IGNORED

ProSystem Emulator Update?

gstanton

Does anybody still use the ProSystem Emulator? I released the emulator 3 years ago and meant to update several times but I got to busy with life. I've been toying around with releasing a new version (version 2.0) that worked with SDL and/or Java (using JNI and C++ core). I would like to add some new features but wanted to know if people are interested, how much they use the emulator (if at all), and what features and/or bug fixes they would like to see? I've been out of the emulator scene for a while and it seems to have died down.

Cheers,

Greg Stanton

I don't Mess with MESS... ;) :twisted: Features to add... hmmm... Dolby 6.1 support for TIA sounds :P

I use ProSystem every time I play 7800 games... a sound product. I would definitely like to see an update.

Edited by MrFish

For some reason ProSystem Emulator hates the computer that is in my mame cabinet. It runs all the games way too slow. I know it isn't a killer PC but it runs MAME fine and my Nes, Super Nintendo, SMS and Genisis emu's fine also. But ProSystem runs terrible....

• 2 months later...

Hey Greg,

I hope you're still considering updating your emulator. There are two more things I would love to see fixed with it:

1. If you launch a ROM from the command line the sound is a second or two behind the action, regardless of the sound latency setting. This is fixed by hitting 'Tab' bringing up the menu bar (And then hit 'Tab' again to get rid of it). However, it would be nice for the sound to be in sync when launching from a command line without the need of bringing up the file bar menu.

2. The default palette is updated to Underball's latest palette. It is the best palette available with Hex values taken directly from a 7800.

The palette and source is here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=128755

Thanks,

Trebor

• 3 months later...

Greg,

I hope you are still looking into updating your emulator.

One other thing concerning it I noticed is the sound "glitches" which appear in some games can be cleared by setting the sample rate to 96000. Unfortunately, everytime you exit and relaunch Prosystem it returns back to its default setting of 44100.

I wish you well, and here's to hoping we see a new version of Prosystem soon!

-Trebor

P.S. Indeed, it still receives much use by the community!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

It is my first experience with source codes C ++, therefore do not judge too strictly. All has begun 2 weeks ago when I began to study emulators Atari 7800. ProSystem it has appeared the best, but had a huge lack - it was inconvenient to do screenshots. The letter to the author of the emulator remains without the answer, and I decide make changes. In parallel I have started to find defects in the emulator, and, whenever possible, to correct them. Thanks inhabitants of forum AtariAge that have specified in other errors in the emulator.

The list of changes:

Modified snapshot engine
Take screenshots by press F12 without any prompt (in style MESS)
Insignificant changes in main menu
Moved all texts in resource (for future translations)
Has put check on attempt to load CC2 hack's (in log file registers "ProSystem do not want to execute CC2 hacks.")
The default palette is updated to Underball's latest palette. It is the best palette available with Hex values taken directly from a 7800.
A little optimisation in logging messages
Documentation updated
"Unfortunately, everytime you exit and relaunch Prosystem it returns back to its default setting of 44100." - Fixed
Command line "-SampleRate" - Fixed
"If you launch a ROM from the command line the sound is a second or two behind the action, regardless of the sound latency setting." - Fixed

This release - only attempt to make addition in the best emulator Atari 7800. I hope that Greg Stanton, before release of version 2.0, will take advantage of the completions maded by me.

ProSystem_13.zip (Win32 application)

ProSystem_1_3_Src.zip (source code)

Fantastic, Leonis. Thanks for sharing. I performed a clean install of the emulator. It's great to see the sample rate remaining at the 96000 value when exiting as well as the default palette utilizing Underball's latest work. Unfortunately, the issue respecting...

"If you launch a ROM from the command line the sound is a second or two behind the action, regardless of the sound latency setting."

...Still appears to be present.

A quick way to fix this is toggling the menu ('Esc' default key mapping), which then causes the sound to sync with the video. When I launch a game from command line, the settings are full screen, 1024x768 resolution, strectch is turned on. Latency is set to Very Low and 96000 rate. However, the latency setting and rate value can be different, but the sound latency issue still exists.

-Trebor

I spend 2 hours, finding solution with wrong LATENCY when starting emulator from command line and have not any idea why the emulator so carries on itself. Attempts compulsorily to force the program to change LATENCY in what have not resulted...

As to emulation questions - I at least should know Atari 7800 architecture well. Alas, time for studying is not present and is not expected... We will wait for the official version of the emulator from the developer.

I spend 2 hours, finding solution with wrong LATENCY when starting emulator from command line and have not any idea why the emulator so carries on itself. Attempts compulsorily to force the program to change LATENCY in what have not resulted...

As to emulation questions - I at least should know Atari 7800 architecture well. Alas, time for studying is not present and is not expected... We will wait for the official version of the emulator from the developer.

whoa.

It is my first experience with source codes C ++, therefore do not judge too strictly. All has begun 2 weeks ago when I began to study emulators Atari 7800. ProSystem it has appeared the best, but had a huge lack - it was inconvenient to do screenshots. The letter to the author of the emulator remains without the answer, and I decide make changes. In parallel I have started to find defects in the emulator, and, whenever possible, to correct them. Thanks inhabitants of forum AtariAge that have specified in other errors in the emulator.

This release - only attempt to make addition in the best emulator Atari 7800. I hope that Greg Stanton, before release of version 2.0, will take advantage of the completions maded by me.

ProSystem_13.zip (Win32 application)

ProSystem_1_3_Src.zip (source code)

Great job Leonis! I updated the ProSystem web page to include your new bits. I'm currently working on version 2, but it is going slowly. The plan is to incorporate all the updates made to version 1.0 and add more functionality including Linux/Mac support to the newer version. Enhancement requests are welcome.

Great job Leonis! I updated the ProSystem web page to include your new bits. I'm currently working on version 2, but it is going slowly. The plan is to incorporate all the updates made to version 1.0 and add more functionality including Linux/Mac support to the newer version. Enhancement requests are welcome.

Yes, please: I would LOVE to have a version of this for Mac OS X. :D :D :D

..Al

Does anybody still use the ProSystem Emulator? I released the emulator 3 years ago and meant to update several times but I got to busy with life. I've been toying around with releasing a new version (version 2.0) that worked with SDL and/or Java (using JNI and C++ core). I would like to add some new features but wanted to know if people are interested, how much they use the emulator (if at all), and what features and/or bug fixes they would like to see? I've been out of the emulator scene for a while and it seems to have died down.

Cheers,

Greg Stanton

With the updated palette, it's been the only thing I've use for 7800 emulation right now.

Yes, please: I would LOVE to have a version of this for Mac OS X. :D :D :D

..Al

I too so want this. MacMESS is okay for 7800 games but I've played around with the ProSystem on cousins' PC and it's SO much better.

:thumbsup:

The 7800 is the only system I'm interested in that lacks a decent emulator that runs natively in Linux. I'll look forward to trying it out. :lust:

I'm currently working on version 2, but it is going slowly. The plan is to incorporate all the updates made to version 1.0 and add more functionality including Linux/Mac support to the newer version. Enhancement requests are welcome.

It's great to see you're still working on ProSystem, Greg! Understandably, progress does not always go at the pace we would hope for, but keep it up!

I'm patiently, but eagerly awaiting 2.0. :D

-Trebor