IGNORED

Temple of Apshai

Anyone ever play this game? or the various sequels and prequels?

I remember playing it ages ago and I was just wondering if there is a "best" version out there?

The nicest version I remember playing is the Temple of Apshai Trilogy. Also, is there an end to the game or are all versions pretty much the same thing? i.e. endless random dungeons...

The only game of the Apshai series I ever played is Gateway to Apshai on the ColecoVision. It's one of my favorite games on the console. :)

I've always wondered about the differences in features and gameplay between Temple of Apshai and Gateway to Apshai. Just to satisfy my curiosity, I'd welcome any comments from those who have played those games.

Anyone ever play this game? or the various sequels and prequels?

I remember playing it ages ago and I was just wondering if there is a "best" version out there?

The nicest version I remember playing is the Temple of Apshai Trilogy. Also, is there an end to the game or are all versions pretty much the same thing? i.e. endless random dungeons...

Yes all the versions are pretty much the same thing.

Temple of Apshai is the main module. There are two add on packs for it, but you need Temple to play them. In the first trilogy you have:

Temple of Apshai

Upper Reaches of Apshai

Curse of Ra

Later they made a sequel called Hellfire Warrior. It's basically the same game with a few tweaks. As with Temple of Apshai, you need Hellfire Warrior to play its two add ons. In this trilogy you have:

Hellfire Warrior

Danger in Dindisti

Keys of Acheron

Gateway to Apshai is a more action oriented version of Temple of Apshai. It really doesn't have anything to do with the two trilogies though.

As for the best version, I'm not sure. The C64 is bound to have better graphics than the PC, Apple, and Atari versions, but I'm not sure if all the add ons were released for it. I know the Apple and Atari got all of them, but they're quite rare. I'd go with the Atari or Apple versions.

Tempest

I loved the Apshai series - I still have the manual for the c64 game (Legend of Brian Hammerhand, anyone?). I liked the single adventurer setting - it was a nice change of pace from the many party-based RPGs. At the time, it also looked really good. It's been such a long time, though, I can't really say how well the games hold up. I never played Gateway to Apshai, though I've been keeping my eyes open for the A8 cart.

The C64 did get all three original Apshai episides, along with Gateway to Apshai AND Temple of Apshai Trilogy. The latter takes the three originals, puts them together in one package with improved graphics. Really like that edition. And yes, I do own all of them ;)

Wow....thats cool info. I had no idea about some of the 'sequels'.

Gateway to apshai was a lot of fun on the CV and I remember the trilogy on the C64.

I remember the dragon and vampire in Gateway to Apshai being really tough.

I'll have to track down some of the others. Seems this would be a cool Xbox live or WII VC console game.

I actually saw a bunch of the games on ebay just doing a search but I might stick with emulation for now.

I once wrote in to EPYX for some help on beating the tougher Gateway to Apshai monsters- dont forget that mamba snake! They sent back a rather cryptic single sheet of paper explaining what some items do, etc. Ill see if I can dig it up, I know I still have it...

Edited by RJ

Apshai was a fun, if early, dungeon crawl. The updated 'Apshai Trilogy' is still fairly playable, but the original games are sloooooooooow.

Gateway is pretty fun still. It's a good action rpg/dungeon crawl. When I drag out the 8-bit of the Colecovision, I usually play a game or two. Fun times.

I once wrote in to EPYX for some help on beating the tougher Gateway to Apshai monsters- dont forget that mamba snake! They sent back a rather cryptic single sheet of paper explaining what some items do, etc. Ill see if I can dig it up, I know I still have it...

That would be cool if you can post it, I think everyone would like that!

:D

That would be cool if you can post it, I think everyone would like that!

:D

I sure would - definitely post it if you get a chance! Man, I need to play some Apshai again. I was rereading the manual the other day - I love the text descriptions of the rooms. If you can't do it in the game, put it in the manual!

• 2 weeks later...
To me, the C64 is the definitive version for any of the games in the series.

I love Gateway to Asphai and Temple of Asphai!!!!!

Those games ate up alot of my time on the C64.

Agreed. At least for me. I remember my friend had this game and a C64. Played it for hours on end. I would have to be dragged from his house. Also loved playing MULE, Archon, Seven Cities of Gold & Beach Head!

Then I would go home and get to play my Apple IIc - Karateka, Captain Goodnight, Bilestoad, Choplifter, etc.

God how great was it back in the Day :)

Quick Photoshop + OCR + proofreading:

The following is a list of explanations of the various spells, and
items found in "GATEWAY TO APSHAI."

CROSS - The cross is used in defense of the "Undead" creatures.
How this is done is by adding +3 to the players defense.  (Undead =
Vampires, Ghouls, and Zombies).

WAND  - The wand changes the value of all previous owned magic
items.  The change being adding a +1.

DISARM SPELL - When a character enters a room he/she can cast
cast this spell and all traps will be "disarmed"/disabled.

STAFF - This item like the wand increases magical items, but
with the difference of a +3 instead of a +1.

CONFUSESPELL - Causes the monsters in the room that the charac-
ter is in to move randomly, versus directly after the character.

GAUNTLET - The item in real life is a large metal glove to pro-
tect the hand and forearm.  In the game, it adds a +1 to defense.

DEATHSPELL   - Is quite obvious, it kills everything in the room.

MAGIC ARMOR  - This is another protection item.  +5 defense,
also will protect against cursed traps.

STUN SPELL   - Causes the monster(s) in the room with the
character to pause ("be stunned") for a calculated time (add agility,
luck, and the WAND (if owned) = the time involved.

STONE SPELL  - Same thing that stun spell is except; it will
freeze all monsters on that level for said period of time.

PROTECT SPELL- Added defense score (armor + luck).

SHIELD SPELL - Like the above, only adds a +1 to it.

MAGIC SWORD  - There are two of these swords: one is as it says,
a standard +5 magic sword. But the other sword is a "CURSED SWORD"
labled with just the words "magic sword."  The CURSED SWORD can do
four things: 1) Luck = 0  2) wand 0  3) Health = 1/2  4) is magic
sword. This is chosen randomly.

We hope this information helps you and makes the game a bit more
understandable.

The original Temple of Apshai game was called Dunjonquest. It was first released for the TRS-80 Model I and then the Commodore PET. I remember playing the PET version in 1980. My school had a bunch of Commodore PETs, the first computers that I ever used.

There is a link to a disk image of the PET version in a post at http://landover.no-ip.com/pet/viewtopic.php?id=338. :ponder: