IGNORED

Robot City - New 2600 Homebrew (v0.21)

Albert

• 1 year later...

I can't believe this amazing game of Thomas' has slipped by me and I haven't put it on ZeroPage Homebrew yet!!! Time to remedy that.

Robot City will be on our next livestream of ZeroPage on Wednesday September 5! The show will start at 2PM PT/5PM ET and if you not able to watch it live, it it'll be on our YouTube archives the next day. :-)

Twitch: https://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew

YouTube: https://youtube.com/zeropagehomebrew

• Like 2

Well, the unfinished 2K version is quite playable and fun. It's very difficult, but I like having unlimited retries. There's a lot of strategy involved, not just in determining how to shoot the tanks in the back, but not restricting your own movement too much with disabled tanks. I was proud of myself for managing to beat the first level. :-)

It's got amazing strategy to it as Karl G said above, it's very, very playable and super challenging. Do you have a to-do list for what's left to finish up on the game?

Unfortunately the issue with Thrust destroyed my motivation back then. And I never continued with the game.

Only the 1K version got finished for the Minigame Competition.

IIRC I had plans for power ups which the player could get from killed tanks. Also the fuel does not play any role in the game yet. Same with lives. And then I had a menu planned with settings for the maze style and other options (e.g. tanks reviving each other).

I also had a nice title screen which looked like the one for SWOOPS! No idea where that went.

:-o Wow! :-o I haven't had a chance to play, but just watched this on ZPH (YouTube). Thanks for playing this guys and thanks again for your latest release, Thomas. Not sure what else you were planning to add, but this looks ready to add to the AA Store. :thumbsup:

This truly is an amazing (and challenging!) game, a big thanks to Thomas for making it!! I'm so glad to have been able to play it on ZPH for more people to discover it! :-)

Here's the link to Wednesday's show where we play Robot City! (we start playing at 1h40m8s): https://youtu.be/VMEDWNluG5g?t=1h40m8s

(forward to 1h40m8s, sorry for the distorted mic at the top of the show)

Edited by cimmerian
  • Like 2

Okay, just played a few rounds and this game really is good! The AI is relentless, but in a challenging way, not in a "I'll never play that game again" way. I agree with the ZPH comments, that if this were ever completed, it may help to make an Easy mode, with maybe 2 tanks, ramping up to 4. I say this without knowing how many tanks the "based-on" game started out with. However, if this were implemented, then the Normal or Challenge mode, could be the game as-is. Would also be nice to have the ability to save your high scores and of course some in game sounds. BTW, I love the option to select your maze. This alone adds to the games replayability.

This is a very good/challenging game, that is very near completion. I'll be playing this one a lot more. :thumbsup:

Edited by sramirez2008
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

After the positive feedback from ZPH and this thread, I had decided to have a look at Robot City again when time permits. This took more than a whole year. :) 

So, after a 13 years break, over the last days I have started working on the game again. Mainly to mature and optimize (I want to stay within 4K) the code and enable some functionality. Now the game has 5 variations:

• kids (slowest, 5 lives, just 2 tanks, no tank revive...)
  • easy (slow, 5 lives, 3 tanks, no tank revive...)
  • normal (normal, 4 lives, all 4 tanks, no tank revive...)
  • hard (fast, 4 lives, all 4 tanks, tanks revive each other...)
  • expert (fastest, 3 lives, all 4 tanks, tanks revive each other...)

Also the (randomly generated) sector mazes become more difficult (on average) in harder games.

I still have a quite a long to-do list (e.g. almost no sound, no difficulty increase, high scores) and a few bugs. But nevertheless, IMO now is a good time for releasing an update. Feedback welcome!

Robot_City_20191110.zip

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...