IGNORED

2600 games with an ending?

Propane13

Ok, so which ones have an ending worthwhile to see? I've got some time free, and was thinking of dedicating some time to finishing a 2600 game.

Ones I've seen:

- Pitfall II

- Shuttle Orbiter

- SkateBoardin'

Ones I know about:

- Secret Quest

- Solaris

Ones I'm not sure about:

- Desert Falcon (?)

- Double Dragon (?)

- Fatal Run (?)

- Swordquest series (does it display something or just some numbers)?

Are there any other good ones I'm missing? Which ones are must-sees, and which are poor? Now, I'm not trying to count something simple as an ending-- Activision Boxing's ending of a "K.O." message doesn't qualify, and Airlock certainly doesn't.

Thanks,

-John K. Harvey

• Like 1

Well, I think most of the "adventure"-type games have distinct endings and some kind of victory sequence, however lame it may be:

Adventure

Haunted House

Superman

Raiders of the Lost Ark

E.T.

SwordQuest series

etc.

The only ones of these I've seen, though are Adventure and Haunted House. I've never finished Superman because it sucks, Raiders because I hate having to use 2 joysticks so I rarely play it, E.T. because I always fall in holes and get annoyed, and the SwordQuest games because they just seem pointless.

As for third-party games, the one ending I really want to see is the 84th level of Demon Attack. Sure, it just ends but I still want to see it for myself. Not that I ever will, since I usually die around level 14. :roll:

Dodge 'Em ends after you clear out a few screens. The score can vary, depending on how well you time your own deaths. My record's around 750.

Doesn't it also stop if you hit 1080, regardless of whether you've cleared all of the screens? I thought I read somewhere that 1080 was the max score.

The best I've done is in the 500s. I have a pattern that almost always works for the screens where there's only 1 crash car, but I usually die off quickly when I get to 2 crash cars! :x

Raiders of the Lost Ark

E.T.

I've never finished Raiders because I hate having to use 2 joysticks so I rarely play it, E.T. because I always fall in holes and get annoyed.

Yes, Raiders of the Lost Ark has an end screen. But its the same as the startscreen.

ET has too a little endscreen. You see Eliot in his house walking left and right. And ET at the bottom and stand there.

Ok, so that means I can scrap the Swordquest games.

So this leaves:

- Secret Quest

- Solaris

- Desert Falcon (?)

- Double Dragon (?)

- Fatal Run (?)

Are any worth it? I heard Double Dragon *can* be done with a lot of effort, and that it's not worth it. I've heard that Solaris takes expert skills. And I've heard that Fatal Run is impossible to beat on the 2600.

So that leaves Secret Quest or Desert Falcon. To be honest, I'm not a fan of Desert Falcon. So, should I do Secret Quest, or concentrate on one of the 3 above?

Thanks,

-John K. Harvey

Riddle of the Sphinx can be solved, but I don't remember any spectacular ending.  (Other than the relief of getting it done.)

It is kinda sad that after all the effort you put into running the Egyptian gauntlet, all you get for your efforts are your treasures being counted off and a final score. Not even any victory music!

I'd suggest trying to finish Secret Quest. It's an enjoyable game, and it's one I've thought about attempting myself...I've just never cleared the time to do it. It seems as though it would be easier to finish than Solaris. I just don't think I possess the necessary reflexes to finish that one. :P

I thought I'd heard somewhere that after finally hitting the end of Fatal Run, the game just stops...no cool ending whatsoever. That could just be my bad memory talking though. :)

Speaking of Riddle of the Sphinx, that's the only 2600 game I know of in which there's no measurable "high score" based on skill, because you can theoretically play forever, simply giving the same treasures to the same temples over and over to rack up points. It's nearly impossible to be killed if you know how to heal yourself and quench your thirst, so the high score for this game would have to be regarded as literally infinite.

I wonder what happens if you roll the score beyond six digits. I'll have to take an afternoon and find out one of these weeks.

CF

Yeah, Ghost Manor just shows the two kids in the cemetery out front of the house like in the start. Only it shows your score at the top.

StarMaster, and Space Attack also have endings. Although it is just the game stopping once all the enemies have been taken out.

Well, I think most of the "adventure"-type games have distinct endings and some kind of victory sequence, however lame it may be:

Adventure

Haunted House

Superman

Raiders of the Lost Ark

E.T.

SwordQuest series

etc.

The only ones of these I've seen, though are Adventure and Haunted House.  I've never finished Superman because it sucks, Raiders because I hate having to use 2 joysticks so I rarely play it, E.T. because I always fall in holes and get annoyed, and the SwordQuest games because they just seem pointless.

As for third-party games, the one ending I really want to see is the 84th level of Demon Attack.  Sure, it just ends but I still want to see it for myself.  Not that I ever will, since I usually die around level 14. :roll:

Superman doesn't really have much of an ending so you are not missing much. As for Demon Attack, if I remember correctly, the screen just goes black and that is it. I think there is also an annoying buzz like sound at the end also but I am not completely certain.

The original Breakout I'm pretty sure only gives you 2 screens to clear. After that you can still bounce the ball but no new blocks. Like Dodge em..there is a set amount of points you can aquire.

Also I guess you could say any game with a time limit has a definate ending altho usually the game just ends. Outer Space, Air Sea Battle, Etc...

I'd say Private Eye ends after you deliver the bad guy to jail. I don't remember anything fancy about it.

Spikes Peak sort of ends.... He goes to the top of the mountain and puts up a flag... But Then I think its starts over??? I could be wrong about that though.

I've heard Chuck Norris ends, but Ive never seen it. I always run out of time.

Ok,

To clear a few things up here:

Dodge'm - You have 3 lives - After completing 3 or 4 screens you automatically lose a life, hence after 3 rounds the game ends since it takes away your lives no matter what - 1080 is top score and is actually easy to do once you see the double fast car pattern

Raiders - Good game to fully finish - 2 joysticks shouldnt be that big a pain since you reall yonly need 1 at any one time - I enjoyed palying this one

Demon Attack just goes blank at said screen unless you have a fixed cart like I do :) - Demon Attack is another game that easy once you look at it a few times. I scored over a million and gave up due to boredom (this was during a contest where I didnt realize no one else had a fixed cart and couldnt score over 200K - :D )

Raiders - Good game to fully finish - 2 joysticks shouldnt be that big a pain since you reall yonly need 1 at any one time

True, but I seem to recall occasionally needing to use one right after the other. In a tough spot I wouldn’t want to have to make a “quick change” between controller ports while waiting for the snakes or the thief to come get me.