bytes of ROM space left in bank 2
  999 bytes of ROM space left in bank 1
  2263 bytes of ROM space left in bank 2
  999 bytes of ROM space left in bank 1
  2263 bytes of ROM space left in bank 2
Compilation completed at 4/10/2009 10:05:54 AM
view output file:///C:/atari/bb/samples/bin
Post compilation files deleted

Notice it looks like it's compiling 3 times?

That's because DASM is a multi-pass assembler, and it needed to make three passes through the code before it was able to resolve everything. The "bytes of ROM space left" messages will be output each time DASM processes the section of code where they appear. So there's nothing wrong with your setup. It would be nice if there were a way to tell DASM not to output those messages until it's making its last pass through the code, but there isn't, because DASM doesn't know ahead of time when it's making its last pass.

Michael

Thanks for the clarification.

That's because DASM is a multi-pass assembler, and it needed to make three passes through the code before it was able to resolve everything. The "bytes of ROM space left" messages will be output each time DASM processes the section of code where they appear. So there's nothing wrong with your setup. It would be nice if there were a way to tell DASM not to output those messages until it's making its last pass through the code, but there isn't, because DASM doesn't know ahead of time when it's making its last pass.

Michael

Feature request for VbB.. it pertained to RT's Command Reference page, but your software also, see this thread:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=142491

When you bring up the TIA color chart and hover your mouse over a color, it shows the hex and decimal numbers.

Example:

$B6/182

• 3 weeks later...

I have syntax checking off.

I have a game using 8k. It's got 402 bytes left in bank 1, and 2615 bytes left in bank 2. It's got some inline ASM.

When I add something to the program vBB says:

"; is a duplicate label definition."

yet, it'll compile and run fine.

Is this something wrong I am doing?

I'm using build 544 at home. Honestly I keep it around because it works and I'm afraid to upgrade.

It might be the comments in my inline assembly-- the four lines that start with ";" in column 1. Try adding a space at the beginning of those four lines, right in front of the ; and see if that helps.

Michael

I have syntax checking off.

I have a game using 8k. It's got 402 bytes left in bank 1, and 2615 bytes left in bank 2. It's got some inline ASM.

yet, it'll compile and run fine.

Is this something wrong I am doing?

I'm using build 544 at home. Honestly I keep it around because it works and I'm afraid to upgrade.

VbB assumes that if you don't indent, and it's not a reserved term like end, then it is a label. If you use ";" twice then it will warn of a duplicate label which isn't allowed in bB. As suggested, just put in a space and you'll be fine.

-Jeff

Guess I'm going to have to upgrade. It seems between the two idiots who live in the same house as me, one of them got a virus yesterday. I just finished reformatting the computer and installing everything fresh including updates. I'm nervous because I need to get all the updated bB fixes too.

Someone should go about themselves to make an automatic installer. Licenses aside.. just include everything into one package that does it all.. adds enviroment variables, adds fixes, etc.

Edited by yuppicide

• 2 weeks later...

I am also having the problem where file.bas.bin is not found when I try to run.

My compiles _do_ complete (according to the output pane), but the only thing generated appears to be a zero-byte "output.txt" file -- no bin.

Compiling on the command line (2600bas file.bas) works fine, and does successfully create a bin.

I am using XP and my account has administrator privileges. Any ideas?

My compiles _do_ complete (according to the output pane), but the only thing generated appears to be a zero-byte "output.txt" file -- no bin.

Compiling on the command line (2600bas file.bas) works fine, and does successfully create a bin.

What build of VbB are you using? In older builds sometimes the bin was there just not in the \bin folder.

-Jeff

What build of VbB are you using? In older builds sometimes the bin was there just not in the \bin folder.

-Jeff

I am using build 544. I am pretty sure the bin is not being created, as I did a system wide search for file.bas.bin without finding it. The zero-byte output.txt also seems fishy.

I am using build 544. I am pretty sure the bin is not being created, as I did a system wide search for file.bas.bin without finding it. The zero-byte output.txt also seems fishy.

Can you post the contents of the message window? If you are seeing a blank output.txt then that means the batch file 2600bas.bat is not returning anything. the two most common reasons for that I have seen is that 2600bas.bat is in a file directory tree with a space in the name or the source file .bas is in a directory tree with a space. VisualbB does encapsulate names in quotes to handle this, but I am not sure the batch file you are using will do the same so the safest is to try with directory names without spaces.

-Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Found a small bug in 1.0v544.

This is the first time I'm really getting back into bB programming and my first or second real time taking a look at v544.

I don't like how small the font is. I liked whatever I had in the old version. I set out to find something I was happy with.

Went into Setup. Chose a new font. Didn't like it. Tried a bigger font size. Didn't like it. Tried it in bold. Didn't like it.

Now no matter what I do the little checkbox shows bold even thought it's not using bold.

Having said that does anyone know what 536 and earlier's font and size was?

Edited by yuppicide

Yeah, thanks. I should say my eyes thank you. I like Courier New in here. I've really become used to Calibri. It comes as the standard font in Word 2007.

In Crimson Editor I'm using Terminal font, size 10. It's a fixed-spacing font, so everything lines up nicely, but it looks like it's bold, so it's easier to read.

Michael

Woo-hoo! I finally figured out how to get in and actually use the Sprite Editor after like a year of trying and not getting anywhere. Yes it's taken me that long because I keep getting frustrated and not trying.

The reason was is because I don't use that Project Explorer thing and don't even have it open.

EDIT: Figured out how to resize player.. awesome.

Edited by yuppicide

How about this.. I'm in the player sprite designer.. let's say the player sprite is 80 tall, which requires me to scroll up and down to draw it all since it won't fit on my monitor.

How about making that window two separate things. On the left is where you draw the sprite. On the right is the preview. When you scroll down make the preview stay on screen so I can see it while I am drawing.

Next, when I am drawing my sprite and let's say I have scrolled down, but then let's say I switch to something else like the internet for example.. when I come back to my sprite it starts me all the way at the top again. What I'd like for it is to not do that and stay where I had left off working. This way I can switch out of VBB to visit the internet and look at something for what I am drawing in game. Then I can switch back and continue drawing.