IGNORED

Visual bB 1.0 - a new IDE for batari Basic

jwierer

Hmm, I thought Unix used % too, but I see it uses $ instead. (It's been over a decade since I've used Unix.) I haven't looked to see what Apple or Android use.

Apple's OS X uses the same bash shell for CLI thats prevalent in the Linux world, so $ is used there too. I tested the updated "2600basic.sh" script under both Linux and OS X. (as well as the new "install_ux.sh" script that sets up the bB and PATH variables permanently)

Android also has bash shell; being Linux at the core, bash is used for boot scripts and such. One would first need to install a terminal app to access it, though.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hm, I wonder if you could make some help files for VisualbB in Microsoft's HTML Help Workshop?

And you could put the help file(.CHM format) in a zip file. By the way I made a new installer for VisualbB recently.. ;)

By the way I made a new installer for VisualbB recently.. ;)

And like I said before, it's a dumb idea. Your installer will become out of date just like the Tinkernut version did, then we will have two stupid installers that we'll have to tell people to avoid. Good intentions might make you feel good, but they can also make things worse at the same time. Think about the greater good and the big picture instead of just looking at the quick, feel good fix.

And like I said before, it's a dumb idea. Your installer will become out of date just like the Tinkernut version did, then we will have two stupid installers that we'll have to tell people to avoid. Good intentions might make you feel good, but they can also make things worse at the same time. Think about the greater good and the big picture instead of just looking at the quick, feel good fix.

Errm it's not dumb, I try to cope with updating it, it takes some time.

[so I like unzip new folders, new everything, put it in installer, done]

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is actually pretty interesting. However, I am having some trouble:

You see, for some odd reason, it's telling me "Could not locate code.bas.bin and could not recompile" when I click compile and run. :?

Could somebody help me, please?

See http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-vbb.html#troubleshooting

This is actually pretty interesting. However, I am having some trouble:

You see, for some odd reason, it's telling me "Could not locate code.bas.bin and could not recompile" when I click compile and run. :?

Could somebody help me, please?

Have you checked the Troubleshooting section yet?

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-vbb.html#troubleshooting

Have you checked the Troubleshooting section yet?

is the basic code in the same directory as V bB ?

I think I now found the problem. Thank You All.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am having a big problem woth compiling. I press compile but it says It doesnt see it can some one help a detective.

I wonder if the troubleshooting section of the VbB page might help:

But then I read the troubleshooting and It still did not work..

You read, but not sure you made any changes ;)

From the troubleshooting guide

• default.bas.bin can't be found

You probably have a space in the name of the path where bB is located. Get rid of the space or spaces and see if it works.

Try not to post the same question to multiple threads. That's a good way to get ignored.

-Jeff

Then I checked inside the folder and game.bas.bin was not in there so I tried compiling again and it still did not work.

Are you still having trouble?

Start over fresh and download the latest bB from Post #1 in this thread:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/214909-bb-with-native-64k-cart-support-11dreveng/?p=2799489

Download the Visual bB from Jwierer's blog, Version 566:

http://atariage.com/forums/blog/302/entry-9759-small-update-for-visualbb/

Follow the guides to set it up.

Original guide here: http://bataribasic.com/install.html

Make a folder on the root drive, C:\Atari2600\

And a folder in that named "bB" as in:

C:\Atari2600\bB

Note: With the latest bB from that Post #1 it has a "dummy sed.exe" so that is already "moved" as the guides tell you.

Visual bB should be set up pointing to the basic.exe and it will set the Path for you.

Visual bB should be set up pointing to Stella.exe version 4.

The only other thing that might be wrong is the batch file ending in ".bat"

That batch file takes your basic text and runs it through all the programs that make it into assembly then compiling that assembly with dasm.exe into a binary file that runs in emulators and real Atari 2600s.

Different batch files exist for different operating systems. Windows paths use backslash \ while Linux & Mac use forward slash / Open the .bat file with a text editor and see if it will work on Windows.

• 4 weeks later...