IGNORED

dragons lair for MAME

CARTRIDGE STEALER

lol. Dragon's lair video files compressed are like about 1.2 gigs. If you have one of the original Dragon's lair DVD releases you could probably get things going with the tools provided on the Daphne website. If running those tools is too much trouble I believe that if you have the DVD release you can download a torrent that can be unlocked with a serial number or something silly like that.

But good luck finding it anywhere else. The other laser disc titles are fairly easy to get but Dragon's Lair is still actively supported. Considering though I gotta give the guys credit at least they support the community in regards to using something like Daphne.

• 3 weeks later...
dam! you guys totally lost me! I guess its hopeless for me.

I could be wrong but it sounds like you may be confused about the way a Dragon's Lair cabinet works. Dragon's Lair used a laserdisc player, and the animations in the game were stored on a laserdisc. The ROMs you downloaded control the laserdisc player and they don't house the actual game. So, for example, if you hit left on the joystick, the ROMS would tell the laserdisc player what animation to play off the laserdisc. So... if you don't have the laserdiscs containing the game animations the ROMs you downloaded are worthless.

Edited by retrogeek
  • Like 1

The Daphne developer's have actually made it quite easy to get going (it's just a bit time consuming as the files download via torrent). Just go to the Daphne website and click on the download link. If you want to play Dragon's Lair, Dragon's Lair 2, Space Ace or Thayer's Quest you will also need to purchase the DVDs as described here.

Edited by Ikrananka

Dragon's Lair for the 3DO was supposed to be the full arcade version:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/3do/dragons-...eCoverId,79619/

Seems there were DOS, Jaguar, Sega CD, and Windows versions too:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/3do/dragons-lair

Dargon's Lair also came out for the Gameboy Color, Amiga, and Atari ST....

Oh, or are you referring to CD only versions?

Were those full arcade versions? If not, they don't really count if you're trying to get as close as you can to the arcade version.

The Daphne developer's have actually made it quite easy to get going (it's just a bit time consuming as the files download via torrent). Just go to the Daphne website and click on the download link. If you want to play Dragon's Lair, Dragon's Lair 2, Space Ace or Thayer's Quest you will also need to purchase the DVDs as described here.

What DVD's are you talking about? Did they replace Laserdiscs in the arcade cabs? I've seen Dragon's Lair on a DVD that was fully playable on a DVD player. If those are the discs you're talking about, why bother with an emulator?

Dargon's Lair also came out for the Gameboy Color, Amiga, and Atari ST....

Oh, or are you referring to CD only versions?

Were those full arcade versions? If not, they don't really count if you're trying to get as close as you can to the arcade version.

The Amiga and ST versions were incomplete with only a handful of scenes from the coin-op. I own the GB version of the game and it’s quite good but not complete like the other versions mentioned.

THE EASY ANSWER:

I wanted my PC to play all MAME games AND Dragon's Lair in my MAME cab.

So I just keep this little guy in my DVD player and boot it up instead of MAME.

Works perfectly.

No muss or fuss with Daphne or anything else.

Identical to the arcade.

It included Dragon's Lair, Dragon's Lair 2 and Space Ace.

Edited by therealred5

• 9 years later...

I LOVE this game and was able to play the whole thing through. I bought several versions for my PC, that were never supported through Windows upgrades and turned out just a waste of money. I finally found the perfect solution, IMHO. There is a Dragons Lair (and other) DVD's for your standard DVD player. It's plays just like the arcade and uses the DVD remote navigation for controls. Even the DVD menu plays the attract mode from the arcade. Haven't checked to see if they have a comparable one for blue ray.

I own a few Dragons Lair versions including the ORIGINAL Laser Disc and Service Manual purchased from an industrial liquidator supplier. I can watch the game non interactive play thru on my laser disc player. Also own the DVD and full control Gamecube versions. The Wii Trilogy version the best for emulation of the original arcade cabinets with NO PAUSES between animation! A Wii console can easily be added to the Mame cabinet; a classic control adapter wired into to the arcade control.

My Modest Dragons Lair Collection Review: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=488284#p488284

post-27490-0-12661100-1497056245.jpg

post-27490-0-86684000-1497056329.jpg

Edited by CRTGAMER
  • Like 2

I LOVE this game and was able to play the whole thing through. I bought several versions for my PC, that were never supported through Windows upgrades and turned out just a waste of money. ...

If its DOS versions they could work in Dosbox.

I own a few Dragons Lair versions including the ORIGINAL Laser Disc and Service Manual purchased from an industrial liquidator supplier. I can watch the game non interactive play thru on my laser disc player. Also own the DVD and full control Gamecube versions. The Wii Trilogy version the best for emulation of the original arcade cabinets with NO PAUSES between animation! A Wii console can easily be added to the Mame cabinet; a classic control adapter wired into to the arcade control.

My Modest Dragons Lair Collection Review: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=488284#p488284

attachicon.gifDragons Lair Laser Disc and Space Ace DVD.jpg

attachicon.gifDragons Lair 3d and Dragons Lair Trilogy.jpg

Great review page. Syd Bolton's collection does not fail to impress. That is one hardcore fan.

I have been utilizing Daphne for years without any problems. Currently, running v1.0.0 under Windows 10 x64. To maintain a proper 4:3 aspect ratio when running full-screen, configure it for the monitor's native resolution. If running in a window, it needs to be configured for a multiple of 320x240. I would typically use 960x720.

For anyone reading, and looking for some additional assistance with Daphne, here are my command lines for both a full-screen and a window mode session respectively regarding Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, and Dragon;s Lair II:

C:\Path\To\Emulator\Daphne\daphne.exe lair vldp -framefile "C:\Path\To\DL\Disc\Image\dl_framefile.txt" -fullscreen -useoverlaysb 1 -x 1920 -y 1080

C:\Path\To\Emulator\Daphne\daphne.exe lair vldp -framefile "C:\Path\To\DL\Disc\Image\\dl_framefile.txt" -useoverlaysb 1 -x 960 -y 720

C:\Path\To\Emulator\Daphne\daphne.exe ace vldp -framefile "C:\Path\To\SA\Disc\Image\spaceace_framefile.txt" -fullscreen -useoverlaysb 1 -x 1920 -y 1080

C:\Path\To\Emulator\Daphne\daphne.exe ace vldp -framefile "C:\Path\To\SA\Disc\Image\spaceace_framefile.txt" -useoverlaysb 1 -x 960 -y 720

C:\Path\To\Emulator\Daphne\daphne.exe lair2 vldp -framefile "C:\Path\To\DL2\Disc\Image\dlair2.txt" -fullscreen -x 1920 -y 1080

C:\Path\To\Emulator\Daphne\daphne.exe lair2 vldp -framefile "C:\Path\To\DL2\Disc\Image\\dlair2.txt" -x 960 -y 720

Note the flag '-useoverlaysb 1' is required for Dragon's Lair and Space Ace if desiring to see your status (Score, credits, and number of lives).

For Dragon's Lair II: Time Warp, and another game I utilize Daphne for, Cliff Hanger, it is not necessary.

Here are a few captures for those interested:

post-18-0-18128000-1497209190.pngpost-18-0-66240000-1497209190.pngpost-18-0-16087000-1497209191.png

post-18-0-67418600-1497209191.pngpost-18-0-26639700-1497209192.pngpost-18-0-61745500-1497209192.png

post-18-0-76093700-1497209220.pngpost-18-0-14831100-1497209221.pngpost-18-0-90028000-1497209221.png

post-18-0-41868400-1497209222.pngpost-18-0-88835500-1497209222.pngpost-18-0-44182400-1497209223.png

post-18-0-92572400-1497209202.pngpost-18-0-60411400-1497209208.pngpost-18-0-98134700-1497209208.png

post-18-0-50307400-1497209209.pngpost-18-0-99415200-1497209209.pngpost-18-0-69745200-1497209210.png

Dragon's Lair for the 3DO was supposed to be the full arcade version:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/3do/dragons-...eCoverId,79619/

Seems there were DOS, Jaguar, Sega CD, and Windows versions too:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/3do/dragons-lair

There were many home ports.

First there were some that tried to make a traditional videogame based on Dragon's lair, because playing DL properly at home wasn't possible in the early 80s. Coleco and I think the NES had this type of port.

Then there were the floppy disk ports for Amiga and Atari ST, which resemebled the arcade. Good efforts, but graphics are less detailed, and many scenes were removed.

Finally CD-rom and especially DVD-rom allowed the full game to be played at home properly. I like the version I have on the Wii as it includes DL, Space Ace and DL Time Warp.