IGNORED

Big changes at Opcode Games

Hello AA members and other assorted lurkers. :)

You probably noticed how quiet things have been at Opcode Games lately. I added a new blog entry to our web site which explains everything, but in a nutshell, Eduardo Mello is retiring from the CV homebrew scene, and with Eduardo's permission, I am now officially taking over Opcode Games, in terms of game production and customer service.

I strongly suggest not to contact Eduardo (either via e-mail or private messaging on AA) about any Opcode-related business, because from now on, he won't be taking care of anything in any capacity. His only remaining involvement in Opcode Games is his vow to finish Pac-Man Collection's software, and there is no real deadline attached to that vow, so we can only collectively hope that Eduardo will find the time this summer to complete PMC.

Thank you all for your continued support. :)

Hello AA members and other assorted lurkers. :)

You probably noticed how quiet things have been at Opcode Games lately. I added a new blog entry to our web site which explains everything, but in a nutshell, Eduardo Mello is retiring from the CV homebrew scene, and with Eduardo's permission, I am now officially taking over Opcode Games, in terms of game production and customer service.

I strongly suggest not to contact Eduardo (either via e-mail or private messaging on AA) about any Opcode-related business, because from now on, he won't be taking care of anything in any capacity. His only remaining involvement in Opcode Games is his vow to finish Pac-Man Collection's software, and there is no real deadline attached to that vow, so we can only collectively hope that Eduardo will find the time this summer to complete PMC.

Thank you all for your continued support. :)

I'll try my best to help Opcode ;)

Ah yes, sorry J-F, I was in such a hurry this morning that I forgot to mention you. retroillucid has now officially joined the Opcode team. He will be helping us with cartridge production, and also box printing. Welcome to the team, J-F! :D

Ah yes, sorry J-F, I was in such a hurry this morning that I forgot to mention you. retroillucid has now officially joined the Opcode team. He will be helping us with cartridge production, and also box printing. Welcome to the team, J-F! :D

When will I get my Magic Tree back? He recalled them and I mailed it out, but I haven't heard a peep.

-Lee

When will I get my Magic Tree back? He recalled them and I mailed it out, but I haven't heard a peep.

-Lee

Hmmm... I'll try to get in touch with Eduardo and see what's up with that. Please send me e-mail at luc@opcodegames.com to give me your name and coordinates, so that Eduardo can check his records.

Thanks for letting us know about this.

Damn, that ain't good. Eduardo was a top-tier ColecoVision developer, and his work will be deeply missed.

I heard from Eduardo today, and he had quite a surprise for me: It seems Ping-Pong is not truly finished. I originally thought he had completed the port to the ColecoVision years ago and had made a few carts for his friends, but it seems those carts have an incomplete version of the software. He didn't provide any further details about what's missing, so that's one more thing I'll have to discuss with him later this week. This certainly throws my planning off a bit... :(

Hi Luc.

That order i make for a while ago for RF and SKJ.

Would that be sent from you, or Eduardo ?.

And the money i sent, would they be redirected to you -or are they lost ?.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. If you've already paid for your order, then it should be Eduardo's business to close up. I'll look into it for you. Please keep in mind that Eduardo still answers my e-mail about once a week, and as I'm writing this post, he hasn't visited the AA forums since April 7th, so this may take some time to sort out.

That's a shame but maybe he'll change his mind in the future. It's more important that he do what's right for himself at the moment.

CV homebrew scene seems tougher than the VCS side. There just seems to be less overall interest and I feel like the games don't always get the same respect for the work involved. I can't blame him if he finds it tough to get motivated to do it with real life stuff like his job to attend to.

CV homebrew scene seems tougher than the VCS side. There just seems to be less overall interest and I feel like the games don't always get the same respect for the work involved. I can't blame him if he finds it tough to get motivated to do it with real life stuff like his job to attend to.

I can't speak for others, but for me, one big "demotivator" is the lack of good CV sound tools. The graphic tools are good enough, the C compilers available are good too, but while there are some nice sound tools out there (like CVDrum), from what I've seen there's very little available in terms of tools and docs that will let me code sound data the way *I* would like to, and beginner (and even more experienced) CV homebrewers are forced to dabbled in the dark until they find sound effects that are close enough to what they're looking for. Suppose I'd want to create a piece of music similar to the wonderful Spy Hunter theme, or the great music from Mr Do's Castle, how am I supposed to do that (regardless of my personal lack of expertise in music in general)?

Atari 2600 games can get by on basic sound effects because it's mostly expected, but the CV's more advanced sound chip sets the bar higher for CV homebrewers. Lack of good music and sound effects take a lot of the thunder away from CV homebrews, especially when you compare them to commercial offerings from the 1980's. I'm currently working on my Sudoku CV game, but all Opcode-related business aside, I must admit that I'm not all that motivated to work on it since I know I'll be hitting a wall when I get around to coding music and sound effects.

This is indeed very sad news for the CV community - particularly as Eduardo whetted our appetite for many more games that may never now materialise.

Regardless, I am very please that Luc and J-F are going to keep Opcode going and I wish them both every success. I for one will be eagerly watching for any future releases and supporting them by buying the games.

Keep up the good work guys - we need you :)

Hi guys,

First of all, I would like to thank you for supporting me for so many years. It was an incredible ride, full of good memories and many friends. I can say it was probably one of best times in my life.

However, storm always come... and it changes you. I now have different priorities in life. Gaming is still there, but it just isn't as important as it used to be.

So I decided to retire, maybe for a while, maybe for good. Opcode Games is now in good hands. Luc is extremely dedicated and professional, and I am sure he will put Opcode Games back on track, and will provide all of you a much better service than I could even dream about.

I have a last assignment, though, that's to finish PMC. We are so close that it would be a shame to abort it now. And after PMC, who knows...

Well, thanks a lot again guys for all the support and friendship. Hopefully I will be still around for enjoy the forums and meet all the good friends here.

Btw. If you want to contact me, please use the Atariage private messaging as I hardly check my opcode email anymore. Oh, and if I still have any pending deals with any of you, please let me know. Lee, I apologize, I had completely forgotten about your MT. I will send it tomorrow morning. Ole, your games were already shipped. You should get them soon. Did I forget anyone? :)

Love you guys. See you around… :D

Eduardo

So I decided to retire, maybe for a while, maybe for good. Opcode Games is now in good hands. Luc is extremely dedicated and professional, and I am sure he will put Opcode Games back on track, and will provide all of you a much better service than I could even dream about.

I have a last assignment, though, that's to finish PMC. We are so close that it would be a shame to abort it now. And after PMC, who knows...

Well, thanks a lot again guys for all the support and friendship. Hopefully I will be still around for enjoy the forums and meet all the good friends here.

Nice of you to drop by, but you should really change your signature, just so you won't be giving anyone here any false hopes... ;)

Nice of you to drop by, but you should really change your signature, just so you won't be giving anyone here any false hopes... ;)

Which remainds me that I have a few games here in completed /almost completed state that you could release, as long as you manage to release the Memory Pack. Knightmare, Goonies, YAKF II, King's Valley, and maybe a few others...

Which remainds me that I have a few games here in completed /almost completed state that you could release, as long as you manage to release the Memory Pack. Knightmare, Goonies, YAKF II, King's Valley, and maybe a few others...

DONKEY KONG ARCADE! PLEASE!!!

That being said: Eduardo, wish you the best man, always had good dealings with you and your games were top notch. I'm sure Luc will do his best to carry on that tradition.

-Michael