IGNORED

Space Invaders (You never know what's in a sealed box...)

Room 34

I recently completed my Space Invaders label variant collection quest, obtaining all 6 label variants (or so I thought):

Atari text

Atari picture

Atari silver

Atari red

Sears text

Sears picture

The Atari red label version was one I received as a MIB sealed package. Oh, the delight! But I knew someday my curiosity would get the best of me and I would open the package, hoping against hope that the penny-pinching late-'80s Atari gods would've graced this box with a game catalog or some other interesting prize. But I never expected what I got.

Although the BOX is the red-label-era style, the cartridge inside is NOT. It is a silver label style. Actually, it's a gray label, because it's a cheap 1988 reprint of the silver label design. The end label also has the peculiar font that is almost the picture-label-era font, but not quite.

The instruction manual that was packed in with this game is the black-and-white late-'80s reprint of the picture-label-era instructions.

Quite an odd assortment I am looking at here.

This seems to be the product of the same factory that cranked out the weird 1988 copies of Canyon Bomber and Home Run that I recently acquired MIB sealed, where the boxes themselves were printed in black-and-white (although the game labels are color, but cheaply made).

Hey R34,

Do you think there was a possibility of fraudulent activity, etc., here?  It's not clear in your post.  Just curious.   :sad:  

Garbs

No, no. I don't think it was fraudulent. The shrink wrap seemed authentic and accurate to the time period (late '80s). It was very brittle from age and it had the plastic "hanger" stuck on it. The cartridge is brand new (no dirt or corrosion on the contacts... even a "cleaned" cart has a certain used look), and the box and manual are all mint.

It's just a case of the low quality control Atari had in the late '80s. And I am just mad because I already have a silver label S.I. and I wanted the red label!!! :x But I don't think the person who sold it to me was a scam artist or anything... :)

Cool. I'm always worried about stuff like that. Well, it's happened to me in the past, not with anything Atari-related, but with other stuff.

I really hate scam artists. They should all rot in hell with red hot pokers shoved up their keesters. :twisted:

Anyway, thanks R34.

PS: - I checked out your site and I think it's pretty neat. Any pointers or tips on how to get started on something like that? Do you do any designing on the side for something like that? Just curious.

Yes but WE would like to see "pictures my friend pictures" of what you found in the box!

....at least I think that is what Skatepunk meant... ;)

Room 34 shakes his head for a minute... his minute brain rattles around inside his cranium and finally snaps back into place...

Ah! I get it!

If I have time tonight I will scan the whole lot for you all to see...

PS: - I checked out your site and I think it's pretty neat.  Any pointers or tips on how to get started on something like that?  Do you do any designing on the side for something like that?  Just curious.

Just plug away at it. I don't have any formal training, but I've been doing web sites as a hobby since 1994 and professionally since 1996, so I've developed a modicum of design ability merely through repetition and experimentation.

I do happen to do freelance design on the side, but unfortunately I am extremely busy these days with my day job, a freelance project, my band, and a little documentary filmmaking hobby I've stumbled into...

OK, I have pictures of my red box (but not red label! :x ) Space Invaders for you all. These are fairly small and heavily-compressed so they don't slow down the page loads so much , but if you want to see super-up-close, e-mail me and I will send you high-res versions.

Oh, what a dilemma! :D (much like Schroedinger's cat!)

If you collect factory sealed boxes, you'll never know, if it contains the right cart and, to make it worse, you'll never be able to collect for those who contain the wrong carts, making a complete collection impossible. ;)

Enough joking, maybe some X-rays can help? :ponder:

Interesting, now I'm curious about the shrinkwrapped red box Space Invaders I bought from O'Sheas several years ago. I'll have to dig one of them out and open it up. I bet I'll be surprised with the same "silver/gray" label cart. I was going to say that those are less common than the red label variant, but perhaps not if many of the O'Sheas titles appear in this style. I'm sure you can find someone to trade you a red label for that gray label cart. :)

..Al

• 1 month later...