IGNORED

Visual bB 1.0 - a new IDE for batari Basic

jwierer

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Yoruk said:

Is it normal that Visual bB needs to be launched in administrator mode ? Sounds strange... ?

(But works perfectly on my Win10 computer)

I remember needing to do that on one of my computers over the years. Don't remember if I had to do it on my latest computer.

Make sure Load Start Web Page on Open is turned off on the settings page. If you enable it, you'll get a ton of error messages and will probably have to close the program using your computer's Task Manager. Don't try to load any web page with VbB. Use a real browser:

https://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-vbb.html#trouble_ton_of_error_messages

7 minutes ago, Random Terrain said:

Make sure Load Start Web Page on Open is turned off on the settings page. If you enable it, you'll get a ton of error messages and will probably have to close the program using your computer's Task Manager. Don't try to load any web page with VbB.

Yes I've done that ! I have the web page displayed into Firefox. ?

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up on those swanky M1 Mac and/or Windows 10 ARM users:  I got it to work after a few tries.  As usual no definite steps just a "what worked in the last attempt" explanation.

First problem was some versions of Windows 10 ARM don't install .net 3.5.  You can force the issue by making it revert to a known working Windows 10 ARM build as documented at Parallels:

https://kb.parallels.com/125526

Once you have .net 3.5 installed try copying an earlier version of VisualbB to your batari BASIC folder.  I used version 544 downloaded here:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/123849-visual-bb-10-a-new-ide-for-batari-basic/

Launch VisualbB and set the usual settings (disable the web page stuff, set NTSC or PAL, select a mono-spaced font etc..) and then close down VisualbB.

Download the latest version of VisualbB and overwrite the files in your batari BASIC folder.  Basically, we just wanted the older working VisualbB to correctly integrate its settings into the registry.  The newer VbB has problems either related to permissions or the registry branches that get created for compatibility.

If you're using Parallels to get Windows 10 ARM working I'd suggest doing all this VERY first thing after creating the virtual machine.  I suspect that also goes for bare bones Windows 10 ARM machines as well.

• 4 months later...
48 minutes ago, Frozone212 said:

It gives a script error and for some reason, Atariage is showing in the window. Using latest release. is this a bug?

I can't see the code

I'm getting random numbered errors. Someone help

Are these the error pop up windows when you start the program? You would have to disable the webpage loading upon startup in the settings tab.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 7/11/2021 at 3:37 AM, Yoruk said:

Is it normal that Visual bB needs to be launched in administrator mode ? Sounds strange... ?

(But works perfectly on my Win10 computer)

Wondering the same thing, I work in cybersecurity so this always puts me "on guard".... I'm assuming it is for backward compatibility functionality.

Edited by telengard

3 hours ago, telengard said:

Wondering the same thing, I work in cybersecurity so this always puts me "on guard".... I'm assuming it is for backward compatibility functionality.

Yup.  There was a period in time when most software was accidentally written to require Administrator Mode because developers typically ran in Admin mode and didn't check that their programs could run without it (Windows 95 - Windows XP)... Microsoft tried to rectify that with Windows Vista, which annoyed the hell out of people.

Visual bB is old enough that it's probably one of those programs that was written in such a way as to accidentally require Admin mode.

If that scares you, you can use Atari Dev Studio instead (an extension for Visual Studio Code):

• Like 2

VisualbB still has some handy editors for music, score fonts and other things.  If you can't handle giving it admin rights and still need some of the built-in tools there's Sandboxie-Plus

https://sandboxie-plus.com/sandboxie/

You can run programs in their own "sandbox" yet copy/paste and select files to be brought out into the actual file system.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Is VisualBb's source code available? Depending on what I see in it, I may try updating it to at least run without requiring admin mode, perhaps even over time update it with stuff like support for making DCS+ assets. Would be a shame to lose this feature-rich program due to compatibility issues (until Atari Dev Studio has all the same tools, or equivalent, to Vbb, it really can't be said to be a full replacement).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Darkhog said:

Is VisualBb's source code available? Depending on what I see in it, I may try updating it to at least run without requiring admin mode, perhaps even over time update it with stuff like support for making DCS+ assets. Would be a shame to lose this feature-rich program due to compatibility issues (until Atari Dev Studio has all the same tools, or equivalent, to Vbb, it really can't be said to be a full replacement).

That would be nice. The creator of it has been very busy and hasn't posted in years, so good luck.

I'm hoping that eventually Atari Dev Studio will have a replacement for the tools people are looking for in VbB. I think that would be more useful than yet another IDE. The fact that it's built on top of Visual Studio makes it cross-platform, which is something I appreciate (I first used it on my MacBook, and now on my Linux laptop).

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Karl G said:

I'm hoping that eventually Atari Dev Studio will have a replacement for the tools people are looking for in VbB. I think that would be more useful than yet another IDE. The fact that it's built on top of Visual Studio makes it cross-platform, which is something I appreciate (I first used it on my MacBook, and now on my Linux laptop).

I had downloaded Dev Studio not too long ago to get my feet wet. I really like it and I noticed with longer code it works a lot smoother. I especially love having code side by side while working on sections. The only thing holding me back is that I got used to the VbB interface first so it got a hold of me. But I sometimes have them side by side, especially since it seems it loads Stella faster in VbB. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hello,

Long time lurker (used to have an account back in 2007 ish).

The announcement of the 2600+ made me remember this IDE as I used it a lot and it got me thinking about how to re-create the sources to preserve it.

What I've done here is re-created as much from decompiled intermediary code (apart from the forms and resources).  Essentially, I have reverse engineered the tools, originally they must have been in Visual Basic but this is re-written in C# using .Net 4.8.
All the forms are the same (except with fixes) but some things are not done (such as the web browser on the ide).

All the tools are fully functional, including the VisualbB score editor (however this requires the original bB 1.0 score asm file - included), as the latest versions have changed the format.

So to summarise:

• VisualbB_555_2023.zip - Is the VisualbB IDE binary along with codewiz and ImgToCode binaries
  • VisualbB_SoundLib_555_2023.zip - is the SoundLib DLL file

The zips with '_src' are the relevant source codes for them.

The mandatory 'admin' rights are gone, but to really use the tools properly, you'll need to run them with admin privileges for them to write the settings to the registry.

All original copyrights remain in the forms and credits are the same.

I'm not sure on the policy here, about this stuff, but I wanted to throw it out here in-case it is useful.

VisualbB_SoundLib_555_2023.zip ImgtoCode_src.zip codewiz_src.zip VisualbB.SoundLib_src.zip VisualbB_src.zip VisualbB_555_2023.zip

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Random Terrain said:

Also, did you base it on Build 568? That's the latest version and it has more tools than previous versions.

I didn't know about that one, well it is definitely possible to re-base it on this version.  And yes, I agree about the built in browser..  a part of those times but best left forgotten nowadays.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SpicyPanda said:

I didn't know about that one, well it is definitely possible to re-base it on this version.  And yes, I agree about the built in browser..  a part of those times but best left forgotten nowadays.

Thanks. Have you seen this page?

https://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-vbb.html