IGNORED

*Atari* 8-bit sightings (movies, videos, and more)

Larry

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2008 at 4:40 AM, Retro Rogue said:

Anybody remember that show "Whiz Kids" from back in 1983?

"Whiz Kids" has been released on DVD and I'm so happy to have it!

(Knows in France as "Les petits génies" https://www.fnac.com/a9978716/Petits-genies-Integrale-DVD-Matthew-Laborteaux-DVD-Zone-2)

I have a fond memory of this series, broadcast in France on Antenne 2. Never missed an episode. "Ma madeleine de Proust"

There is an Atari 1200XL in the library/computer lab. You can see it anytime the team meets there.

• Like 2

There is "Big" (1988) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094737/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 as the "kid in an adult body" character, played by Tom HANKS, has an Atari 800XL in his office at "MacMillan toys"

I can find it and make a screenshot if you wish.

Other wise, I've recently watched "Sneakers" (1992) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105435/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0 Robert REDFORD "uses" an Atari 830 to remotely connect.

If there is an "official" database somewhere, I'll be happy to add new records.

sneakers 1.10.00 atari 830.png

• Like 2

Holy crap - had to look several times before I saw it.  Crazy how our brains pick up immediately on such things.  My 1st car was a 76 Cordoba and it only takes me about .05 seconds to spot them in any TV show or movie :)

• Like 1

On 4/29/2008 at 1:29 AM, CharlieChaplin said:

Looks like most of these pages do not exist anymore...  (to bad, www.ataritimes is gone)...

At least ataricompendium lists some movies and series.

The episode "Homer goes to college" (in german "Homer an der Uni") of The Simpsons features, well, Homer at college and the nerds trio Benjamin, Doug and Gary are not only telling Monty Python jokes, but also quoting the speech samples of Atari's Bezerk (e.g. Humanoid must not escape, etc.)...

• Like 1

Again, "Big" (1988) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094737/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 

I did focus on Tom HANKS but another character seems to be using Atari BASIC in his office ;-)

I took this screenshot from the 2:10 extended edition. I wonder if this scene appears in the classic edition, that would explain why I dit not remember it immediately.

big.png

Edited by ldelsarte
  • Like 3

It seem kind of strange that a 1988 movie purporting to show a "modern" office would be populated by 5 year old home computers.  I would have to assume that because of the very brief screentime that the Ataris had, the props department just used a couple of things that they already had lying around and didn't give it much thought beyond that.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/25/2020 at 5:11 PM, SS said:

It seem kind of strange that a 1988 movie purporting to show a "modern" office would be populated by 5 year old home computers.

People did not know that these are 5-year old home computers. People did not know that these are computers at all. What a layman can see there, is a monitor + a keyboard in front of the monitor, which serves as a generic PC.

It is us who know that 800XL is an entire computer, and that it is not "modern". For a layman watching the film it is just an originally looking keyboard for a computer which is probably hidden under the desk.

I know this because someone I know was asking such questions: when confronted with a 130XE she actualy thought that it was the keyboard only (and where is the main unit); and another fine question from her was if the 3.5-inch floppies were the same as harddisks (because of the cover made of inflexible plastic when compared to 5.25 floppies).

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/18/2019 at 10:33 AM, AtariGeezer said:

Found another 800 in the 1985 move "The Stuff".  It sitting on top of a TV showing Zaxxon playing.

Around 35:30...

Just came to report this myself and have found your report!

It is currently on Amazon Prime, at least it is in Aus!

• 5 months later...