IGNORED

Do you primarily buy your "modern" games new or used?

Rhindle The Red

Do you primarily buy your "modern" games new or used?  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Do you primarily buy your "modern" games new or used?

• Mostly new
    • Mostly used
    • About the same
    • I don't really buy "modern" games

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

So when you are buying a new title for your "modern" console or handheld (currently Wii/Xbox360/PS3/DS/PSP), do you generally buy new (even if discounted) or used?

I tend to buy used, even if the savings isn't that much (think Smash Bros.), but can't wait for titles like Zelda or Mario. Usually, I won't buy a title new unless it's on sale or discounted heavily. Most of the "modern" stuff I get is used. (But nice. I'm still a collector, after all.)

I agree. I buy a lot of used stuff. You would be really suprised at what I can sometimes find at a local store called Game Swap (sort of a steal from GameStop, but Game Swap actually carries all the vintage/older stuff as well as new). If I buy a modern game I always make sure it comes with all the components. I don't want to have to go searching for the manual or something way down the road if I don't have to, like most of us do for our Atari games these days...

I've been collecting videogames for a very long time, and after having some disappointing experiences with used hardware and games a few years ago, I've stopped buying anything used, and I wouldn't recommend buying used games or hardware if you want them to last a lifetime. I'll even do without a game rather than buy a used copy. Of course if you can't afford new games, it's understandable.

About half and half. I've had my 360 for a year now and I still haven't bought a full-priced retail game for it. For Wii I've gotten a fair bit of cheap stuff, but nothing used. I'd prefer to buy new, but it's also hard to justify $50-$60 for most modern games when often times I have more fun with cheaper titles (whether used or new). Perfect example - I've played a lot more Pinball Hall of Fame than Smash Brothers Brawl on Wii, even though I got them within days of each other. PHoF was half the price.

If it's a game I'm really looking forward to, I'll get it new though, because I want to play it right away when it has the buzz.

Edited by BydoEmpire

Newest systems we have are the DS, PS2, XBox and Gamecube. What few games we've bought have been used games. If it's a disc game I don't care if the store re-seals them I will make/ask nicely/ the clerk to open it so I can look at the condition before buying. I don't care what they say and if I can't look I won't buy. I also only prefer to buy complete games used or not. I don't think my husband cares as long as it's playable and I suppose if they are free games then I have no room to complain either, lol.

If I get a used game system from a store then stupid or not I insist on trying the system as well as purchasing an extended warrenty. The last used system from a store was my PS2 and that was quite a while ago. The DS we won on Epay a few years ago at a very cheap price.

If the game is in very good condition with no scratches, plays fine, and is complete I don't understand why people would want to pay full price. :?

Pretty much always used, though some of the non-game Nintendo titles have been affordable enough not to wait. I got Wii Endless Ocean & DS Electroplankton & DS Jam Session right when they came out. For the most part I don't care about getting stuff new, as long as the used copy has a manual and is in decent shape. I'm so far behind on old Game Cube games that I've got plenty of time to wait until the Wii stuff gets cheaper.

I did wait for more than a year for Smooth Moves to drop in price since it was a launch title - the used copies still are barely a five dollar discount from the full price. I thought it would be reissued as a $20 game, but I finally gave up waiting and got it on Ebay for a song (along with a few more Wii launch titles).

Having said that, there are a few WiiWare titles that I plan on getting as soon as they're available. The Strong Bad game is at the top of that list. Since it's going to come out in "episodes" every month, I want to be along for the ride as each new installment comes out.

I buy about half of my "modern games" used, "modern games" being DS and PSP games for me... I tend to wait on most new releases, however, and the majority of PSP games I buy new I pay less than $20 for - often, much less... Of course, with a PSP collection numbering 180+ games, I can afford to be patient because I know I'm not going to run out of stuff to play any time soon... :cool: Still, games like Castlevania, God of War and Crisis Core will get my cash on launch day - some stuff I just can't wait to play! ;)

Honestly, with all the stuff I have going on, and my other hobbies, I can't justify spending $400+ every time a new system comes out. I used to buy brand new games back in the day, but I rarely have time to play them. I buy games when they've all but discontinued. Really, the BEST time to buy games is when a system becomes orphaned. Like the Jaguar... in 1997 / 1998, it was the best time to buy. I bought Alien VS Predator brand new at KB Toys for $5 bucks. There was another toy store (bought out by KB Toys) that was selling Jaguar cartridge games, brand new in the box, for $2.50, and CD games for $5 (Braindead 13 and Dragon's Lair was $10 each). So I bought everything I could get a hold of.

The same thing happened to the Sega DreamCast, as well as the Sega Saturn. You could buy Dreamcast games for $5 dollars at most stores. That said, I'm not as much a fenatic about other systems as the Atari, so I only go out of my way to get /EVERY/ game for the Atari Jaguar, as apposed to the Dreamcast. I mean, I couldn't possibly have every game in the world. Maybe if I had Warren Buffet's bank account...

But yeah, I buy games when the systems are OOOLD or orphaned.

1997/1998 was a good time to buy video games. The internet wasn't big enough yet that not that many people really made use of it for anything other than news, etc. eBay was still fledgling, so no one even bothered to sell stuff on there. I used to go to a place we have called the $wap $hop (it's in Fort Lauderdale). It's literally a square mile of flea market. I could go to pretty much any stand, anywhere, and they had a crate of Atari "stuff". It wasn't uncommon for me to hand someone $20 bucks, get a crate (crate included) with maybe a 5200 in it, an Atari Jr. some NES games, a bunch of 5200 games... 2600 games... just crap, all thrown in there. You just don't find deals like that anymore. Not even the newer systems...

I mostly by my video games used. Especially the classics unless they're boxed & wrapped then I guess you can say they're like new becuase of not being used but then they're dated so they are not new. If it's a new racing game I buy it new. I love racing games on such systems as the 360 because they look so real.

post-12493-1208454351.jpg

Edited by Atari~e

When I do buy modern games, which isn't often, I like to buy them new. If it's good enough for me to want to buy it, then the developer should get the financial benefit of my purchase. I don't see a lot of point in used games from that perspective. I mean, for all the good it does the developer, I might as well bittorrent the game.