IGNORED

Galaga for 8-bits?

Nowadays many of us have 128/320/1024KB machines and/or flashable or SD/CF carts.

Therefore, if 64KB are not enough, a good solution would be to make an executable version for 128/320KB machines and/or a cart version for 64KB machines (128/320/1024KB cart, like Atari Blast!, Space Harrier, Bomb Jack...).

Not everyone would like to install a memory expansion, but a $40 multicart is a good investment to play many >64KB old an new cart games.

Me trying to get a cart done ;)

But the 320xe mem expansion was a dream for me. Simply plug n play, same with turbo freezer.

I am just inprocess if using all hardware I have at home and I did not used my flash carts... so thats at the moment on the list as they offer instant access and no loading.

Edited by Heaven/TQA
  • Like 3

instead of going the route of updating my Atarimax Rambo 256K to 512K with piggy-back dram, a lot of work, or getting a new internal upgrade, again a lot of work, I decided to just go with the easy 512K external memory upgrade that comes with the Syscheck 2 PBI board. Still RAMBO compatible and not Antic compatible XE memory though, like many upgrades still are. Of course I had to do the teeny-tiny and barely worth mentioning upgrade of adding a PBI port to my 1200XL first... :grin: But now I simply plug and play too!

Of course with one of my other 2 1200XL's I'll do it the hard way and install U1MB/VBXE/RAPIDUS internally. There's just no challenge to the PBI upgrade...too easy-peasy... :roll: :twisted:

post-149-0-28636100-1538303905_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2

Keeping the game to fit inside the 6502 base 64K area keeps the game playable to anyone with a real Atari machine. I have a 256K 800XL, and an 130XE here. But you have to think about who does not bother with the memory upgrades. The big question is what do you plan to use all that extra memory for anyway? I know there might be some graphics data, for the soft sprites shifted into 4 different bit positions. Depends on how many different shapes. But so far, it looks like all that with the programming logic, RMT music, and other data should still fit inside 64K RAM to play a decent game. The other consideration is doing a 5200 port where you will be limited to 32K + 16K RAM. I know there is a 5200 bank switching cartridge, but currently is not emulated, so developing and testing will be difficult.

The other option if extra memory is needed is bank switching cartridges. Everyone knows that I did some work with Deflate/Inflate to speed up the decompression rate. More than likely set it up for a Flash cartridge, AtariMax seems to be the standard. The 2 vendors most likely not get involved with a free project unless enough people (collectors) go to them willing and ready to pay for production. Maybe set up a crowd funded or pre-order project. I am not going to say much more.

I did look at the soft-sprite code and may try some ideas about using less CPU cycles to do that stuff. Another game that KJMANN approached me about was Space Fury. I was looking for a game that I can use the faster line drawing routine and digital sounds with. Also would had been too much for the multiplexer to handle.

• Like 1

The other option if extra memory is needed is bank switching cartridges. Everyone knows that I did some work with Deflate/Inflate to speed up the decompression rate. More than likely set it up for a Flash cartridge, AtariMax seems to be the standard. The 2 vendors most likely not get involved with a free project unless enough people (collectors) go to them willing and ready to pay for production. Maybe set up a crowd funded or pre-order project. I am not going to say much more.

No need to involve vendors unless the game would be commercial.

Nowadays for $30-$90 you can buy many programmable carts or drag & drop SD/CF multicarts: AtariMax Maxflash, AtariMax MyIDE II, AVGCart, The Cart!, SIC! Cart, Side 2, Ultimate SD, UNO cart (I hope I haven't forgotten other available carts).

Hundreds have been sold because with them you can play many old and new > 64KB CAR games (and you can quickly load other CAR and XEX games using nice menus or search functions).

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

2018-05-15 : AtariTools-800 :Adding 2 features in Char-Editor part.was the last work I saw from RD...

the tools are not available for download at the moment. I am not sure if this is all because of windows migrations to 10 etc... as most of his work appeared to be in the XP environment. Some really nice things were being done, but we haven't heard back on the AA forums in a while. Perhaps a show of support and some emails might be a way to shoe our interest?

wow a8 Phoenix looks awesome. It was literally ny first game I played at arcade (second was Time Pilot).

It's strange that you listed those two together. They weren't the first arcade games I played (first were Asteroids, Centipede and Berzerk in 1981), but I vividly recall in early 1984 going on a long trip and visiting an arcade - and at that arcade I played Phoenix, then Time Pilot. They were the only two I played at that arcade and I've always had them linked together in my mind.

Cant wait!

I think we'll still be waiting. I recall saying "I can't wait" when checking that website years ago. Nothing seems to have changed.

Edited by Mr.Amiga500
  • Like 1

I don't recall Phoenix being all that special back in the day - it stood out because there was not much else like it around at that time.

It certainly could have been converted already - because it is within the hardware capabilities of this system.

Programmers who take on conversions - are not only talented people - but they also tend to busy with other 'stuff'....

Certain projects will be finished - when time is available for it to happen...

Meantime - the rest of us - will just be kept waiting ... waiting...

Harvey

• Like 1

It looks good but that page has been around for a long time with no change.

IMO the next most desirable vertical space shooter of the early 80s would be Exerion. Technically it's about equal with Galaga and also pretty good gameplay though it can be annoyingly hard (disregarding other good shooters like Tiger Heli, Flying Shark etc which were more towards mid/late 80s).

• Like 2

Argh, that's like an arrow to the heart, been missing a good old Phoenix on the 8bit, sure I've got it and a million other oldies on Mame but I do love it when its on one of my fave old computers......Used to Phoenix on the cabinet in the fish and chip shop as a younger person, made a change from Asteroids, Galaxians and Scramble in the local mini arcade..

Argh, that's like an arrow to the heart, been missing a good old Phoenix on the 8bit, sure I've got it and a million other oldies on Mame but I do love it when its on one of my fave old computers......

If there were renewed interest shown perhaps he'd make time, or let others have at it.

His AtariTools-800 have been receiving regular updates over the years.

I'd guess that he's focusing work on the tools first in order to put them to use on the projects.

Edited by MrFish

• 2 weeks later...

The same guy tried to make Galaga himself: http://ataritools.fr.gd:80/2-_-GALAGA-PROJECT.htm

Will try to.

Here's (possible) explanation for you:

His AtariTools-800 have been receiving regular updates over the years.

I'd guess that he's focusing work on the tools first in order to put them to use on the projects.

Sigh...

• 1 year later...