IGNORED

Intellivision Controller Question

I found an Intellivision at a thrift recently. I hooked it up and put a cart in, it fired up fine, but I can't seem to play a game no matter what I push on the poor excuse of a controler. Is this a bad connection on the controller?

It could be. Here's an article on the controllers and how to do basic maintenance on them (cleaning them, etc.): INTV FAQ

If you're comfortable opening up the console (I'm assuming you have an Intellivision I or III, where the controllers are hooked up inside the console, rather than an Intellivision II or the Sears model where they're hooked up to plugs on the outside), you can get at the controller connections by taking a few screws out. Here's another article on opening up the Intellivision.

But first I'd try cleaning the controllers as explained in the first article I cited above.

Good luck!

• 14 years later...

You will want to rule out a broken wire connection first. Get a small electric meter (usually around 20 bucks) at Home Depot or Harbor Freight. And check the connection from the pins on the controller to the connection pin to the console. If they are good, then it will be something on the mylar sheet. Sometimes,  those pins on the controller get pushed down and the pad that presses the mylar sheet is worn. That can cause headaches too. You may want to bend those pins up (gently) with a screwdriver and find a thick piece of tape like a (command hook) and place it over the connections. I also would recommend getting a conductive ink pen to draw some of the damaged circuitry. It may be noticeable after cleaning if they flake off.