IGNORED

Jaguar should have had a mascot

Ite

Ok I know a lot of you will get a kick out of this, here we go, if Atari Karts had been like this I probably would have a copy of the game by now. Allow me present (on the topic of Mascots)...

ATARI MASCOT KARTS:

post-4709-1212642400_thumb.jpg

Oh man, that's awesome. I would actually buy that, seriously... that would be pretty cool!

Ok I know a lot of you will get a kick out of this, here we go, if Atari Karts had been like this I probably would have a copy of the game by now. Allow me present (on the topic of Mascots)...

ATARI MASCOT KARTS:

post-4709-1212642400_thumb.jpg

Oh man, that's awesome. I would actually buy that, seriously... that would be pretty cool!

I will say one thing... I was looking at some merchandise from the 80's... I have to admit, PAC-MAN is the icon of the Atari era. Period. That was the Mario of the day. And when people think of Atari, they think Pac-Man.

Doesn't stop me from promoting Bubsy though. :P

Ok, Pac-Man is the icon/mascot for Atari. Bubsy will battle it out for the Jaguar though. :D

The Jaguar could've used a lot more good games and a lot less gimmicky marketing. A mascot one way or the other would've had no effect on the system.

Not to mention follow the leader. Mascots are for the other brands. Atari when they were still Atari did not need to rely on the

same 'Mario' or 'Sonic' character. They had tons of very different innovations in gaming. Most of what you see on other systems

was ripped off from Atari in one form or another, from the hardware to the software. This is not to say that Nintendo and Sega

did not have their own ideas but I have to give Sega a much bigger nod over Nintendo, especially in the Arcade department.

Atari will always rule and certainly Midway and Stern and Williams are all in my opinion much more insteresting then most of

what the Japanese had to offer(except obviously for the titles the American companies bought or licsensed from the Japanese

games.) I have to wonder why they were licesencing American companies great games like Space Invaders and releasing not

as stellar games here themselves. Not always the case mind you but usually back then.

Ok, Pac-Man is the icon/mascot for Atari.

How? Atari had nothing to do with this game except to license it for the home.

Brilliant? Of course? Use it as an Atari icon or mascot? I don't see it. I say no

mascot. They should have when in hock pumping out great games as they once

did. Could you imagine how the Jag haters would have picked on the poor Atari

mascot? Yikes!

Brilliant? Of course? Use it as an Atari icon or mascot? I don't see it. I say no

mascot? Yikes!

Maybe not an official Mascot (and really just mentioning this for the topic we have here) however every time the Atari is mentioned what games come to mind to the non-Atari player? Pac-Man.

Don't get me wrong, I hate Pac-Man, unless PacMania, however, this is what people remember. I think many don't even realize that Atari didn't even own Pac-Man.

Pac-Man, yesterday's Kurby. :D

• Like 1

Especialy since at that time Namco had not released any modern versions of Pac-Man other than re-releases of (Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, and Pac-Land)on the NES, Genesis, and Turbo. The Atari 2600/5200/7800/Lynx had most of the Pac series games on their respected systems. Also the system that everyone owned the 2600 seemed to include Pac-Man. He was cartoony, stared in his own cartoon at one time, was King of the Arcade. He seemed to have everything Mario had and was just itching for a Mario 64 type game. If done right this would of brought alot of gamers/older gamers eyes toward the system. Also all the Mags would of game the returning King of the Arcade a ton of Press.

Pac Attack, Pac-In-TIME, Pac-Mania all recieved a descent amount of press.

Plus as stated earlier averyone does associate Pac-Man w/ Atari because of course Atari marketed themselves this way a decade earlier...

The object of a mascot is more association than anything, Simpsons means Fox even though it airs on a million diffrent channles, same w/South Park and Comedy Central.

mascot? Yikes!

Maybe not an official Mascot (and really just mentioning this for the topic we have here) however every time the Atari is mentioned what games come to mind to the non-Atari player? Pac-Man.

Don't get me wrong, I hate Pac-Man, unless PacMania, however, this is what people remember. I think many don't even realize that Atari didn't even own Pac-Man.

Pac-Man, yesterday's Kurby. :D

I would certainly use it in advertisements if I were Atari and still had the license but as a mascot?

No way. No mascot period. Atari was too cool to need a mascot.

"Mascot? We don't need no stinkin' mascot!"

Especialy since at that time Namco had not released any modern versions of Pac-Man other than re-releases of (Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, and Pac-Land)on the NES, Genesis, and Turbo. The Atari 2600/5200/7800/Lynx had most of the Pac series games on their respected systems. Also the system that everyone owned the 2600 seemed to include Pac-Man. He was cartoony, stared in his own cartoon at one time, was King of the Arcade. He seemed to have everything Mario had and was just itching for a Mario 64 type game. If done right this would of brought alot of gamers/older gamers eyes toward the system. Also all the Mags would of game the returning King of the Arcade a ton of Press.

Pac Attack, Pac-In-TIME, Pac-Mania all recieved a descent amount of press.

Plus as stated earlier averyone does associate Pac-Man w/ Atari because of course Atari marketed themselves this way a decade earlier...

The object of a mascot is more association than anything, Simpsons means Fox even though it airs on a million diffrent channles, same w/South Park and Comedy Central.

I do understand why some say pac man......however........

If there needed to be a mascot, it needs to be an Atari original. Would the NY Yankees, use the St. Louis Cardinals Mascot?

Hardly.

AgentX, Major Havoc, Bentley Bear would be a TRUE Atari mascot.

I would only except the Tempest Crawler(or claw as some call it) as the mascot.

Something besides an actual real creature. That would be my choice, gun to head.

Im quite sure Midway(or actually Namco) having major issues with this anyway.

I've started a Bubsy Bobcat blog here on Atariage that will feature all the pictures I can find of the Bobcat..

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...blogid=234&

Thought I would post that link rather than filling up this message with the pictures. :D

Now any new mascot shots I come up with will be featured here, but that is just my work.

• 2 months later...
  • 12 years later...

Not that it would have saved the jag or anything, but it could have been cool. Sega basically dunked on Nintendo by having a cooler edgier mascot, and Atari could have done the same. Imagine if they made a game in the style of the Battletoads arcade but starring a character like this:

strong-panther-1_1975-361.jpg?size=626&e

They also could have gone with a sex appeal mascot:

41DlCcMVPKL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Remember that Sailor Moon was bursting into the mainstream at the time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...