IGNORED

Intellivision emulation

Foxsolo2000

Hi can anyone recommend a good Intellivision emulation that uses joypads instead of the keyboard. The only one I found that did was nostalgia but when I tried to add new games the title screen would load but not the game itself. I am currently using Bliss but the keyboard is a bit of a pain to play. Any recommendations? ;)

Are you sure Bliss does not support a USB controller? anyway, here are all the INTV emus I know of for PC:

http://www.zophar.net/ivision.html

I use the xbox1 to do most of my emulation these days and it's awesome, the INTV is especially nice and you can re-map the xbox controller to whatever button combo you like.

Hi can anyone recommend a good Intellivision emulation that uses joypads instead of the keyboard. The only one I found that did was nostalgia but when I tried to add new games the title screen would load but not the game itself. I am currently using Bliss but the keyboard is a bit of a pain to play. Any recommendations? ;)

If you don't mind not having a GUI, jzIntv will use anything that looks like a standard joystick. It also works with Joe Fisher's Classic Game Controller interface and Retrobox-adapted joysticks.

What if any Intellivision emulators support the full 16 direction controller via analog pc controllers? That was always my big complaint about Intellivision emulation. All the ones I tried in the past only emulated 8 way controllers, therefore some Intellivision games were unplayable and a lot play like crap....

From what I understand only 1 or 2 games used the entire 16 directions anyways. I forget which but I believe they mention it at the blue sky rangers website.

I find that rather hard to believe myself, having compared game play on various emulators to playing on an actual Intellivision. Now if they're saying only a couple of games NEED a 16 way controller (Vectron being 1 I know of off the top of my head), yes I know that's true. But I can't believe only 1 or 2 actually use the 16 way controller. I could be wrong but I don't believe that, just from my own experience....

What if any Intellivision emulators support the full 16 direction controller via analog pc controllers? That was always my big complaint about Intellivision emulation. All the ones I tried in the past only emulated 8 way controllers, therefore some Intellivision games were unplayable and a lot play like crap....

I can speak for jzIntv: If you use an analog joystick it will decode the analog X/Y into a proper 16-direction map. It also does fairly sophisticated autoranging and autozeroing. I'm rather proud of it, if you can't tell. :-) It's very configurable.

I don't know if any other emulators support analog.

From what I understand only 1 or 2 games used the entire 16 directions anyways. I forget which but I believe they mention it at the blue sky rangers website.

I find that rather hard to believe myself, having compared game play on various emulators to playing on an actual Intellivision. Now if they're saying only a couple of games NEED a 16 way controller (Vectron being 1 I know of off the top of my head), yes I know that's true. But I can't believe only 1 or 2 actually use the 16 way controller. I could be wrong but I don't believe that, just from my own experience....

There are a fair number of games that keep you on a grid (PacMan, Lock'n'Chase, Night Stalker, Checkers, etc.) and so only give you 4 directions to move in. But pretty much all the sports titles or anything that lets you move freely (eg. Utopia) rather than constraining you to a grid will make use of 16 direction input even if they don't *need* it.

I can speak for jzIntv: If you use an analog joystick it will decode the analog X/Y into a proper 16-direction map. It also does fairly sophisticated autoranging and autozeroing. I'm rather proud of it, if you can't tell. :-) It's very configurable.

I don't know if any other emulators support analog.

Thanks for the info, I'm going to give this a try tonight....

Thanks for the info intvnut. The xbox intellivision emu, I believe, supports 16 way control as well. I'll probably be working on it at some point just to fix a few bugs, plus I think Intellivoice does not work.. A shame none of the current INT emu's have save states.... or do they?

Thanks for the info intvnut. The xbox intellivision emu, I believe, supports 16 way control as well. I'll probably be working on it at some point just to fix a few bugs, plus I think Intellivoice does not work.. A shame none of the current INT emu's have save states.... or do they?

Which Xbox Intellivision emulator would this be? Since you say you'll be working on it to fix bugs, I assume you're not talking about the Intellivision Lives! release.

As for save states--I'm not sure. jzIntv doesn't, and this is probably the single biggest feature it's lacking. INTVPC (the DOS emulator on the original Intellivision Lives! CD) does support save/restore. Not sure about Nostalgia or Bliss.

Edited by intvnut

X-port ported Bliss over to the xbox sometime back. But the emulator has a few issues that prevents it from being as good as it could be..

Cool!

FWIW, jzIntv should port fairly easily also if there's an SDL port to Xbox. I don't own an Xbox, otherwise I would try myself.

Is there any Windows based frontend available for jzintv? I was going to give it a shot in my Mame cabinet, but it being command line only makes it difficult, if not impossible for me to try to use.

Arnauld Chevallier wrote a GUI front end for it once upon a time. Here's an excerpt from an email from him:

Joe,

Ok. It's back online.

Here's the GUI alone:

http://knox.ac.free.fr/~jz/gui.zip

(still no support for 'per rom' options, alas)

And here's the full setup:

http://knox.ac.free.fr/~jz/jzIntv1.0_setup.exe

It was build with the free version of CreateInstall:

http://www.createinstall.com/

The setup and its uninstall program work fine on my laptop, but have the bad habit to crash after completion on my desktop ... Dunno where the problem is. You may want to try that on several computers and/or look for another setup builder if you have a chance to.

Also, even without that GUI, you can set up "shortcuts" to jzIntv to launch individual games in jzIntv on the Windows desktop or in a folder. Just do "New Shortcut", and then right click and edit the properties to set up the flags for that game. Yes, that's one shortcut per game, but it does work.

Edited by intvnut