IGNORED

HSC Season 5 Week 31: Joust

Ze_ro

This is one of those games I could easily become an expert at but don't really like for some reason. *shrugs*

My first two games worth were both 30,000-something.

My third game saw my score shoot up to: 138,050

I have no doubts that I can get that score a lot higher... the question is how much higher...

post-17630-1208196964_thumb.png

Ok, how FORKING stupid is this. I NEVER knew you could kill the pterodactyl until I just read it on the Ze_ro's main post in this thread! What the FORK. Do you people do this? Is it hard? What is meant by "exactly on its beak?" WOW! Have I been freaking missing out. I went an entire childhood and part of an adulthood and NEVER knew this. I feel cheated.

Oh, and Ze_ro? I see my score as 999950. Do I not get credit for rolling the score? I'm not too worried, just curious.

Ok, how FORKING stupid is this. I NEVER knew you could kill the pterodactyl until I just read it on the Ze_ro's main post in this thread! What the FORK. Do you people do this? Is it hard? What is meant by "exactly on its beak?" WOW! Have I been freaking missing out. I went an entire childhood and part of an adulthood and NEVER knew this. I feel cheated.

Oh, and Ze_ro? I see my score as 999950. Do I not get credit for rolling the score? I'm not too worried, just curious.

Why are you worried? Its not like any of us can make it :-p

Congrats on that very nice score.

I'll be playing tonight though i'll be lucky to hit 200k.

I have rolled the score counter! ^_^

...incidentally, I rolled the level counter at the same time, though it seems to keep track of the levels properly. After level 0, heading into level 1, the enemies were the same tough enemies as before.

I was getting really nervous as I got near the end for two reasons. One: The only game I've rolled the score counter on until now is Asteroids for the 2600. And Two: There was a moment during this in the 800,000 range where one more death and I would've been done for.

My secret to success was to move left and right as little as possible and to concentrate on up and down movement. Once all the enemies were blue I would start each level hovering as best as I could at the top of the screen to take out the top two enemies, then would find a "sweet-spot", depending on the platforms, where it would be easiest to predict how the lower enemies would come up to reach me. The egg levels were also easy once I noticed that they were the same patterns every time.

post-17630-1208288840_thumb.png post-17630-1208288846_thumb.png

My 10 year-old daughter just killed the pterodactyl last night. I never knew it could be killed either.

SEE keilbaca! There IS reason to worry! Gemini up there rolled the stupid score too. And I KNOW you have it in you! :P

Great work Gemini!

And yorgle, tell your 10-year old daughter that there is a 33 year old dork somewhere in Kentucky that thinks she is badass. :D

h

Weeell, I finally figured it out a bit. And played a lot. You can learn a lot by playing this game over and over again. And again.

I have new appreciation for this version of Joust. I might try to roll it tomorrow if scores are indeed not due until Wed. night. I think I can do it.

post-6271-1208300783_thumb.jpg

Nice scores guys!

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to play the last couple days. My laptop and I had a minor disagreement, and while I won the battle, I lost the war. I am now anxiously awaiting the arrival of a new LCD panel. Fortunately, I (ie. my wife, as I was still to irritated to deal with it) was able to find a few companies that sell used LCD's, so my stupidity only cost half as much. The laptop is over 3 years old, so a new LCD would have been silly anyway.

Tip: When frustrated with a game, set the controller down GENTLY and walk away.

Edited by aftermac

Man, I'm glad I remembered to this time around. I am always mis-reading the deadline. I blame this game for frying my mind.

Drat... I forgot to submit my score. :lol: Ah well...

Me too. Oh well it wasn't that much higher anyways. I'm not that great with Joust.

That's what I usually do when people roll the score; post the highest score possible before the roll. I'm not sure why I started doing it like that, but there you have it.

Yep, too late... sorry.

--Zero

I just noticed that you didn't include Kurt_Woloch's score in this weeks Highscore-list, it's 187,950 (post #7) so he should be on place 8.

Whoops! Not sure how I missed this, but it's fixed now. Good catch!

--Zero

• 12 years later...