IGNORED

What's wrong with me?

You know, my brother was over this weekend for my daughter's birthday party. It really bugs the crap out of me how he so's disparaging about my beloved 2600, CV, and O2. He has the Piss3 so of course nothing else matters in the universe. I bring up an old game and all he does is roll his eyes. We were watching the Empire Strikes Back...so of course, I had to bring up the classic 2600 game and got the rolled eyes. I mentioned my O2 and he had to comment how his PissTHREE was so much more advanced. I'm so fond of the old games, I take it personally. I'm glad Nintendo has the market share now and Sony is lagging. Just so I can throw that in his face.

Anyway...there's something wrong with me. Live and let live..blah.blah..blah..

(just had to vent)

Silly question: approximately how old is your brother?

And of course, I could see myself rolling my eyes back at him saying that yeah, the PS3 is more advanced than an 8-bit system... I mean 20+ years of an industry tends to have the technology involved advance. It's like comparing a 60's muscle car to a Dodge Viper. Similar, but really different.

I get this a bit with some of my wife's nephews. They embody in my mind the least common denominator. They buy Madden every year and the movie titles and a bunch of other stuff that is hit and miss in terms of quality, but it's the current hyped thing du-jour. That's my general complaint -- is that they won't even give different stuff a chance even on that current-gen console. They scoffed at Katamari, Gungrave, and Guilty Gear... :| I'm almost afraid to expose them to Mr. Driller as the ghei jokes will promptly start getting thrown at the pink-suited hero.

If I could have my way I'd wish for the EA sports <insert year here> titles to be skipped for a year or two. Let them realize that they are playing the same damn thing over and over again... It's why I refuse to pay much for Dynasty Warriors 5 or 6. It's fun, but at the same time you know in your heart it's the same damn thing as the last time. It took me playing DW 2-4 to realize it. You get the idea though.

So yeah, it's not just you...

Hex.

[ Last seen playing Lego Star Wars (the first trilogy, not 2 or the complete series version) ]

I'm the same way. I love video games, but don't dare get into a disucssion with me about them, since I just know I'm always right, and often other people think they might be right too. we'll never meet in the middle. There's usually drink involved, and there are some people I just don't speak to anymore...

Whatever you do, don't deal with it my way, which involves staying clear of him for a good long while--I'm beyond help. (I'd probably ignore him for years) So what that the ps3 uses more power than the 2600 ever dreamed of to render the reflection in a single drop of rain--the real point is that somebody came into your house and pressed your 'hate you' button. Gaming's probably not really a huge deal for him. I'll bet he thinks PS3 is "pretty neat," but the PS4 will be too. He's not tied to his system. But somebody who still plays a very old game system and has been playing the same games for 20+ years is almost *certain* to have some passion for their hardware that is well above the level of the average gamer. The same can be said about many other topics, and when there are signals that somebody might care "just a little too much" (I'm guilty too) maybe some care should be displayed.

I'm proud of myself, I had a couple gaming discussions at a nerdy picnic yesterday that didn't come to blows. The shock treatments must be helping. And as for the ps3...it may not have anything that screams with the 'precision' I experience in many of gaming's simpler titles...but to jump on the other side for a second, motorstorm does look like it has it's moments, eh?

Edited by Reaperman

But somebody who still plays a very old game system and has been playing the same games for 20+ years is almost *certain* to have some passion for their hardware that is well above the level of the average gamer.

Good point.

He jumps on the latest thing when it comes out. Shuns his old systems.

That's sad that he shuns the oldies. He SHOULD know better.....those were his roots.

My brother and I are on the same level. We could be playing Call of Duty 4 on the PS3 and still bring up how cool Berzerk is for the 2600. And we practically shit ourselves when they released Tron on X-Box Live. Best arcade game ever.

Challange him to a heads up game of something adictive and tell him that you know he'll never beat you because all modern games do is make you into a little girlie man. Trust me, if he accepts the challange, he'll understand soon enough.

In the event this fails, break his PS3 with a hammar. Friends don't let friends play modern consoles. Particualrly expensive ones.

Oh...yea...I like to see him getting his ass kicked by some of the oldies. That's the thing...he doesn't have the patience; if he get's to a point in a modern game that asks to much problem solving, he'll get the cheat code. He likes drinking beer and walking through a story being able to blast anything he wishes....rather than enjoy some good hand-eye challenges.

That's sad that he shuns the oldies. He SHOULD know better.....those were his roots.

It's how 95% of people think though, I couldn't pay my friends to play Atari with me, they just say it's outdated crap. Even though we ALL used to love it when it came out. On a good day I might get some interest but that only lasts a few minutes until someone says "look at how shitty the graphics are" or similar comments, followed by laughs and I don't even bother trying to explain it anymore, just too outnumbered. The best was when I told my friend about a guy that makes handheld Atari systems and his response was "Dude, they have a handheld Playstation now, it's called the PSP" I know about the PSP, that wasn't the point....

We are a rare breed that refuses to give up on are beloved gaming past. You can try to convince others all you want, you may find a few but most will not give a crap.

Brother sounds like a nightmare. However, if trying to get him interested in older games, it probably isn't a great idea to go firing up Empire Strikes Back. Possibly (especially in visual terms) the least impressive game ever.

Brother sounds like a nightmare. However, if trying to get him interested in older games, it probably isn't a great idea to go firing up Empire Strikes Back. Possibly (especially in visual terms) the least impressive game ever.

He's a lost cause. Can't teach an old dog new tricks.

I won't fire up anything around him...I'm casting my pearls before swine. (cliche no 2)

I could show him Solaris...and it would go right over his head.

My brother and sister are the only people that I know that are into classic video games. The problem is, I am a way bigger fan then they are. When I start talking about certain systems that were less popular, they look at me like they don't know what I am talking about. My brother is only 15 and my sister is 27, lives at home, and doesn't work. Neither of them have the funding to buy games, so I don't realy have anybody to share the experience of video game collecting with except for you guys.

At work everybody in my age bracket doesn't like to to talk about anything but PS3 and XBox 360. Sometimes the older guys will get into a short discution about how they used to love playing some game and that is about it. 98% of the people here are into hunting, fishing, and riding 4 wheelers. I'm stuck way out in the middle of nowhere on an island in Alaska so I can't go to any game conventions, game stores, flea markets, pawn shops, or anywhere else that has classic or modern video games. I have 2 more years here in Alaska until I can get back to civilization, where I will probably go hog wild and buy anything remotely video game related that I see.

I was in a used game store today, & another young(er) guy & his g/f were also in there. I overheard him ask the clerk "Is there any reason why someone shouldnt have a PS3 in both the bedroom AND the living room?"

I chimed in "there's no reason to have a PS3 in ANY room!" Didnt get a reaction.

BTW- Im 36 & addicted to classics.

But somebody who still plays a very old game system and has been playing the same games for 20+ years is almost *certain* to have some passion for their hardware that is well above the level of the average gamer.

Good point.

He jumps on the latest thing when it comes out. Shuns his old systems.

A good example!I refer to these types of folks as Technology Slaves.These folks have to have the newest version of any gadgets and systems.This dude i know throws ALL his money with all the latest in Audio,Video,Game Systems,you name it,cant stand to have a late model in ANYTHING.He doesnt have the highest paying job/occupation either.I told him he wont have any money left over for emergencies or retirement,thank god he's un-married and no kids.Each to their own,but i think thats crazy.

And isn't the PS2 still doing better than Nintendo anyway?

I'm sure overall the PS2 has some crazy sales numbers, it has been out for quite a long time though. I guess it would depend on if you are just comparing it to the Wii. Nintendo does pretty good with the handheld market and always has, if you mean just the Wii though then yes.

And isn't the PS2 still doing better than Nintendo anyway?

I'm sure overall the PS2 has some crazy sales numbers, it has been out for quite a long time though. I guess it would depend on if you are just comparing it to the Wii. Nintendo does pretty good with the handheld market and always has, if you mean just the Wii though then yes.

ps2's sales are still significant, and there are some good games that are wii/ps2 only these days (Okami comes to mind). Actually, while ps2's been getting fewer releases lately, they tend to be the oddball, end of console life releases that tend to get rare and just be different from the usual cookie-cutter games. (and of course a lot of 'over the hill' releases tend to be very bad, but there are a few diamonds in there)

I ignored by PS2 totally until about xmas time, when I decided that since I wasn't wealthy enough for (or didn't care enough about) a new console, I should throw about $100 into my dusty ps2 and make it something I'd actually want to play. Some of those ps2 exclusives are really something, but I still don't care for their joystick layout. (link to my ps2) I'm not really a retrogamer, I just can't afford to keep up with the jones so I'm gaming outside the box for a while--at least until the big 3 come out with a 'killer app' that makes me want to afford one of their systems. I don't need pretty games, I just need 'new to me' titles which has also driven me back to 8-bit computing.

Am I the only one who doesn't see a reason for this gaming gen to even exist? Oh there are graphical updates of last gen titles, but gameplay-wise, they're essentially all the same games. Woohoo? And speaking of nintendo, they've become another one of my conversation 'buttons'--I've become extremely unhappy with them lately, which is sad especially since I liked their last handheld as much as I did.

Edited by Reaperman