IGNORED

Galaga for 8-bits?

• 2 months later...
On 2/2/2020 at 3:12 PM, SenorRossie said:

With regards to the 1200XL upgrade, or downgrade if Apple is not your thing, we came across an apple IIc clone in a casing that looks quite similar to that of the 1200XL:

38465796582_228fed89f2_k.jpg

More info https://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=1161

That's the old TK2000 by Microdigital, manufactured and sold in Brazil only, during the 80's! Apple II semi-compatible.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

There is knowledge to be gained by seeing how it's done on other platforms, be it successful or failure... you get insight as to what to do or not to do... just because it didn't work on some other target doesn't always mean it won't work on what your current target it is. The machine you snag the idea from might have been weak in that area while your current target is stronger in that area making things work nicely and vice versa.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stefan Both said:

C64 Galaga 2021:

https://arlagames.itch.io/galaga-c64

Atari 800xl

There was a guy who claimed, he wrote a galaga clone.

However, the link is dead.

https://www.forum64.de/index.php?thread/55285-pet-c64-galaga-für-den-atari-800xl/

Greets

Stefan 

Should be this: https://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=6941

- Y -

I downloaded and played Galaga on the C64 for a bit. It's actually not a bad port, especially considering the difficulties faced porting an arcade game that ran three Z80 CPU's and ran 64 sprites.

I was never really great at Galaga, but it kept me entertained for a bit. I think the surprising complexity of the arcade game itself is the reason porting to the A8 was never finished, people start with great intentions but loose motivation when hurdles become difficult to overcome resulting in compromises that make the game not so faithful too the original.

You have to tip your hat to anyone willing to tackle such a project, no matter what the platform.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Some games shouldn't be ported to some platforms. Can you imagine how sucky Gyruss would be on the Apple II?

Well in that case Galaga shouldn't be ported to any 8bit computer as there's always going to be compromises. If you want the real experience, as you stated, it's probably best to use Mame.

20 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Can you imagine how sucky Gyruss would be on the Apple II?

Can you imagine Galaga for Apple II, but finally putting to good use the Synetix SuperSprite board? 8-)

I would take a brave soul, for sure... but possible... We would still have to solve the sound part, which is a big question (and, btw, pretty well rendered on the C64 version, in all fairness...)

(Galaga is one of my all-time arcade favs.)

8 minutes ago, Mazzspeed said:

Well in that case Galaga shouldn't be ported to any 8bit computer as there's always going to be compromises. If you want the real experience, as you stated, it's probably best to use Mame.

Well sure. Yes. The grey area being how much can be lost or changed up and still give a good experience. Mechanics. Sound & graphics. Speed and playability. All factors.

IMHO the C64 version has a lousy palette. And I don't like it.

Many VCS games give up a lot in graphics, and sometimes sound. But the playability is outstanding and fast and smooth.

12 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

Can you imagine Galaga for Apple II, but finally putting to good use the Synetix SuperSprite board? 8-)

I would take a brave soul, for sure... but possible... We would still have to solve the sound part, which is a big question (and, btw, pretty well rendered on the C64 version, in all fairness...)

Yes the sound is alright.

I don't know about the SuperSprite boards or the ArcadeBoard - similar or same things. They were underutilized and never made inroads. Likely the cost and the classical issue of no software no adoption, no adoption no software.

Today it would be nice to see stuff on those. On the other hand, they mess with the nostalgia equation in that those aren't the graphics we remembered. Might as well just go to MAME. I suppose.

Been wondering on a side note. I'd like to see MAME more recognized as its own platform/console. Anyone can buy one for under $700. And a premium one at that! Can you imagine time traveling back to the 1986 and giving such a console to some shitfaced kid? He'd never leave mom's basement. Ever!

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Can you imagine time traveling back to the 1986 and giving such a console to some shitfaced kid?

??

Just can't image the weekends on that basement-dungeon, with that thing down there... 

They beauty of Mame not only revolves around re-enacting an old arcade cabinet+video, faithfully... but letting arcade re-incarnate (as a whole) on the living room, with much larger screens, powerful sound systems, and like-minded cohorts around to scream while playing Pacman, Galaga 88, Outrun, and many others ... Kind of a new "old" experience, indeed...

Definitely nothing llike Mame, for sure.... but I still wonder how far the A8 can be pushed and how close it can come to deliver that fluid, addictive, action-packed experience that makes Galaga so special....

1 hour ago, Keatah said:

Some games shouldn't be ported to some platforms. Can you imagine how sucky Gyruss would be on the Apple II?

Same can be said for ANY game on the Apple II.  No hardware sprites, no hardware scrolling, sucky 1-bit audio, etc.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Keatah said:

Well sure. Yes. The grey area being how much can be lost or changed up and still give a good experience. Mechanics. Sound & graphics. Speed and playability. All factors.

IMHO the C64 version has a lousy palette. And I don't like it.

Many VCS games give up a lot in graphics, and sometimes sound. But the playability is outstanding and fast and smooth.

Meh, it looks fine to me, speed and playability all seem fine - Each to their own. Back in the day I used to play games on 8 bit machines with green or amber phosphor monochrome displays and didn't find the lack of color detracted from the experience at all.

Edited by Mazzspeed

11 hours ago, Stephen said:

Same can be said for ANY game on the Apple II. 

The Apple II's image and positioning was highly guarded, and never meant to end up being a dumb-ass kiddie computer:

843A7093-0104-49C4-93A0-8E810BD20D99.thumb.jpeg.1c0577f11a90d3c154ccc8415c275f21.jpeg ADB3B389-6EFB-49A6-8988-2F85BF2BFD68.thumb.jpeg.47c7604b56eca8f95da959bf467922a8.jpeg

A561EEA9-3E1F-4D51-BA79-51B6EE743A76.thumb.jpeg.08adbffcca82bc9f9d8dd662b18e15b0.jpeg C56E9A10-85E4-4CF6-98B0-EC57FFD68525.thumb.jpeg.b127bad75cdcc7054df86e51992a093b.jpeg

But if games like GALAGA would have been a real market / sales priority for Apple, we would have seen it, and (most likely) pretty well executed.

• Like 1