IGNORED

ProSystem Emulator Update?

gstanton

Does anybody still use the ProSystem Emulator? I released the emulator 3 years ago and meant to update several times but I got to busy with life. I've been toying around with releasing a new version (version 2.0) that worked with SDL and/or Java (using JNI and C++ core). I would like to add some new features but wanted to know if people are interested, how much they use the emulator (if at all), and what features and/or bug fixes they would like to see? I've been out of the emulator scene for a while and it seems to have died down.

Cheers,

Greg Stanton

Yes, I use it a lot, especially for screen shots.

It has been updated to near perfection in the past few months. A corrected palette and joypad support were added. But there are a few additions I'd still like to see (one of which would be the blurry graphics when it's resized 2x or beyond.)

Prosystem is my favorite emulator for the 7800. I don't know what else there is really, except MESS (which is annoying to set up).

As far as changing the architecture... I tend to use old computers so speed is an issue for me, but maybe others wouldn't have a problem with it. The machine I use when writing/testing 7800 code is a dual P2 on Linux, so at least 1 person would get some use out of a Linux version. That P2 currently has to run XMess.

Not sure if you saw it, but sometime way back I emailed about a bug with the Proline joystick emulation. I've noticed that the right joystick button only sends a signal for the right side, but doesn't send the legacy 2600 signal. The left button works properly. That might be the cause of controller bugs in games like "Dark Chambers", but maybe not.

It has been updated to near perfection in the past few months.

Hmm...

I just checked the forums and had no idea until now that there's been 3rd party development going on with this. I'll have to try out a newer version.

The ProSystem Emulator is the only Atari 7800 emulator on my computer at this time. I think I was told that it was the best one or I figured it out on my own. I can't remember anymore. But however it happened, the ProSystem Emulator is the one I use. It's too much trouble to drag out my Atari 7800, so I play on my computer and use this controller:

post-13-1208136724.jpg

Prosystem is my favorite emulator for the 7800. I don't know what else there is really, except MESS (which is annoying to set up).

As far as changing the architecture... I tend to use old computers so speed is an issue for me, but maybe others wouldn't have a problem with it. The machine I use when writing/testing 7800 code is a dual P2 on Linux, so at least 1 person would get some use out of a Linux version. That P2 currently has to run XMess.

Not sure if you saw it, but sometime way back I emailed about a bug with the Proline joystick emulation. I've noticed that the right joystick button only sends a signal for the right side, but doesn't send the legacy 2600 signal. The left button works properly. That might be the cause of controller bugs in games like "Dark Chambers", but maybe not.

It has been updated to near perfection in the past few months.

Hmm...

I just checked the forums and had no idea until now that there's been 3rd party development going on with this. I'll have to try out a newer version.

Yeah, ProSystem never emulated the buttons correctly. I remember that was something I always wanted to fix. There has been some further work with the original emulator source. Most of it was done by Brian Berlin who added some bug fixes and added the joystick support. My ideas for a newer version included multi-platform (Linux) and a debugger (among other things).

Does anybody still use the ProSystem Emulator? I released the emulator 3 years ago and meant to update several times but I got to busy with life. I've been toying around with releasing a new version (version 2.0) that worked with SDL and/or Java (using JNI and C++ core). I would like to add some new features but wanted to know if people are interested, how much they use the emulator (if at all), and what features and/or bug fixes they would like to see? I've been out of the emulator scene for a while and it seems to have died down.

Cheers,

Greg Stanton

Hi Greg,

I still use the ProSystem Emulator. I would be very interested to see the following outstanding issues fixed:

-One On One Basketball - Timing Issues. For instance, the countdown clock is way too fast.

-Missing In Action - Various display/graphic issues.

-Kung-Fu Master - Display Issue(s). Screen is off-center and there appears two lines in the upper left corner. Score and timer buttom of digits off-color.

-Karateka - Timing Issues (Related to One On One perhaps). The "story" scroll is too fast.

-Commando - Display Issue. Glitches along the bottom of the title screen.

-Beef Drop - Sound Issue. Occasional high-pitch squeal throughout the playing of background melody (TIA mode). Does not appear to play Pokey Sound at all.

It would also be great to have the following features/enhancments:

-VSync. Especially noticeable with Kung-Fu Master and Scrapyard Dog scrolling.

-Remapping of all inputs/functions (For instance, Reset/Select/Pause buttons and A/B switch).

-Ability to map more than one device/key input corresponding to an Atari 7800 input (I.E. Up on Player One Controller = Up Arrow, or/and Joystick 0 Up, or/and 'W' key or/and Num Pad '8').

It's great to see you posting about ProSystem Emulator. I hope you do decide to press forward with enhancing and improving it.

Thanks,

Trebor

P.S. Bob, good thinking!!! Forgot about the more accurate palette. See attached file, Greg.

Nabuko78.zip

Edited by Trebor

I always used the emulator on my PC to take screenshots for my game reviews and videos but since I have a Mac here I can't to that because there is no 7800 Emulator around (besides MESS which I cannot run :( ) so I hope that maybe a Mac conversion could be made in the near future. Would be neat :)

I only use the ProSystem emulator. As others have said, MESS may be an option but it's a pain to use as well. ProSystem was the emulator used to make level maps of Scrapyard Dog a year or so back. :) I've been toying with the idea of making maps of Sirius lately as well, but so far procrastination has won.

Hey Greg,

A couple of more issues I failed to mention in my earlier post:

-Food Fight - upper left hand corner displays one or two scanlines of "Player's" face during gameplay.

-The following games do not play at all - Blank screen when loaded:

Realsports Baseball

Tank Command

Tower Toppler

Water Ski

-Additionally, going back to Kung-Fu Master, the initial BIOS/load Atari Screen does not scroll colors thru the Fuji correctly.

Again Greg, any and all attention brought to your emulator in progressing it's accuracy and functionality would be very much appreciated. Thank you for sharing it with the community.

-Trebor

Edited by Trebor

-The following games do not play at all - Blank screen when loaded:

Realsports Baseball

Tank Command

Tower Toppler

Water Ski

Hi Trebor,

All the officially released games should work with version 1.0. Some of the rom images are not internally organized correctly (?) and some of the rom headers are incorrect. What I did notice when working with the emulator were many of the graphic glitches. I would love to clean those up as well. For that, I would need a create a good debugger. I appreciate the suggestions.

I just tried out Tank Command in the original version of ProSystem(1.0) and it also goes to a black screen. Out of curiousity I tried doubling it up to 128k and it played fine. Looks like you may want to doublecheck your 64k bankswitching.

Regards,

Mitch