IGNORED

*Atari* 8-bit sightings (movies, videos, and more)

Larry

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody remember that show "Whiz Kids" from back in 1983? In one episode the main kid Richie's super-computer is trashed and the only way they could get it going again was to go to school and use an Atari 1200XL in a computer lab full of em' to rebuild the kernel.

While not 8-Bit, I remember there's a scene in the Dolph Lundgren movie Army of One with an Atari ST in an office at the bad guys car chop-shop

• Like 1

The 'terminator' Movies.... The 'Eye' view is apparently a 6502 listing of Atari dos (VTOC section)

nope.

5.9 What machine code is displayed on the Terminator's visual display? (The Terminator)

6502 assembler, specifically Apple 2+ assembly, taken from "Nibble" (QV), a

computing magazine. Other code visible is written in COBOL.

http://stason.org/TULARC/movies/terminator...or-s-visua.html

Anybody remember that show "Whiz Kids" from back in 1983? In one episode the main kid Richie's super-computer is trashed and the only way they could get it going again was to go to school and use an Atari 1200XL in a computer lab full of em' to rebuild the kernel.

Do you remember which episode? I have mpeg's of all the episodes, and don't recall seeing that.

And yes, loved that series when it was originally on!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 8 years later...

OK, since people had added some sightings, I just changed the title -- this is now the one.

Here's my first sighting, and it's what made me think about this topic. "Videodrome" with James Woods and Debroah (Debra?) Harry. A scene with an 800 computer in a video processing room.

-Larry

I just watched this film the other day! After spotting two Atari joysticks on top og the TV I spent ages looking at the screen to work out what game cartridge (2600?) it was [this is at around 42mins] ... then realised at 15mins you can clearly see it's Air Sea Battle! At around 68mins there are a couple of Atari 800s on a shelf in the background. Naked Deborah Harry around 17mins, apart from that highlight the film is ok to start with and could have been really good but it all goes a bit whacky and I'm still recovering :-o

On the credits Atari are thanked so I wonder how come they came to be involved in this type of film?

I also found this http://www.criticalcommons.org/Members/ccManager/clips/a-tv-set-hooked-up-to-an-atari-game-console-and/view which also mentions Poltergeist.

:)

• Like 1

I just watched this film the other day! After spotting two Atari joysticks on top og the TV I spent ages looking at the screen to work out what game cartridge (2600?) it was [this is at around 42mins] ... then realised at 15mins you can clearly see it's Air Sea Battle! At around 68mins there are a couple of Atari 800s on a shelf in the background. Naked Deborah Harry around 17mins, apart from that highlight the film is ok to start with and could have been really good but it all goes a bit whacky and I'm still recovering :-o

On the credits Atari are thanked so I wonder how come they came to be involved in this type of film?

I also found this http://www.criticalcommons.org/Members/ccManager/clips/a-tv-set-hooked-up-to-an-atari-game-console-and/view which also mentions Poltergeist.

:)

I don't recall any Atari stuff in Poltergeist.

I remember in the 70's Battleship Galactica there is a scene with computer monitors in the background definitely showing some multicolor Graphics 10 patterns changing in shape and color. I could recognize the typical colors and resolution as Atari GTIA mode at once. Maybe some simple Basic doodle and color cycling code.

In that scene they were talking with some hyperintelligent professor kid giving hints about some problem.. anybody know what movie or episode that was?

I remember in the 70's Battleship Galactica there is a scene with computer monitors in the background definitely showing some multicolor Graphics 10 patterns changing in shape and color. I could recognize the typical colors and resolution as Atari GTIA mode at once. Maybe some simple Basic doodle and color cycling code.

In that scene they were talking with some hyperintelligent professor kid giving hints about some problem.. anybody know what movie or episode that was?

This would be interesting if someone can find it. According to IMDB the original show was on in 1978 and 1979. The Atari 8-bits came out in late 79, so it would have been difficult for them to have the computers during production. If they did, it probably would have to be a prototype... which would be awesome to have Atari 8-bit graphics on film in 1979.

I read that after a write-in campaign there was another set of episodes made in 1980. It is more likely that Atari graphics could appear in these shows.

There is a list of shows on wikipedia. Several plots mention children from the Galactica.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Battlestar_Galactica_%281978_TV_series%29_and_Galactica_1980_episodes

As much as I like the show I'm not going to sit through hours of it to find the graphics. A job for someone else who loves the series more.

That would probably be Galactica 1980. That was a horrible continuation after the original Battlestar Galactica was canceled.

There are a bunch of scenes with that professor kid with all the monitors in the background. Most of them are blurry or only in view for a couple seconds. Probably the clearest view would be in episode 7 about 4 minutes in. It was colorful but I'm not really sure if that was from an Atari 8-bit. Trying to get a screenshot just makes it a blurry mess.

It's on netflix if anybody else wants to take a closer look. I wouldn't recommend watching an episode/full series unless you can get past the cringe.

• 3 weeks later...

okay well I can't name the damn movie either but..... near the end the main characters (a boy and girl) are running thru a data center possibly for a bank / government agency trying to capture them, in another scene near the end they are throwing money out the window of a Cessna-like airplane..

The Atari part is what appears to be an Atari disk drive (810 style case) in the scene where they are ducking down inside a car...

Watched the movie twice in my life and can't remember it for the life of me!

Help my tortured sole find the movie name!

Edited by _The Doctor__

• 4 months later...

The new series of Storage Wars just started.

Ep 10.1, Rene buys a unit absolutely full of about $45K worth of retro games and systems.

Notable Atari items though in most cases a brief look or only a mention are a 1200XL box, some Jaguar games and what looked to be a 7800. As well as numerous 2600 games.

storage wars another show that over inflates just about everything and oddly devalues stuff that really is worth something, a vehicle to get people out to buy from the storage association at max dollars but that's just an observation :)

Just a coincidence but remember in just about every show the locker has nothing of value except that one magical box, tote/ case found at or near the end! Formulaic and somewhat scripted.

Edited by _The Doctor__

• 10 months later...

okay well I can't name the damn movie either but..... near the end the main characters (a boy and girl) are running thru a data center possibly for a bank / government agency trying to capture them, in another scene near the end they are throwing money out the window of a Cessna-like airplane..

The Atari part is what appears to be an Atari disk drive (810 style case) in the scene where they are ducking down inside a car...

Watched the movie twice in my life and can't remember it for the life of me!

Help my tortured sole find the movie name!

That’s Cloak & Dagger I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...