IGNORED

Galaga for 8-bits?

There's always something magical about the Galaga coin-op game. For me, it was always the stand out game of the early 80s' - that had more playability and fun than any of the others.

While it would be nice to see it's appearance for the A8 hardware - finally.

If it does prove to be too hard to get it in it's original appearance - with it's proper animation working ....

I'd think there's always the other way of doing it - being inspired by the original game - but doing it most effectively within the A8 hardware limits - that does not look like the original - but capturing it's gameplay and fun, instead. Using as much animation as possible.

Harvey

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

I am not sure what progress was made with this project. I had my own alternate solutions to get around the onscreen color issue.

One is to use Antic 4 instead of Antic 14 mode screen to so the 5th color can be used. But each enemy ship will loose the fine movement. Limited to 127 characters to handle the soft sprites. It will be faster and take less memory than trying to manipulate a bit mapped screen.

Two is to use Super-IRG like effects that flicker between two colors for a third.

Three instead of COLBAK being black, make COLPF0 black, and COLBAK either blue, cyan, or red, Set the PRIOR so the 4 player/missile graphics are behind. Place the player behind where you need to change the foreground color that is using COLBAK.

There are other tricks like setting PRIOR to 0 so players.missile graphics "OR" with play field graphics for more colors.

Has anyone considered a VBXE version of this?

there is a Galaga clone for the 8bit and it's not bad at all (except the sound is irritating so turn it down). It's called Hyperblast, I attached the rom and a screenshot.

Do we know who made this Hyperblast and is he still active here on AtariAge? Maybe if we got the source code and updated the game to make it into something better would be a good start.

How does the VBXE (or a RAM expansion, or COVOX, or ANY other upgrade) make it "Not a Real Atari?

Your line of thinking is flawed. Your type of mentality would hold us back to 70's or 80's tech. Ataris were always upgraded from the very beginning with GTIA chips to replace the original CTIA.

Oh, is my Atari not 'Real' because it originally came with a CTIA, and I replaced it with a GTIA?

If it looks like an Atari, acts like an Atari, Runs all Atari stuff, It's an Atari. Only the haters out there, and YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE (As do we) :) keep bringing up this hateful anti-upgrade stuff.

Shove it up your ass and get over it. Upgrades are here to stay. If you don't like them, then write for Commies. Oh, wait... You can't, because it's not a REAL Commie if it has an upgrade, now is it?

• Like 1

How does the VBXE (or a RAM expansion, or COVOX, or ANY other upgrade) make it "Not a Real Atari?

Shove it up your ass and get over it. Upgrades are here to stay. If you don't like them, then write for Commies. Oh, wait... You can't, because it's not a REAL Commie if it has an upgrade, now is it?

How does a "Commie" make it "Not Atari" .

... just according to your logics...

Well, its because a good challenge is sometimes worth it. VBXE has an 80 column resolution, but to be fair, many of the other games for even the VIC 20 dont have special graphical capability expansions, maybe just more ram, but thats besides the matter. In fact, the VIC chip was even designed in 1977! If even the VIC 20 were designed around the same time frame, why should we give the Atari a leading edge from its stock hardware, and even its competition? Also, cool your jets; Im not going to force you to use un upgraded hardware. Do whatever you want, my opinion is my opinion...

Edited by EnderDude

oh noes emkay is here, now this is impossible too! :)

How about reading Atari Books and to learn coding on the Atari? Just writing silly sentences doesn't help much.

As it seems, you don't even have the slightest Clou how the Atari is doing things. That's why explanations don't help to make you things to understand.

There is no technical barrier to solve the game for the Atari.

How does a "Commie" make it "Not Atari" .

... just according to your logics...

how does this statement further anything at all emkay, most of what you so never makes sense to most of us. and then you go to make personal attacks. You are just an adversarial person. You never help, you only hurt. You turn off so many people. I want to keep things positive and helpful. You always fight, say it's impossible for Atari... except of course the emkay way... which we never see. You don't help. You don't provide the fix. You don't discuss. You want everything done in your only favorite mode. But again, nothing.

As it is I can only respect your work on pokey and music, nothing else. You are a detractor in all other areas. stop attacking everybody and start helping. I can't help but call you impossible emkay. I have put plenty out there and have helped plenty, I have inspired and tested. This has been my way since 1980's. Hardware before that. If you make pretend you don't know this, well that's one more impossible to imagine thing emkay.

Please don't ruin another thread... please, pleeeeeeease.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

Please don't ruin another thread... please, pleeeeeeease.

You did already.

It's the paradox postings by Kyle22.

He wants things to run on real Ataris , but then he forces not to use real Ataris , and to use all those weird expansions.

You really should start reading before you write something.

Edited by emkay

No emkay, he wants it to run on all of the Ataris including expansions, he isn't limiting to one piece of hardware, he wants to allow for a version for each so everybody wins... you need to look at the big complete picture. Stop parsing things so myopically. Looking for that one thing to take out of context. We know from all of Kyles posts that he wants it to work on All Atari 8 bits. If it can be done all in one, Super! If it can't provide a provision to do so. He has patched a few things himself to avoid and opcode here or there, and since the other processor is faster, it works at the same speed or faster.

This is no different than any other thing done in recent years, a 48 version, a 52k version, -more common today- a 64K and another 128K version. Same goes for pokeys, if there is room for the data we get one version for standard and gumby. If there isn't enough room we get a separate stereo version on expanded machines. Same thing can be for U1M users. Let's not forget changing things to run out of large cartridges to run on smaller machines. See emkay, all different and yet the same, for the most part. Everybody wins... these varied forms are often made to happen by others because they own said device. Look at all of the changes people made to run stuff on the MyIDE II... Big picture.

In this case a VBXE version until the normal 8 bit version is made wouldn't hurt anybody.... why not?

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

No emkay, he wants it to run on all of the Ataris including expansions, he isn't limiting to one piece of hardware, he wants to allow for a version for each so everybody wins... you need to look at the big complete picture. Stop parsing things so myopically. Looking for that one thing to take out of context. We know from all of Kyles posts that he wants it to work on All Atari 8 bits. If it can be done all in one, Super! If it can't provide a provision to do so. He has patched a few things himself to avoid and opcode here or there, and since the other processor is faster, it works at the same speed or faster.

This is no different than any other thing done in recent years, a 48 version, a 52k version, -more common today- a 64K and another 128K version. Same goes for pokeys, if there is room for the data we get one version for standard and gumby. If there isn't enough room we get a separate stereo version on expanded machines. Same thing can be for U1M users. Let's not forget changing things to run out of large cartridges to run on smaller machines. See emkay, all different and yet the same, for the most part. Everybody wins... these varied forms are often made to happen by others because they own said device. Look at all of the changes people made to run stuff on the MyIDE II... Big picture.

In this case a VBXE version until the normal 8 bit version is made wouldn't hurt anybody.... why not?

[howling Wulf]

No comment.

[/howling Wulf]

;)