IGNORED

Juno First - Final Version (Atari 2600)

cd-w

• 4 weeks later...

A small "feature" came to light recently with the cartridge release of Juno First. The high score table is not shown when the right difficulty switch is in the A position (continue mode disabled) - to view the high score you need to slide this difficulty switch to the B position. I have now fixed this problem, and the final version is attached below. This fixed version will now be used on all future Juno First carts that are produced. However, around 50 carts were produced with the previous version. If you have one of these carts then you now have an exclusive limited collectors edition!

Chris

juno1_final_ntsc.bin

juno1_final_pal60.bin

• Thanks 2

BTW, not to hijack this thread but I've now put in orders for parts to assemble new AtariVox boards. I will start a forum topic and/or blog post series about it with details within days. :)

Cool - it will be good to have the AtariVox available again. Will these units be the same as before, or is there some improvement?

Chris

However, around 50 carts were produced with the previous version. If you have one of these carts then you now have an exclusive limited collectors edition!

Awesome game! I am also a proud owner of an "LE" cart. I have actually played it ALOT! I have made it to wave 20. The game is very addictive, fun and tough. Thank you for making it. :)

Awesome game! I am also a proud owner of an "LE" cart. I have actually played it ALOT! I have made it to wave 20. The game is very addictive, fun and tough. Thank you for making it. :)

Thanks - it is always good to know that people are enjoying my games (which for me is the point of writing them).

Chris

Thanks - it is always good to know that people are enjoying my games (which for me is the point of writing them).

Chris

So, what are you doing for an encore?

I'm working on the Harmony cartridge driver software at the moment. After that, I'm planning to restart the Prince of Persia project. I also have some ideas for a sequel to Juno First (Juno Second?), but I'll hold off on that for a while.

Chris

Edited by cd-w

I'm working on the Harmony cartridge driver software at the moment. After that, I'm planning to restart the Prince of Persia project. I also have some ideas for a sequel to Juno First (Juno Second?), but I'll hold off on that for a while.

Chris

I know this is an arcade port - but what exactly does "Juno First" mean?

I know this is an arcade port - but what exactly does "Juno First" mean?

Good question - it wasn't clear from the instructions on either the original arcade or the home computer conversions. I suspect it is a Japanese mistranslation, like Donkey Kong. Nathan provided a good interpretation in the manual backstory:

"There is no one left. No attack fleet. No reinforcements. Just you and a handful of reserve ships. Enemy forces are threatening the Juno colony - Earth's last defence post. You must fend off wave after wave of enemy ships, skimming dangerously above the planet's force field. How long can you hold them off? You must persevere - whoever controls Earth, must take Juno first!"

Chris

• 1 month later...

I'm a bit late to the game on this one, but are carts still available and if so, from where?

I've really enjoyed playing this. It has that classic feel like it's an official release that came out back in the 80's.

Thanks - the AA store is closed at the moment, but you might be able to get one if you send a private message to Albert.

Chris

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This is one of my favorite homebrew games and one of the ones I just had to buy. However, never satisfied to leave well enough alone...

I started comparing this to the arcade, looked at espire8's ship, liked his cockpit but not so much the body, merged the shape with yours, made an attempt to interpret the arcade colors, and...

post-9364-0-76419000-1301212708_thumb.png

Juno First (New Ship).bin

Let me know what you think of the edit.

I haven't checked this out on a TV yet, so I may need to lighten the nose of the ship a bit.

post-9364-0-08177800-1301212955_thumb.png post-9364-0-47169100-1301212963_thumb.png

post-9364-0-45267400-1301212922_thumb.png post-9364-0-87275000-1301212930_thumb.png

This is one of my favorite homebrew games and one of the ones I just had to buy. However, never satisfied to leave well enough alone...

I started comparing this to the arcade, looked at espire8's ship, liked his cockpit but not so much the body, merged the shape with yours, made an attempt to interpret the arcade colors, and...

I think you should remove the white pixel at the front of the ship - it makes the ship look as if it is pointing directly upwards, while the previous ship was shaded to look as if it was pointing into the screen. Other than that, it looks good :thumbsup:

Chris