IGNORED

Looks like Actionauts is ready

Mayhem

But regardless, I'd wonder if it's not an issue of accurate clock speeds, but of processors that might be interrupted by something. Many of the older systems had hardware interrupts at 50 or 60 Hz, and while you could certainly point the IRQ/NMI vectors to your own handlers, maybe you couldn't disable the source of the interrupts, so you'd always be at risk of losing sync.

I'm not aware of any system that didn't allow for disabling interrupts. Some systems would require that the screen be blanked to obtain maximum throughput, but that shouldn't be a problem--just blank the screen during the load.

I would expect that two systems whose clock speeds were within 0.1% of each other, with minimal hardware, could achieve an average throughput of about 64 cycles/byte (using an unrolled loop to the effect of:

lda (dat),y
 sta SHIFTOUT ; Assumes bit 0 for data out, inverted, and other bits don't care
 lsr
 sta SHIFTOUT
 lsr
 sta SHIFTOUT
 lsr
 sta SHIFTOUT
 lsr
 sta SHIFTOUT
 lsr
 sta SHIFTOUT
 lsr
 sta SHIFTOUT
 lsr
 sta SHIFTOUT
 nop 0
 iny

That's 56 cycles for a byte. Every few bytes would incur a little extra loop overhead. The receive code would be:

cpx SHIFTIN ; Bit 7 is data; other bits don't-care
 ror
 cpx SHIFTIN ; X is preloaded with 128
 ror
 cpx SHIFTIN
 ror
 cpx SHIFTIN
 ror
 cpx SHIFTIN
 ror
 cpx SHIFTIN
 ror
 cpx SHIFTIN
 ror
 cpx SHIFTIN
 ror
 sta (rxdata),y
 iny

The two processors have to spend a little time getting synchronized, and have to spend a few cycles every few bytes to allow one to gain/lose a cycle on the other as appropriate, but an average throughput of 64 cycles/byte should still be attainable.

Even it's not possible to avoid interruptions, the hardware required to tolerate arbitrary-length interruptions is not complicated. Throughput wouldn't be as good as with the "data blast" case, but should still be pretty reasonable. Just have a clock wire going each way, and define the protocol so that one side is master and the other side is slave. If the clocks idle high, the master will start by driving his clock low, waiting until the slave drives its clock low, then master high, then slave high, etc.

If the cabling for two clocks isn't acceptable, then wire things so the master can actively pull the clock wire one way and the slave can actively pull it the other way; when neither side is pulling, drive the clock wire weakly so as to hold its present state.

Code for that approach wouldn't run nearly as fast as for the "data blast" case, but it would still run a lot faster than 9600 baud.

Here is an example of a release similar to Actionauts. Elevator action was released as an unfinished but playable (85%??) prototype in a limited run of 200 or so copies. It came with just a box and a Black and White manual IIRC and the games had a high percentage of being Dead on Arrival. It's only been around 6 years and they are pulling $132.50

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=024

Here is an example of a release similar to Actionauts. Elevator action was released as an unfinished but playable (85%??) prototype in a limited run of 200 or so copies. It came with just a box and a Black and White manual IIRC and the games had a high percentage of being Dead on Arrival. It's only been around 6 years and they are pulling $132.50

That price is not the norm. I bought one about 6 months ago for about half that price.At the time I was looking to buy one most Elevator Action auctions were going for $60-$80.

I would like to have an Elevator Action! But not for this price!

I just got mine in the mail about 10 minutes ago during my lunch break. I didn't get a chance to realy sit down and play but I did pop it in for a second to get a peek. Mine was numbered Corey/250 which is a nice little personal touch. Thanks for this awesome game Rob I'm glad that I could be one of the lucky people to receive this. I'll take some pics when I get home.

Received mine today also #68. My personalization states: "Charles - One bug remains - sorry. Not all of these features made it through"

Thanks Rob, I haven't had a chance to try it yet either, busy around the house. One thing I noticed that Rob might want to careful of on the next ones he mails is that my address label was only attached on one side, the glue most not have been spread on thick enough or wasn't good glue. Hopefully it was just mine, and it made it here safe and sound so no worries!

thanks again,

Charles

www.evg2000.com

I would like to have an Elevator Action! But not for this price!

I would have paid that much if the game had actually been finished.

I wonder how many people will go as far as keeping the original shipping box?

Man, am I glad you mentioned it before I got mine!

Keep it unopened! :D

Crazy as it sounds, I'm willing to bet there's at least one person who doesn't open it.

:ponder: :D