IGNORED

Visual bB 1.0 - a new IDE for batari Basic

jwierer

For some reason my VbB is very slow, it takes > 20s to type a character. Very strange. I'm on win 7.

Coolcrab, maybe that is not your case, but I noticed Visual bB is slow like that when I load a sample file that has too many comments using semicolons. To "fix" that, I open the file using another text editor and replace all ";" to "rem". That woked for me.

I hope that helps

Paulo

Update: Didn't see the answers after posting that :) woops...

Edited by pedgarcia

Coolcrab, maybe that is not your case, but I noticed Visual bB is slow like that when I load a sample file that has too many comments using semicolons. To "fix" that, I open the file using another text editor and replace all ";" to "rem". That woked for me.

Are you using build 568? It shouldn't do that.

• 9 months later...

There are several questions here, though the first one is the most important, the others are only minor questions.

I don't know if anyone has had this happen to them, but for some reason, when I opened my project in Visual bB, My default.bas was completely gone... well not gone, but all of the text in it was gone, I have no idea what happened, I didn't do anything to it yesterday, not only that, but now I can't even open the sprite for Player 0, all of my code is gone,

also, before that ever happened, yesterday I couldn't compile the default.bas (this happened the day before, when the code was still there before it vanished)

it told me that it "could not locate sed.exe"

also, just a small little question about sprites, you know that Halo Master Chief sprite? (from Halo 2600) I notice the helmet towards the middle has yellow and green in the same horizonal line, despite the limitations of the A2600, how was that done? I don't know if its possible to do that in PlayerPal or Visual bB's sprite editor...

is there a programming trick that would allow for multiple sprites on screen without flickering? (like Saboteur, Berzerk, Phoenix, etc)

I don't use VbB at all, so I will let someone else answer about that part - although you may want to search your drove for default.bas in case your working copy is around elsewhere.

If you ever want to see how anything is drawn in an existing game, you can enable "debug colors" in Stella (control-comma on PC; command-comma on Mac). In the case of the Master Chief sprite, it looks like he is drawn using the player 0 sprite, and the ball. The background objects are copies of the player 1 sprite. This can be done in bB if you use the multisprite or DPC+ kernel.

post-48311-0-44774500-1537469587.png

post-48311-0-13542300-1537469509.png

The 2600 has only a few resources that can be drawn (besides then playfield) across the screen: 2 sprites, 2 missiles and the ball. In batari BASIC game makers experience these objects as 2 8 pixel wide sprites and three rectangular solid boxes. But, at a hardware level it's more like these are five different crayons that can be dragged across the screen. Ed Fries chose to draw the player layer by layer with one crayon then switched to another part way through the helmet area with a different crayon. So, he wasn't breaking any rules getting the player sprite to be two colors on the same line.

There are several questions here, though the first one is the most important, the others are only minor questions.

I don't know if anyone has had this happen to them, but for some reason, when I opened my project in Visual bB, My default.bas was completely gone... well not gone, but all of the text in it was gone, I have no idea what happened, I didn't do anything to it yesterday, not only that, but now I can't even open the sprite for Player 0, all of my code is gone,

also, before that ever happened, yesterday I couldn't compile the default.bas (this happened the day before, when the code was still there before it vanished)

it told me that it "could not locate sed.exe"

Are you using the latest version of bB (reveng41) and VbB (Build 568)?

Getting Started

How to 'Install' Visual batari Basic on a Windows PC

Also, I wonder if this would be helpful:

My .bin file can't be found (default.bas.bin can't be found)

If VbB is actually deleting your files, something is terribly wrong.

Did find a "default.inc" in my folder, would that have anything to do with the code vanishing?

I'd make sure you have the latest bB and VbB, then see if anything changes. Also, did you look in your project folder using a real File Explorer folder and see what was there?

• 5 months later...

Curious. I had an instance where VbB froze and when the next time my program loaded everything seemed okay nut when I went tO compile the program said it couldn't find the .bin.

I saw that the file missing from my folder. I saved the .bas as another name and tried again but the same thing happened again.

Has anyone ever had this happen?

Curious. I had an instance where VbB froze and when the next time my program loaded everything seemed okay nut when I went tO compile the program said it couldn't find the .bin.

I saw that the file missing from my folder. I saved the .bas as another name and tried again but the same thing happened again.

Has anyone ever had this happen?

If I remember correctly, the only times the VbB/bB combination froze on me when compiling was when I did something goofy like not having a then in an if-then or something like that.

I was interested in that. I figure once I am done with Bag Boy I may learn something else. I really like vbB and it has been a wonderful teaching tool so hopefully I can graduate.

Luckily it looks like all my code is good and other .bas files I loaded compiled so I might just copy it all into a new file and see if that works. It would suck to have to redo a weeks worth of work.

If I remember correctly, the only times the VbB/bB combination froze on me when compiling was when I did something goofy like not having a then in an if-then or something like that.

Yeah. I had an asterisk at the end of a sentence. I accidentally deleted the number after it and noticed too late.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello,

I just did a clean install of Visual bB v.1.0 build 568 on my Windows 10 PC.

Every time I start the VisualbB.exe program, I am getting 12 pop-ups labeled "Script Error".  Here are screen shots of the first three.

ScriptError1.PNG.fc6390fa09da952ba6de467b96e7ac3a.PNG

ScriptError2.PNG.a55fe59858ba2190114b8c4729a19640.PNG

ScriptError3.PNG.fb07b0f3e112082349d62da243dbbe8a.PNG

I have even tried "Run as Administrator" but the results are the same.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

Thanks!

Chad

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, freshbrood said:

I can't get the latest version of vbb to stay open on my new Win10 64bit laptop. It's driving me crazy. No warnings or security flags. It starts up for a few seconds then just closes.

Any tips?

Just to be sure, you're using Build 568, right? If so, I wonder if this has anything to do with it:

https://www.windowslatest.com/2021/02/06/microsoft-confirms-windows-10-update-bug-is-crashing-some-apps/

• Thanks 1

There are still tools inside the VisualbB IDE that Atari Dev Studio doesn't yet have.  So, I keep finding ways to run VisualbB.

Running through WINE is possible but a pain in the ASCII.  You might try Virtualbox.  Make a virtual Windows 7 machine and dedicate it to VisualbB and Stella.  There's a seamless mode that makes it look like VisualbB is running like any other app.

I realize it's yet another thing to learn how to use.. but, it's the only working solution now and in the future. 

https://www.virtualbox.org/