocking sound in Berzerk:

AUDF0: 00 for two frames, 01 for two frames, repeat

AUDC0: 08

AUDV0: 0E

--Will

• Like 1

For the sounds in the latest version of Seaweed Assault that hasn't been posted yet, I've been using Tone Toy 2008 to find a certain range of sounds by jerking the joystick back and forth in various areas, then I'll play with the range and volume using the Music and Sound Editor.

For the sounds in the latest version of Seaweed Assault that hasn't been posted yet, I've been using Tone Toy 2008 to find a certain range of sounds by jerking the joystick back and forth in various areas, then I'll play with the range and volume using the Music and Sound Editor.

Random Terrain: I think there's something to work it out, of course it will be a tedious task but everyone could put a stone in it, why not make a page with "sound presets" in batari language. they can be classified by game name like

Berzerk Electric Death (of course I haven't translated in batari, because it's late here, I will convert it tomorrow):

AUDF0: 00 for two frames, 01 for two frames, repeat

AUDC0: 08

AUDV0: 0E

maybe with time we'll have all a library of sound effect like Laser Last's laser beam, Beamrider's Crash ready to copy/paste in batari. Of course the risk is to have all game share the same sound effects, but I think it can be useful anyway.

Berzerk Electric Death (of course I haven't translated in batari, because it's late here, I will convert it tomorrow. . .

There's more than one way to do a sound effect, but if you are already using data to try to create unique sound effects, you can also use data to recreate the Berzerk shock sound, then fade it out or play with it in other ways. Below is an example of one way to do it. It's not the best way, it's just one way you can do it. Press the fire button to hear the sound effect.

Here's the .bin file to use with an emulator:

berzerk_sound_2010y_10m_12d_2049t.bin

Here's the bB code:

berzerk_sound_2010y_10m_12d_2049t.bas

Berzerk Electric Death (of course I haven't translated in batari, because it's late here, I will convert it tomorrow. . .

There's more than one way to do a sound effect, but if you are already using data to try to create unique sound effects, you can also use data to recreate the Berzerk shock sound, then fade it out or play with it in other ways. Below is an example of one way to do it. It's not the best way, it's just one way you can do it. Press the fire button to hear the sound effect.

Here's the .bin file to use with an emulator:

berzerk_sound_2010y_10m_12d_2049t.bin

Here's the bB code:

berzerk_sound_2010y_10m_12d_2049t.bas

Many thanks RT! I'm trying to access to "music and sound editor" from your website and it doesn't work.(edit: and the link for "Img to code" above doesn't work too)

If I've understood your program: it required four variables and 3 more as temp. (sight) my bro only left me One variable for handling sound.. I guess I have to manually write all the events for sound... or maybe I can punch him... will not work for sound effects, but I'll feel better!^^

e1wi11: the french paper is very interesting, and decribe all the aspect of production. the editor will make an english version of the magazine, so maybe it will be re-used in the english edition...

Edited by jbaudrand

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
Holy God, I can make some funky sounds with this! Combined with Paul Slocum's music kit and the Mark's Sound Demo rom, I can do anything!

You have my utmost respect Random Terrain.

Thanks. At least Tone Toy 2008 is finished, unlike everything else I've tried to do for the Atari 2600. :dunce: