IGNORED

Classic Gaming Expo recap!

Adriana

Well, I must say I was impressed. I was using this event more as an excuse to take my wife to Vegas, but in the end I think she enjoyed the event almost as much as me. Most of the talks were really informative. I didn't waste time fighting over some of the games for sale, because when do you get a chance to meet legends? I didn't even have time to meet many collectors, because I just wanted to take it all in.

At the Dig Dug drop, I witness the best and the worst of collectors. It was poorly planned from the beginning, as only a few people actually got their hands on the games, and they got to open dozens, while the rest could only watch (either it should have been limited to one box each, or they needed a bigger net). But I did see some guy in the center tossing games out to the masses in the back - kudos, dude!. But I also saw a girl on the sidelines opening a stack of about 10 games (as we were told not to do), then after finding a pink slip in the 2nd or 3rd, proceeded to open the rest (also against the rules).

But all in all, more than I anticipated and a blast!

:(  

You guys are so lucky. I think this is the second Classic Gamers Expo to pass by since I started collecting. Unfortunitly, my parents are so poor right now we can't go anywere or do anything. My dad can't wrok and my mom makes about $170.00 a week plus were getting suied by some jackass that didn't do a job and so he's charging us for it anyway. I think it $10.000 he's sueing us for. I'm afraid were gonna loose our house. I wish the classic gamers expo would come here so I could get a chance to see what it's like. But, I doubt i'll ever get to go.

I hear you Atari Master. It sure would be great to have a video game classic here in South Florida. We have the Dade Country Youth Fair playgrounds that they could hold it at.

I am going to start saving up for next year. I am definitely going to go the next time it is held.

Okay, I posted a few photos from CGE 2002. It's not much, just a half-dozen random photos I happened to snap, but you might like to check it out. It ain't much to look at, as I threw the page together, with captions, in about five minutes. But anyway, have a looksee...

http://www.blue-period.com/atari/cge2k2.html

Nice pictures. :)

I hope that you are to put up a few more of them.

I just got back from Vegas about an hour ago and will be working feverishly on a CGE2K2 report tomorrow. The geeks here will appreciate this: I used a digital voice recorder to vocalize for about 30 minutes my "report". I can then download that audio to my computer and use IBM's ViaVoice voice recognition software to convert that speech. I'll get to see how well that works tomorrow. :)

I also started going through the photos and annotating them. Yes, I was doing this on the drive back also. Had my laptop setup next to me, running ACDSee. I could hit the space bar to go to the next picture, look at it briefly and then talk about the picture into the small lapel mike I had attached to my shirt. And before you get too nervous about this, it was done on long stretches of highway in the middle of nowhere with no other traffic in sight (which was most of the trip through Arizona, New Mexico and Texas).

It will probably take me a day or two to get everything together. Between Joe Grand and myself, we have a good 500 pictures. :D

..Al

Matt Hubbard - [...] He seemed to be peeved that someone had exploited a bug in Dolphin that allows you to jump over the barriers and score major points.  BTW, he's still not dead! (long story)

Uh, heh... That might be me & my brother Dave... Did he say how/when/where he found out about that one? I wrote about that trick a long time ago for 2600 Connection.

I could see where he might be mad, but from my perspective, it's almost like an easter egg!

I also started going through the photos and annotating them.  Yes, I was doing this on the drive back also.  Had my laptop setup next to me, running ACDSee.  I could hit the space bar to go to the next picture, look at it briefly and then talk about the picture into the small lapel mike I had attached to my shirt.  And before you get too nervous about this, it was done on long stretches of highway in the middle of nowhere with no other traffic in sight (which was most of the trip through Arizona, New Mexico and Texas).  

I nearly pissed my pants reading this! Picturing Albert driving alone in his car talking to his laptop is just too much. Then some college girls drive up next to him with a lapel mic on his shirt and a picture of Larry Anderson in the Pac-Man costume on the laptop screen. Albert says:

"Hey baby....wanna play some Pac Man? I have MAME with all the ROMs installed on this puppy - EVEN the sped-up version!"

:D

I also started going through the photos and annotating them.  Yes, I was doing this on the drive back also.  Had my laptop setup next to me, running ACDSee.  I could hit the space bar to go to the next picture, look at it briefly and then talk about the picture into the small lapel mike I had attached to my shirt.  And before you get too nervous about this, it was done on long stretches of highway in the middle of nowhere with no other traffic in sight (which was most of the trip through Arizona, New Mexico and Texas).  

I nearly pissed my pants reading this! Picturing Albert driving alone in his car talking to his laptop is just too much. Then some college girls drive up next to him with a lapel mic on his shirt and a picture of Larry Anderson in the Pac-Man costume on the laptop screen. Albert says:

"Hey baby....wanna play some Pac Man? I have MAME with all the ROMs installed on this puppy - EVEN the sped-up version!"

:D

Thats's pretty funny!

I nearly pissed my pants reading this!  Picturing Albert driving alone in his car talking to his laptop is just too much.  Then some college girls drive up next to him with a lapel mic on his shirt and a picture of Larry Anderson in the Pac-Man costume on the laptop screen.  Albert says:

"Hey baby....wanna play some Pac Man?  I have MAME with all the ROMs installed on this puppy - EVEN the sped-up version!"

Haha! Fortunately for me, the seating position in the cargo van was pretty high and only those in big rigs would really be able to see down into the van. And I had the laptop sitting on two VCR boxes in between the two seats, so it was sitting pretty low relative to me. And then, I was only using it for a few hours during the daytime, not at night when it would have been more obvious due to the glow of the monitor.

Oh yeah, I didn't see very many college girls driving on that stretch of boring highway. It was mostly trucks. And they were pretty sparse at that. I didn't know that was Larry in the Pac-Man costume. That's very useful to know. :D

..Al

I mentioned it when interviewing him last year. He was familiar with it, but he didn't seem that upset about it...

He wasn't really upset, more like upset with himself for letting it slip in. I think he wanted Dolphin to be an ultra challenging game and this little bug made it mega easy. This all came up when he asked me if I had ever gotten an "Amazing!" on Dolphin and I told him I wasn't that good at it.

Tempest