IGNORED

2600 games with an ending?

Propane13

zylon: u r earning the right to approach the castle, and to get to the next screen in the game.

Yea, Mind Master not only has an ending, but the ending is its own load on the cassette with graphics, music, and everything. Dragonstomper also has a very nice ending.

Oh, yea, Survival Island has a nice ending too, animated, music and everything. The manual for Sword of Saros says that the game has a goal (end,) but I've never beat it (hard game!)

Quest for Quintana Roo also is said to have an ending in its manual, but I can't figure out that game AT ALL.

But video game endings were pretty much unheard of back then.

And thank god for that. I never understood the appeal of a video game that ends. Once you solve it, why ever play it again?

I had borrowed Riddle of the Sphinx from a friend back then. Once I solved it, I was happy to give it back.

Give me an endless game anyday.

Hahaha...that reminds me of a conversation with my ex's Grandson...

Him: So what do you do?

Me: You just move around this maze and eat everything.

Him: How do you lose?

Me: When those monsters get you.

Him: All the dots are gone...you won!

Me: No, the game just goes to the next board.

Him: How do you win then?

Me: There's no end, you just keep eating these dots.

Him: But that's dumb!

I soon had him converted, though.

Him: All the dots are gone...you won!

Me: No, the game just goes to the next board.

Him: How do you win then?

Me: There's no end, you just keep eating these dots.

Him: But that's dumb!

I love score-based games! No matter how many times you play, you can always challenge yourself to reach new heights. I used to keep a Hi-Score logbook, and I'd play over and over to beat myself. I love a challenge.

Compare that with a game like Zelda or Final Fantasy 10. Fun games, with cool stories. But after you see the story, and beat the final boss, then what? Either let it collect dust or sell it.

But Pac-Man... 20 years later and I still LOVE that game!

Raiders of the Lost Ark... it's been a long time since I played, but I recall I used to hold one joystick in my hand to move Indy around, and the other joystick laid on the floor. I'd just reach to the right and do a one-handed maneuver to select items.

And then I beat it, and it collected dust. ;)

Well, that settels it. Nukey, sorry that you parted ways. I know that for some people (me included) it can be quite hard to overcome.

I was figuring the oldest Atari fan could be mabe 15 for the most, in 1977 which would make him 40 by now. There couldn't be anyone older, could be?

dor-x

• 20 years later...