IGNORED

Help us celebrate issue #100

If you didn't know, Issue #100 of the 2600 Connection is scheduled to be published on July 1, 2009.

We would like to celebrate the milestone of the 100th print issue of the 2600 Connection with an exclusive videogame!

So if you are a homebrew programmer and you would be interested in helping us release a special game, please let us know.

Or, maybe we will find a prototype that can be released at the same time as issue 100.

We still have over a year, so we are still in the planning stages.

But - you'd be surprised how fast time flies when you plan things like this!

We have not worked out all the details yet..but the idea is: when you receive issue 100, it will also come with an Atari 2600 videogame!

How cool would that be?

#100 (Jul / Aug 2009) will feature:

COLOR pages... (we have never done this before - we have always published black and white pages with greyscale pictures)

A large number of pages... a very thick issue (we don't have a total yet but wouldn't something like a 100 page issue be outstanding?)

Perhaps we could offer full-page ads to anyone for a minimal fee (such as $5 or $10)

A restrospective look back at the past 100 issues..

Letters from Readers

News & Notes

Classified Ads

and MUCH, MUCH more

We are not looking to make a boatload of money on this project. If we can break even, I believe that would be a good goal to strive for.

We just thought it would be cool to do something special for issue 100. We still have lots of details to work out, but right now if you'd like to help or if you would like to contribute, that would be great.

GOT ANY IDEAS?

Tim Duarte

co-founder, 2600 Connection

publisher 1990-1998

great ideas,

anyway I hope that contrary to what some rumors say, it wont be the last issue

yes, that 100th issue sounds like it is going to be great but I like the normal issues,too and I dont want 2600 connection to stop...

If you didn't know, Issue #100 of the 2600 Connection is scheduled to be published on July 1, 2009.

We would like to celebrate the milestone of the 100th print issue of the 2600 Connection with an exclusive videogame!

So if you are a homebrew programmer and you would be interested in helping us release a special game, please let us know.

Or, maybe we will find a prototype that can be released at the same time as issue 100.

We still have over a year, so we are still in the planning stages.

But - you'd be surprised how fast time flies when you plan things like this!

We have not worked out all the details yet..but the idea is: when you receive issue 100, it will also come with an Atari 2600 videogame!

How cool would that be?

#100 (Jul / Aug 2009) will feature:

COLOR pages... (we have never done this before - we have always published black and white pages with greyscale pictures)

A large number of pages... a very thick issue (we don't have a total yet but wouldn't something like a 100 page issue be outstanding?)

Perhaps we could offer full-page ads to anyone for a minimal fee (such as $5 or $10)

A restrospective look back at the past 100 issues..

Letters from Readers

News & Notes

Classified Ads

and MUCH, MUCH more

We are not looking to make a boatload of money on this project. If we can break even, I believe that would be a good goal to strive for.

We just thought it would be cool to do something special for issue 100. We still have lots of details to work out, but right now if you'd like to help or if you would like to contribute, that would be great.

GOT ANY IDEAS?

Tim Duarte

co-founder, 2600 Connection

publisher 1990-1998

Edited by lucifershalo

100 issues, man I remember when 2600 connection came out, because a year later the Atari zone Fanzine went public.

if you can get hold of arnie katz, who basically was the one who pushed my fanzine to new height after reviewing it

in Video games and Computer magazine. (we started to get 30 subscribers, and we also gained 2 members for every one we lost)

unfortunately,subscriptions went down now but we still do the newsletter we just put in on the web. now(though we still print it out for those

who want it) we're on hiatus until next year.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I could offer a special download of my game where the colors are white and black similar to how the first 99 issues were. I would give a special url to download the rom image only via that url. The other idea is to provide the game via a mini cd that can be inserted into a cd player and hooked up to a Supercharger for play. Is this good?

Thanks

I like your idea. Very cool. I can picture a version with a white background and the ball and the players are black in color, similar to how the newsletters look.

I will send you a PM so we can discuss further.

Tim

I could offer a special download of my game where the colors are white and black similar to how the first 99 issues were. I would give a special url to download the rom image only via that url. The other idea is to provide the game via a mini cd that can be inserted into a cd player and hooked up to a Supercharger for play. Is this good?

Thanks

Hi there,

I think this is a great idea! I wish I had been motivated to do some original 2600 coding but lately I haven't :sad:

• 2 months later...

Not a problem. We do have some good news to announce:

As part of our upcoming 100th Issue celebration, we will be releasing a new limited edition 2600 game called Mean Santa.

We can’t comment on the game yet since it is still in the programming & test phases and therefore subject to change.

At this point no advance orders can be accepted.

We’ll keep you posted.

Hi there,

I think this is a great idea! I wish I had been motivated to do some original 2600 coding but lately I haven't :sad:

• 1 month later...

Good Luck on Issue #100. If you need some assistance in printing the full color mag, let me know.

I would also like to spotlight 2600 connection in our May or July issue. Would you be open to an interview?

Feel free to PM me.

Tom Sansone

Video Game Trader Magazine & Price Guide

Keeping classic and orphaned video games... alive!

www.VideoGameTrader.com

• 4 weeks later...

PM sent.

thanks

Tim

Good Luck on Issue #100. If you need some assistance in printing the full color mag, let me know.

I would also like to spotlight 2600 connection in our May or July issue. Would you be open to an interview?

Feel free to PM me.

Tom Sansone

Video Game Trader Magazine & Price Guide

Keeping classic and orphaned video games... alive!

www.VideoGameTrader.com

Edited by timdu

• 1 month later...
Not a problem. We do have some good news to announce:

As part of our upcoming 100th Issue celebration, we will be releasing a new limited edition 2600 game called Mean Santa.

We can’t comment on the game yet since it is still in the programming & test phases and therefore subject to change.

At this point no advance orders can be accepted.

We’ll keep you posted.

I almost forgot about this thread.

Is this still in progress, or was this abandoned?

-John

• 4 weeks later...

I am happy to report that the MEAN SANTA Atari 2600 release is alive and well. I just received a Beta candidate release from the programmer and it is coming along great.

I am spending some considerable time testing the game out right now. I will try to post a screen shot later this weekend. I think this is going to be an enjoyable game cartridge.

More details soon.

Tim D.

I am happy to report that the MEAN SANTA Atari 2600 release is alive and well. I just received a Beta candidate release from the programmer and it is coming along great.

I am spending some considerable time testing the game out right now. I will try to post a screen shot later this weekend. I think this is going to be an enjoyable game cartridge.

More details soon.

Tim D.

Here are 3 screen shots:

mean1.jpg

mean2.jpg

mean3.jpg

Take a look at our web page

http://2600connection.atari.org/ms.html

Tim Duarte

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

As part of the celebration of the 100th print issue of the 2600 Connection, I am happy to report that we are getting very close to completion for the cartridge release of Mean Santa.

Please check out the youtube video of Mean Santa

thanks

Tim Duarte

2600 Connection, editor / publisher issues 1-50

http://2600connection.atari.org

• 1 month later...

100 issues. congrats! I subscribed to 2600 Connection for a while after seeing it reviewed in Factsheet 5 in the mid/late 90s.

Excellent publication (2600 Connection and F5, of course).

Glad to see you guys are still out there made it to issue 100.

Edited by Smatchmo

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update for you... we have a final game binary and as of today Oct. 10, we have proceeded with starting production of the first 100 cartridges. Each game will be numbered 1 of 100, 2 of 100, etc. The game will include a manual and a box. It is a plastic DVD style case... but thicker... it holds a 2600 cartridge quite nicely. I will have more info shortly on the actual release date, but we are hoping for Nov. 1

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

It's official! The wait is over!

Mean Santa has been released and is ready to be shipped via Priority Mail.

Get yours for $25.00 + postage below:

Postage:

$5.00 USA

$11.00 Canada / Mexico

$13.00 Other / International

Handling: $1.00 For PayPal transaction/conversion fees ( to albackiel@aol.com )

Payment: Will accept a check drawn on a US bank or PayPal.

All prices are in US DOLLARS.

Mean Santa comes complete with a serial-numbered cartridge (1 of 100, 2 of 100, 3 of 100 etc.), case, and game manual.

It will only be a limited run of 100 games.

Al Backiel

253 Rock Rd.

Ridgewood, NJ 07450-4719

email: albackiel@aol.com

http://2600connection.atari.org