Sign in to follow this  
plaidbrad3141

Intellivision Controller Question

I found an Intellivision at a thrift recently. I hooked it up and put a cart in, it fired up fine, but I can't seem to play a game no matter what I push on the poor excuse of a controler. Is this a bad connection on the controller?

I found an Intellivision at a thrift recently. I hooked it up and put a cart in, it fired up fine, but I can't seem to play a game no matter what I push on the poor excuse of a controler. Is this a bad connection on the controller?

It could be. Here's an article on the controllers and how to do basic maintenance on them (cleaning them, etc.): INTV FAQ

If you're comfortable opening up the console (I'm assuming you have an Intellivision I or III, where the controllers are hooked up inside the console, rather than an Intellivision II or the Sears model where they're hooked up to plugs on the outside), you can get at the controller connections by taking a few screws out. Here's another article on opening up the Intellivision.

But first I'd try cleaning the controllers as explained in the first article I cited above.

Good luck!

I'll second that the problem is usually the controller shorting out because of pieces flaking off. Try that first.

y-bot