IGNORED

Planet Bob - Demon's Crest

RSS Bot

Hi there!

Long time and next to no entry here! I've been on a total weirdo rampage mission the past two months, since I decided to play at least 5 stages of every single game Capcom ever made :-o

Of course, there's been a few exceptions both ways, so I didn't play Mega Man 5-8 for example after not liking 1-4 and I didn't play all the zillions of Street Fighter 2 variants. On the other hand did I play easier games and those I really liked a lot more, as you can tell from all my recent posts in this thread.

Anway, I'm done with Capcoms first decade and to my surprise, despite their 30+ titles on the NES, were my Capcom favourites so far all on the SNES. In particular there's two major series I love, that is Breath of Fire and Ghosts'n'Goblins.

Coming closer to the point of this entry now. I think many of you know that there's a spin-off series of games in the G'n'G series, that let you play the other party. You're assuming the role of one of the red Gargoyles, called "Firebrand". The first two of those, Gargoyle's Quest for the Game Boy and Gargoyle's Quest II for the NES (You might want to correct that in the two G'n'G threads of the NES HSC, Bob! ;)) are respectable offerings.

I don't know why until two days ago I never managed to play the third one though, Demon's Crest:

demonscrest.gif

What can I say, it absolutely blew me away. It's one of those very rare gems that make you breakdown and cry, thanking god for the existence of video games. Near perfect playability, near perfect controls, near perfect level design, breathtaking boss battles, excellent visuals and a good, atmosphere building soundtrack.

It's so cool to play a monster. How many games let you play such an awesome creature:

demonscrest2.gif

The game has 7 big levels which are composed out of 3 or more sub-parts. They're spread out on a world map and you can freely select where to go next. One level starts with a town, where you can buy spells and potions. Yes, that's right, this game has even RPG elements! While your playing, Firebrand gets stronger all the time, picking up new skills and weapons along the way. Even though I usually hate things like that, this time I enjoyed going back to previous levels, looking for new pathways and exits that open after getting a new skill. Simply because "just" playing the game is so much fun.

A real shame that this game is such an underrated underdog. Probably came a bit too late to market in the SNES shelf life, else it would sit right there with Super Ghouls'n'Ghosts in peoples memories ;)

Greetings,

Manuel

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...;showentry=4900