IGNORED

Seventy Eight Hundred

the.golden.ax

Hello...

Apparently this is where you need to post to talk shop about the 7800.

It appears no one frequents the programming area for 7800, or looks at the rarity guide section in regards to 7800.

What are your feelings on the Atariage rarity guide for 7800 these days? Personally I think it needs work.

I'm also very excited about programming for the 7800 but I'm not sure if I should start with 2600. Any ideas?

AX

Hello...

Apparently this is where you need to post to talk shop about the 7800.

It appears no one frequents the programming area for 7800, or looks at the rarity guide section in regards to 7800.

What are your feelings on the Atariage rarity guide for 7800 these days? Personally I think it needs work.

I'm also very excited about programming for the 7800 but I'm not sure if I should start with 2600. Any ideas?

AX

I'm no expert,but from what I've heard,If you can program for the 2600,you can program anything

Edited by Rik

I actually have not bought enough 7800 games to have an opinion, but I have bought quite a few 2600 games lately and I think that section needs updated, so I wouldn't be surprised if the 7800 section needs updated too. I think some of the "common" games are actually more scarce than the rarity guide would indicate, but that's okay because I can claim it's common and should be sold to me for less money. :D

I've never even tried to program the 2600 (doesn't interest me) but that didn't stop me from figuring out the 78. It's a different environment, no need to learn both unless you want to. Sure, the sound chip is the same, but that's hardly a reason to learn the whole 2600.

I do suggest that it's going to be pretty hard to make progress if you aren't already comfortable with assembly programming. The 7800 isn't the friendliest place to pick up that skill. But if you already know some assembly then 6502 is pretty easy to pick up and you should be fine.

If you don't know any assembly, then 6502 is still a good place to start (that chip is about as simple as it gets), but it would probably be easier to learn on a real computer.

It appears no one frequents the programming area for 7800

When it comes to programming, you'll find that it actually gets divided over a few forums: the 7800 programming forum, this forum, the hacks forum, the homebrew forum and the general programming forum. Not tons of activity, but it isn't always in one spot.

The 7800 isn't as well documented as some of the other systems (particularly 2600 or 8bit/5200) for programmers. Fewer tools, source code etc, though a lot of good stuff has been both created and released recently. It tends to come into waves.

Atariage has SOOOO much great content that my view is they'll get to it when they have time. I shudder to think what Albert's "to do" list looks like. I'm always in awe of how much work went into creating this place.

First, as others have noted, the 7800 is pretty different than the 2600. The system is often referred to as a "souped up" 2600, but tt's whole way of making graphics is pretty different from the 2600 or anything else really. So things you might learn on the 8bit/5200 or 2600 (which are actually more similar) wouldn't apply here.

If you want to get started, try making a few posts in the programming forums. They people who do frequent tend to respond quickly. And there are some "experts".

The only programming I've done on the 2600 is in batari BASIC, and I haven't had the time to seriously get into that. It is fun to mess around with though and is designed to be a gateway to learning assembly language. I haven't even looked into coding for the 7800, but I would love to see more homebrews since the cartridge library is so small.

From what I've read in various topics is that the entire AtariAge cartridge database is in need of an overhaul. This just seems like a massive undertaking that could take years to complete. On that note and slightly off topic, I wouldn't mind seeing 8-bit cartridges added to the DB. Eventually, I'd like to start an XEGS collection, but I have no interest in disk drives or a keyboard... just a console.

I would argue that 7800 programming, development, and discussion is at an all-time high.

In no particular order:

vwbobby's 7800 game - from scratch - in development

Beef Drop

Bon*Q

Plutos fixes,

Sirius fixes,

Pac-Man collection,

Asteroids deluxe

etc.

search away!

I would argue that 7800 programming, development, and discussion is at an all-time high.

And that's even counting the years the 7800 was officially supported. After the first year, there really wasn't as much interesting stuff in the works for the 7800 as there was this year. By the way, is Froggie still in the works?

And that's even counting the years the 7800 was officially supported. After the first year, there really wasn't as much interesting stuff in the works for the 7800 as there was this year. By the way, is Froggie still in the works?

Yeah, that's what I meant to say by "all-time". Thanks for making my point stronger and clearer, Atarifever :)

I didn't even mention the Cuttle Cart 2, which is the #1 catalyst for all this activity. The #2 catalyst (and rising fast with a bullet) is the production of CPUWIZ' new PCB's.

In no particular order:

Beef Drop

Bon*Q

Plutos fixes,

Sirius fixes,

Pac-Man collection,

Asteroids deluxe

etc.

search away!

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...;showentry=4694 :D

In no particular order:

Beef Drop

Bon*Q

Plutos fixes,

Sirius fixes,

Pac-Man collection,

Asteroids deluxe

etc.

search away!

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...;showentry=4694 :D

Ah, more progress on SI. Cool! :)

Mitch

There isn't too much work left to finish Froggie but I currently have to much private business :(