IGNORED

Monkey Wrench?

Larry

At least with the version of the MW that I have in a 16K cart, forget about using it with the XL/XE.

With the cart present, I tried entering/editing a BASIC program and the computer locks up almost instantly.

However, it does play nice with the Omniview OS. There must have been a reason for that note on this (original) cart "800 Only!"

-Larry

Thanks, I'll compare them against my cart(s). I need to explore my dead cart and see if it is a bad eprom or just a contact issue in the sockets.

-Larry

Remember, if it is a MW2 cart, there are 2 versions, 800 or XL. The 800 one will assume a 'Right Cartridge' position in memory ($A000-$BFFF) with BASIC being in the 'Left Cartridge' position ($8000-$AFFF). The XL version will be assuming the "Left Cartridge' position in memory.

EDIT: After reading the last page of the manual, it states that MW2 uses $8000-9FFF, even in the right slot of a 800. So , not being a programmer or fully understanding the memory map, How can the cart be using that area with a BASIC cart plugged into the left slot which is mapped to $8000-$9FFF??

Edited by Guitarman

I have compared the two Atarimania MW files with my "good" cart. Mine is quite similar to the MWII and vastly different than the MW. I wonder how many versions/tweaks there were?

-Larry

That MW1 for the 800 looks to be only 4K. You could burn one and put a DOS in the first 4K.

Yes, that's what I was thinking, also -- plenty of room in that cart, but lots of pain for not much gain, I think.

Incidently, I checked out my "good" and "bad" carts. The eproms in both are good, but one of the carts is bad (that's odd!). There is a 74LS00 and a ceramic cap. Any guesses which is bad? I'll try the cap first, since its a much easier "fix."

My second version also says MW II, but like A8isa1's cart, this one responds properly to X=USR(32768). I'll have a go at this one.

-Larry

Depends.

The "painful" would be Assembling your favourite DOS to work from ROM, also probably needing a bit of RAM based code which is copied down.

The easy way would be to just have the cart copy an image into $700-$1xxx on coldstart and set the vector and Memtop pointer. Probably 50 or so lines of code, then just tack the DOS onto the end of it.

Depends.

The "painful" would be Assembling your favourite DOS to work from ROM, also probably needing a bit of RAM based code which is copied down.

The easy way would be to just have the cart copy an image into $700-$1xxx on coldstart and set the vector and Memtop pointer. Probably 50 or so lines of code, then just tack the DOS onto the end of it.

Since we're "what-if" ing, maybe a good utilization of the 4K would be for some useful utilites that could be accessed via USR from BASIC. Any suggestions?

-Larry

The problem there would then be that you'd have something that you could develop for but not use the programs on other systems or without the cart.

- Maybe a monitor? Rip the one out of Omniview and relocate it.

- 80 column software E: handler - although with only 32K RAM would have limited usefullness.

- Turbo-charged E: and S: handlers with more optimised routines.

Edited by Rybags

Remember, if it is a MW2 cart, there are 2 versions, 800 or XL. The 800 one will assume a 'Right Cartridge' position in memory ($A000-$BFFF) with BASIC being in the 'Left Cartridge' position ($8000-$AFFF). The XL version will be assuming the "Left Cartridge' position in memory.

EDIT: After reading the last page of the manual, it states that MW2 uses $8000-9FFF, even in the right slot of a 800. So , not being a programmer or fully understanding the memory map, How can the cart be using that area with a BASIC cart plugged into the left slot which is mapped to $8000-$9FFF??

Guitarman:

8K carts are typically mapped to $A000-$BFFF. 16K cart $8000-$BFFF.

Right-hand carts are always mapped to $8000-$9FFF.

The banks are enabled by the cart asserting RD4 line for the lower bank ($8000-$9FFF) and RD5 for the upper bank. There is no RD5 line in the right-hand cartridge slot of the 800.

I'm not sure how the Monkey Wrench II XL cart works but a clever design would be for a cart to only assert RD4 making the cart fill the lower range then allow internal BASIC to fill the upper range. That's one experiment I have never tried :)

I'm curious if the XL/XE computers even support the independent RUN and INIT vectors, $9FFA-$9FFB and $9FFE-$9FFF.

I think this is not the case because the MW2 bank of Larry's and my combo carts would initialize themselves upon boot.

- Steve Sheppard

• 1 month later...
Sorry to bump an old thread but I was recently sent one of these non-booting MW-II carts to check out. I dumped the rom image from it if you want to compare it with your versions:

http://www.atarimax.com/tmp/wrench.rom

Steve

Hi Steve-

Thanks, but it appears to be another Monkey Wrench II version. I still have found no version that works properly with XL/XE.

-Larry

• 2 weeks later...

Bump

Just received a "Monkey Wrench II for Atari XL" from another forum member Phantom, THANKS! :D

I was told it worked in an Atari 800, which I would expect used a Basic A, but don't know how.

I got it to work on my 800XL by typing the "X=USR(32768)" Thanks Larry! It will only work in XL not 800.

I have Monkey Wrench II 1983 with a blue sticker that I think said "800 only" and it says "Right Cartridge" that works in 800 and not the XL. But I must type the "X=USR(32768)" for it to work.

I have Monkey Wrench II 1981 not labeled "800 only" it just says "Right Cartridge" that works in 800 and not the XL. I don't need to type anything to bring up its Title except plug it in with a Basic cart and turn on the 800.

:D

Edited by Defender II

• 3 months later...
Bump

Just received a "Monkey Wrench II for Atari XL" from another forum member Phantom, THANKS! :D

I was told it worked in an Atari 800, which I would expect used a Basic A, but don't know how.

I got it to work on my 800XL by typing the "X=USR(32768)" Thanks Larry! It will only work in XL not 800.

I have Monkey Wrench II 1983 with a blue sticker that I think said "800 only" and it says "Right Cartridge" that works in 800 and not the XL. But I must type the "X=USR(32768)" for it to work.

I have Monkey Wrench II 1981 not labeled "800 only" it just says "Right Cartridge" that works in 800 and not the XL. I don't need to type anything to bring up its Title except plug it in with a Basic cart and turn on the 800.

:D

Defender II, do you still have that "Monkey Wrench II for Atari XL" image? I could certainly use it myself.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I was just reading this thread and thought maybe I could help out. I purchased Monkey Wrench ll after I saw it advertised in Antic Magazine. It really helped me programming Atari Basic (Rev. A) with my Atari 800. It added 18 new commands to Basic. Plus it had a machine language monitor witch I used frequently to hack into cassettes, disks, and 8K carts in the left slot. It would let you save the contents of Ram or Rom to a cassette, whitch was great because I couldn't afford a disk drive. A friend of mine let me borrow his Monkey Wrench ll-XL cart and I made a copy of it and later burned it and rev. C Basic to a cartridge.

This website has the manual for MW2: Click here!

The major differences between the MW2 and MW2-XL are the following:

1. MW2-XL works in the XL and XE Computers.

2. Initialization of MW2-XL = " X=USR(32768) " from Basic after computer is turned on.

3. They took out the memory test in MW2-XL version. ">T"

4. They added the following to the MW2-XL version:

A. DOS FUNTIONS

1. >>x -DISK DIRECTORY COMMAND

2. >>xP -DISK DIRECTORY TO PRINTER

3. >>Fx -FORMAT DISKETTE

4. >>U filename -UNLOCK FILE

5. >>L filename -LOCK FILE

6. >>D filename -DELETE FILE

7. >>R filename,filename -RENAME FILE

B. FUNCTION KEYS

1. control + 0 -SAVE "D

2. control + 9 -LOAD "D

3. control + 8 -RUN "D

4. control + 7 -LIST "D

5. control + 6 -ENTER "D

6. control + 5 -PRINT#6

C. HOME FUNCTIONS

1. control + H -Home Top

2. control + B -Home Bottom

3. control + L -Home Left

4. control + R -Home Right

I'm attaching 4 ROMS of Monkey Wrench. Some have already been posted. The "Monkey Wrench llXL & Rev C Basic ($8000-$BFFF).rom" is a Homebrew that I made years ago with Basic C and Monkey Wrench 2-XL. I modified it so you don't have to type in X=USR(32768) and it now says Monkey Wrench XL instead of Monkey Wrench ll. Yes, the xl ver. looked just like the 800 ver. on the screen. Monkey_Wrenches.zip

This is only my second post. Let me know if this is accurate or helpful.

PS. If anybody has a KISS rom made by Eastern House could you post it. I can't find that rom anywhere. Thanks for your time.

• Like 4

Hi,

I was just reading this thread and thought maybe I could help out. I purchased Monkey Wrench ll after I saw it advertised in Antic Magazine. It really helped me programming Atari Basic (Rev. A) with my Atari 800. It added 18 new commands to Basic. Plus it had a machine language monitor witch I used frequently to hack into cassettes, disks, and 8K carts in the left slot. It would let you save the contents of Ram or Rom to a cassette, whitch was great because I couldn't afford a disk drive. A friend of mine let me borrow his Monkey Wrench ll-XL cart and I made a copy of it and later burned it and rev. C Basic to a cartridge.

2. Initialization of MW2-XL = " X=USR(32768) " from Basic after computer is turned on.

A. DOS FUNTIONS

3. >>Fx -FORMAT DISKETTE

B. FUNCTION KEYS

1. control + 0 -SAVE "D

2. control + 9 -LOAD "D

3. control + 8 -RUN "D

4. control + 7 -LIST "D

5. control + 6 -ENTER "D

6. control + 5 -PRINT#6

C. HOME FUNCTIONS

1. control + H -Home Top

I'm attaching 4 ROMS of Monkey Wrench. Some have already been posted. The "Monkey Wrench llXL & Rev C Basic ($8000-$BFFF).rom" is a Homebrew that I made years ago with Basic C and Monkey Wrench 2-XL. I modified it so you don't have to type in X=USR(32768) and it now says Monkey Wrench XL instead of Monkey Wrench ll. Yes, the xl ver. looked just like the 800 ver. on the screen. Monkey_Wrenches.zip

PS. If anybody has a KISS rom made by Eastern House could you post it. I can't find that rom anywhere. Thanks for your time.

Thank you very much!

- Steve Sheppard

• 8 years later...

Hi,

A. DOS FUNTIONS

3. >>Fx -FORMAT DISKETTE

B. FUNCTION KEYS

1. control + 0 -SAVE "D

2. control + 9 -LOAD "D

3. control + 8 -RUN "D

4. control + 7 -LIST "D

5. control + 6 -ENTER "D

6. control + 5 -PRINT#6

C. HOME FUNCTIONS

1. control + H -Home Top

I'm attaching 4 ROMS of Monkey Wrench. Some have already been posted. The "Monkey Wrench llXL & Rev C Basic ($8000-$BFFF).rom" is a Homebrew that I made years ago with Basic C and Monkey Wrench 2-XL. I modified it so you don't have to type in X=USR(32768) and it now says Monkey Wrench XL instead of Monkey Wrench ll. Yes, the xl ver. looked just like the 800 ver. on the screen. attachicon.gifMonkey_Wrenches.zip

Hi FULS,

Do you have a manual for Monkey Wrench II XL, or did EH just provide an additional sheet for this version with differences?

Thanks,

MF

• Like 1

MrFish,

The Monkey Wrench 2 Manual and this insert were in the package.

The insert in the picture is a copy of the original. I do not know if the original insert was on a color sheet of paper.

Also below the picture is the insert scanned.

post-10849-0-87325300-1513515087.jpg

post-10849-0-78386500-1513515150_thumb.jpg

Hope this is useful and I love your website,

Doug

• Like 5

• 8 months later...

Here is a photo of an original Monkey Wrench 2 XL "Quick Reference Guide", selling on Ebay right now.

It looks as though it was printed on the back of an updated "The Monkey Wrench 2 User Guide".

The one I had was on an orange insert stuck in the manual.

Here is the link.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Monkey-Wrench-II-Atari-800-XL-XE-w-Users-Guides-Smart-Terminal/192658156534?hash=item2cdb522bf6:g:pJIAAOSwi~FbnD9m:sc:USPSPriority!45373!US!-1

post-10849-0-26708400-1537102813_thumb.jpg

• Like 3