IGNORED

Atari 8-Bit SC1224 B&W (greyscale) monitor interface

puppetmark

In case anyone has a SC1224 monitor, I designed this circuit so our 8-Bits can use the SC1224 as a Black and White (greyscale) Monitor. Well I use the word "design" loosly. I got the LM1881 part from the Data Sheet and th video Amp is actually from Craig Lisowski's 600XL Monitor Jack Modification.

I have this running on my bench now. It really gives a crystal clear output even though it is greyscale. Very easy on the eyes. It would be great for word processing, text based games, music trackers...ect. The circuit is fairly easy to build with some basic electronics experience / knowledge. The LM1881 is a very popular IC and can be found at Jameco, Digikey, or Mouser. The hardest thing to find in the 13 pin male DIN plug that connects to the SC1224. Best Electronics and B & C have them the last time I checked. What I really like about this is that you do not have to modify your 8-Bit. It connects to the monitor jack!

This circuit should work with most RGB monitors. I say most because the Hsync output of this circut is actually composite sync and most RGB monitors will accept that as a Hsync signal but not all.

Also, this might work with the XEP80 as well but I have not tested that. I am also going to test this with a SM124 monitor. I think it will work but that will just be B & W (no shades of grey)

*EDIT*

removed pin numbers from schematic to make it easier to read.

post-9166-1208895406_thumb.jpg

Edited by puppetmark

Interesting.

But, can the ST mono monitor cope with 50 Hz PAL input?

It's true, I am using a SC1224. Its a color RGB Monitor.

The LM1881 can handle PAL or SECAM input. If the 8-bit is PAL and the RGB Monitor can handle PAL then the circuit should function just fine. Its really just a sync seperator and a video AMP.

Out of curiosity, which of three SC1224 models are you using?

Mitch

Version 2. Its a JVC Made SC1224. It has the rectangular on / off switch.

Interesting, I thought the JVC was the first model. Regardless, you can probably skip the v-sync for that monitor since, if I remember correctly, the JVC model can take c-sync.

Mitch

Interesting, I thought the JVC was the first model. Regardless, you can probably skip the v-sync for that monitor since, if I remember correctly, the JVC model can take c-sync.

Mitch

I think JVC did make the first SC1224, but the back of mine says VER2. I will try the composite Sync. Thanks

I'd be interested to see what XEP80 output looks like on this. Has anyone tried this yet?

Not yet but I will. I am not sure how wel it will work, as the SC1224 was designed to show medium and low resolution on the ST Computers. My guess is that it will look as good as any monochrome composite monitor but not much better. We will see.

Also, I tried a SM124 monitor last night and it doesn't seem to work. It may be because the luma signal from the atari also contains sync and the monochrome input onthe SM124 may not be able to cope with that.

I'd be interested to see what XEP80 output looks like on this. Has anyone tried this yet?

Not yet but I will. I am not sure how wel it will work, as the SC1224 was designed to show medium and low resolution on the ST Computers. My guess is that it will look as good as any monochrome composite monitor but not much better. We will see.

Also, I tried a SM124 monitor last night and it doesn't seem to work. It may be because the luma signal from the atari also contains sync and the monochrome input onthe SM124 may not be able to cope with that.

The SM-124 runs at 30KHz Hor and 50Hz Vert so will not work with the 8-bit freq or the XEP-80 which both work at 15KHz/60Hz.

As far as using this with other RGB monitors the industry seems to change specs all of the time and there is no flat yes no answer. Multi sync monitors that can run at 15KHz horizontal may work. Many VGA monitors will not work at 15KHz and so will not work. Sunc varies all over the place and you have to try it.

The XEP-80 is not quite standard frequencies and may not work on monitors that an 8-bit computer does. We have found several Monochrome composite monitors that would work great on an 800 but not work with the XEP-80.

Edited by myatari

The SM-124 runs at 30KHz Hor and 50Hz Vert so will not work with the 8-bit freq or the XEP-80 which both work at 15KHz/60Hz.

As far as using this with other RGB monitors the industry seems to change specs all of the time and there is no flat yes no answer. Multi sync monitors that can run at 15KHz horizontal may work. Many VGA monitors will not work at 15KHz and so will not work. Sunc varies all over the place and you have to try it.

The XEP-80 is not quite standard frequencies and may not work on monitors that an 8-bit computer does. We have found several Monochrome composite monitors that would work great on an 800 but not work with the XEP-80.

I knew the frequency was different for the SM124 but sometimes monitors can cope with different sync reguardless of the published specs. I thought it was worth a try. Thanks for the clarification. Well put: "Sync varies all over the place and you have to try it."

I think the XEP80 will work with the SC1224. It seems very forgiving. I think Its worth a try to find out.

Hey, I never noticed that Bruce hung around these boards. I love your store, I just wish my wife loved me shopping there more often.

Fletch

Interesting.

The SM-124 works at 50Hz vertical the problem is it runs at 30KHz Hor so will not work.

Both PAL an NTSC need 15KHz Hor freq.

Do you have an actual store up there? With, like, Atari 8-bit stuff in it?

I'm going to move up there...

Bob

Interesting.

The SM-124 works at 50Hz vertical the problem is it runs at 30KHz Hor so will not work.

Both PAL an NTSC need 15KHz Hor freq.

I'd be interested to see what XEP80 output looks like on this

It works great with the XEP80. In fact, I was suprised to see how clear it is! I did have to adjust the vertical and horizontal size but that is often the case when using the XEP80 with almost any monitor. It seems to want to overscan. Here are some pics. As before, it is actually more clear than my camera can show.

Also, the hook up is the same except there is just no audio to worry about. No modification is needed on the XEP80 either.

post-9166-1209097230_thumb.jpg post-9166-1209097239_thumb.jpg

post-9166-1209097245_thumb.jpg post-9166-1209097261_thumb.jpg

Edited by puppetmark

I'd be interested to see what XEP80 output looks like on this

It works great with the XEP80. In fact, I was suprised to see how clear it is! I did have to adjust the vertical and horizontal size but that is often the case when using the XEP80 with almost any monitor. It seems to want to overscan. Here are some pics. As before, it is actually more clear than my camera can show.

Also, the hook up is the same except there is just no audio to worry about. No modification is needed on the XEP80 either.

post-9166-1209097230_thumb.jpg post-9166-1209097239_thumb.jpg

post-9166-1209097245_thumb.jpg post-9166-1209097261_thumb.jpg

That is a neat hack!

Can you display 80-columns with the XEP80? I only count 75 in your pics, edge to edge, and only 23 lines. This is the "Achielles Heel" of the XEP80 -- overscan.

-Larry

Well it looks like on the XEP80 I am getting 78 characters across but the vertical if fine. I tried to adjust the horizontal size on the monitor but I still is overscanning slightly. I may have a fix for this. I will give it a try in a day or two.

*UPDATE*

Well, I reshaped the horizontal sync pulse but I still can't get all 80 characters on the SC1224. Its a pity really, as the viseo is crystal clear. However, other TTL monochrome monitors may work with this if they can multisync and teh video should be just as clear. If I come across any other monitors to test, I will post the results.

Edited by puppetmark

• 11 years later...
On 4/27/2008 at 8:40 AM, puppetmark said:

Well it looks like on the XEP80 I am getting 78 characters across but the vertical if fine. I tried to adjust the horizontal size on the monitor but I still is overscanning slightly. I may have a fix for this. I will give it a try in a day or two.

*UPDATE*

Well, I reshaped the horizontal sync pulse but I still can't get all 80 characters on the SC1224. Its a pity really, as the viseo is crystal clear. However, other TTL monochrome monitors may work with this if they can multisync and teh video should be just as clear. If I come across any other monitors to test, I will post the results.

Any update to this?  I'm looking for a vintage CRT to use with my XEP80 that will display all 80 columns and also match my Atari computer.  Thx.