IGNORED

Visual bB 1.0 - a new IDE for batari Basic

jwierer

Ok so Visual Batari Basic doesnt work for me. But how about I just use Visual batari basic, and just copy and paste the code from it into a notepad file. Then I compile that with the batari basic program. Would that work?

Before you abandon Visual batari Basic, be sure to double click on install_win.bat. I also updated the VbB page:

How to 'Install' Visual batari Basic on a Windows PC

Be sure to pay attention to step 3.

OK there is good news and bad news. The good news is I am not getting the index error anymore. the bad is now im getting this error. Also it says that it cant find a: default.bas.bin file. I dont recall that being in the installer in the first place but maybe im wrong

Installer? You're not using that crusty old Tinkernut thing are you?

However the first time I ever tried to use visual Batari Basic I used tinkernut. But that was like a year ago. Could that be the problem though?

If that Tinkernut thing is still installed, you might want to uninstall it, then start again:

Getting Started

If that Tinkernut thing is still installed, you might want to uninstall it, then start again:Getting Started

Random Terrain:

Your site points to Visual bB to install that version.

Although your site points to an older version with links to his blog for updates, maybe consider just linking to his last blog post: http://atariage.com/forums/blog/302/entry-9759-small-update-for-visualbb/ Or maybe the link to just his blog: http://atariage.com/forums/blog/302-jwierers-blog/

??

Edited by iesposta

Random Terrain:

Your site points to Visual bB to install that version.

Although your site points to an older version with links to his blog for updates, maybe consider just linking to his last blog post: http://atariage.com/forums/blog/302/entry-9759-small-update-for-visualbb/ Or maybe the link to just his blog: http://atariage.com/forums/blog/302-jwierers-blog/

??

I keep hoping that he'll come back and put the newest version that I have (build 568) in the main thread. It's better than what he has in his blog. The version I have is from June of 2014. The one in his blog is from 2012.

• 2 months later...

I keep hoping that he'll come back and put the newest version that I have (build 568) in the main thread. It's better than what he has in his blog. The version I have is from June of 2014. The one in his blog is from 2012.

Hi, I am too dumb maybe but I cannot find build 568...

Where to download it?

Thanks in advance

Markus

Build 568

Since jwierer is very busy and nobody knows when he'll put the the latest version in the first post of this thread, I'll go ahead and post the last version that he gave to me in 2014:

VisualbB_Build_568_2018y_08m_21d_2100t.zip

As far as I know, that is the latest version of Visual batari Basic.

Be sure to do what it says here:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#gettingstarted

And here:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-vbb.html#install_vbb

Update (2018y_08m_21d_2100t)

The zip file above includes the latest version of bblint.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm just curious to know, why aren't there any hotkeys for compiling and running? Or a way to adjust the interface, I would love to be able to put the console where the project explorer is so the errors and messages are more visible.

Probably it was good enough for developers when VisualbB was actively developed so it never got on his action list. Pretty much the next step is for people to come up with batari BASIC compatibility scripts for Notepad++. Or, make their own VisualbB.

That makes sense, some time ago I used to use jEdit on ubuntu as my IDE it took a while to get it to work perfectly, but when I did it was an amazing experience, it didn't lag at all, and had many different skins, but I'm kind of lazy to do it on windows as well jeje and also I don't remember how I did it

I'm just curious to know, why aren't there any hotkeys for compiling and running? Or a way to adjust the interface, I would love to be able to put the console where the project explorer is so the errors and messages are more visible.

Spiceware and I use jEdit which is a programmers editor in JavaScript that runs on all platforms.

He uses it for 2600 assembly and I for batari Basic.

I set up the menu icons to have save, compile, run (in Stella) all next to each other - I don't know if you can make hot-keys or not. I like its diff feature where you can see changes from code that works to the new code you have broken. The coloring of the zeroes in the player data graphically shows player shapes in the code thanks to Spideware's code colors.

You can infinitely configure and add to it.

The disadvantage at the moment is that Visual bB has the Player and Playfield Editor, the Music Editor, the Pallet color chooser.

Spiceware says these could be added to jEdit. If someone programs those extensions, jEdit will be better than Visual bB because jEdit doesn't glitch when you near filling 32K with Basic code.

Spiceware and I use jEdit which is a programmers editor in JavaScript that runs on all platforms.

He uses it for 2600 assembly and I for batari Basic.

I set up the menu icons to have save, compile, run (in Stella) all next to each other - I don't know if you can make hot-keys or not. I like its diff feature where you can see changes from code that works to the new code you have broken. The coloring of the zeroes in the player data graphically shows player shapes in the code thanks to Spideware's code colors.

You can infinitely configure and add to it.

The disadvantage at the moment is that Visual bB has the Player and Playfield Editor, the Music Editor, the Pallet color chooser.

Spiceware says these could be added to jEdit. If someone programs those extensions, jEdit will be better than Visual bB because jEdit doesn't glitch when you near filling 32K with Basic code.

Could you possibly tell me how do you have configured your environment while using jEdit on windows? I really don't remember how I did it on Ubuntu, has been a couple of years from now.

How would a person program those things? Oh, I see that you need to know how to program using Java:

jedit.org/users-guide/writing-plugins-part.html

Looks complicated and way over my head. Too bad nobody makes a plugin system based on BASIC.

• 2 weeks later...

Could you possibly tell me how do you have configured your environment while using jEdit on windows? I really don't remember how I did it on Ubuntu, has been a couple of years from now.

I run JEdit on my iMac and Visual bB in Windows 7.

Check out Spiceware's Blog for his set-up.

You should get his asm and batari Basic colors.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey all,

I've installed everything according to the instructions, but I keep getting errors. I'm using SP2; I've installed MS .NET Framework; I've redirected the compiler; and I installed Stella as the emulator.

The IDE boots and appears functional, but it says there's an error with the compiler. I've reinstalled everything more than once, btw, and the same error keeps occurring.

Any suggestions on what this issue could be? It would be appreciated!

Hey all,

I've installed everything according to the instructions, but I keep getting errors. I'm using SP2; I've installed MS .NET Framework; I've redirected the compiler; and I installed Stella as the emulator.

The IDE boots and appears functional, but it says there's an error with the compiler. I've reinstalled everything more than once, btw, and the same error keeps occurring.

Any suggestions on what this issue could be? It would be appreciated!

If you've done what it says here:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-vbb.html#install_vbb

and you are still having problems, you might want to attach a screenshot of your settings page.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...