IGNORED

2600 Sentinel. What a an awesome game!

ninermaniac

I think I found my favorite game for the 2600. Sentinel. This is a very challenging but extremely fun game if you have a good light gun. I use an XG-1 light gun that I personally rewired with a run of the mill 7800 pro-line joystick cable. Works awesome. I don't have to aim to the left or right a little. It's right on target! I don't know if putting another cable helped it aim or not but the cable that comes with the gun originally was too loose in the port. I wonder if this game will be put in the high scores club for us guys who can play it. I sat for about 15 minutes and got 96,000. Very easy to score high in this game. I could have probably done better but had to eat. I thought it was pretty neat how you can put music to the game by switching the left difficulty switch to B. A definite must have if you like to play a good game. I love it! :cool:

Edited by ninermaniac

Yep. Sentinel makes us wonder what other incredible light gun games might have come out for the VCS if it had not come so late in the run. I love me some Sentinel. I think I have made it to the fourth planet before, but I cannot remember. That stuff starts coming at you so fast!

Sentinel is for sure a winner, but sadly also sort of a footnote in the Atari's history due to its late release and limited exposure. Of course with today's technology and the amount of high quality homebrewers out there..... :ponder:

Send Ze_ro a PM and see what happens. It might be hard to get participants, though, since it requires a gun. You gotta ask, "How many 2600 purists would have a gun for just one game?" Sure a 7800 or SMS owner may have a compatible gun, but someone who sticks to the 2600 may not.

I love gun games myself. Though I've never played Sentinel, I think it would be a lot of fun.

You gotta ask, "How many 2600 purists would have a gun for just one game?" Sure a 7800 or SMS owner may have a compatible gun, but someone who sticks to the 2600 may not.

I love gun games myself. Though I've never played Sentinel, I think it would be a lot of fun.

Good point, but on the other hand, how many 2600 purists have Driving Controllers for just one game?

To be fair, though, Indy 500 and driving controllers are very common, and Sentinel and the light gun are not, so it comes back to your point that most players arent likely to be able to play unless they're really into the 7800.

Send Ze_ro a PM and see what happens. It might be hard to get participants, though, since it requires a gun. You gotta ask, "How many 2600 purists would have a gun for just one game?" Sure a 7800 or SMS owner may have a compatible gun, but someone who sticks to the 2600 may not.

Exact same as the 7800 version but 2600 graphics. Both versions where developed at the same time.

You gotta ask, "How many 2600 purists would have a gun for just one game?" Sure a 7800 or SMS owner may have a compatible gun, but someone who sticks to the 2600 may not.

Good point, but on the other hand, how many 2600 purists have Driving Controllers for just one game?

ME, both times...guilty as charged. I also have the Booster Grip. I am a sucker for crap like that. :D

ME, both times...guilty as charged. I also have the Booster Grip. I am a sucker for crap like that. :D

Right on. :)

You know, I've had that game for about 5 years, and I have never been able to play it. I wasn't even sure if playing it was even possible for the longest time. It was also my rarest game for a long time. I've got a long history with that game.