IGNORED

Nintendo Black Label Titles!

Hi guys:

In my years of playing Nintendo games, I always add a soft-spot for the Nintendo NES "Black Label Title Era" games that were developed from 1985-1987. Unfortunately, only a small selection of the games continued on to be multimillion dollar franchises & the rest become long forgotten except for the old school gamers. Here is my opinion on what the future holds for them.

10-Yard Fight: Nintendo will probably have this game on the Virtual Console. Nintendo with a deal with Iremcorp only made sure that this was a launch title. Nintendo will never have this game back anytime soon. Too bad, I enjoyed this sport title.

Baseball: Good game. I believed it was a good leap over Intellivisions Baseball. Good, fun game that can last you for hours. Sadly, Nintendo made sure that Baseball wasn't going nowhere after its release. Thankfully, Nintendo re-introduced it on the VC for old & new players to remember Nintendo's early history in the U.S..

Balloon Fight: Thanks to the help of Super Smash Bros. Melee, Balloon Fight has a steady following once more. Balloon Fight had potential in the U.S. & Japan, it had a nice loyal fan base, and its overall sales were adequate. Nintendo was interested on making a Balloon Fight 2, yet other upcoming titles were on the works, and eventually it was scraped. Thanks to melee, there is a good chance once more for a true new title.

Clu Clu Land: Interesting title. Nintendo did made a sequel for the Famicom Disk System. But it was made as a late entry Disc title. The Nintendo E-Reader help give its fame once more, yet Nintendo made sure it didn't go any further. Maybe because it was a tricky game to play to begin with.

Donkey Kong: This NES title port is loved by many.

Donkey Kong Jr: Ditto.

Donkey Kong 3: This NES port has a small following. Nintendo talks about it once in a while.

Donkey Kong Jr. Math: Oh, you'll never see this black label game again. Sales stunk, & even though it was a cute educational series game. Nintendo made sure it was the last for DK & DK Jr.

Duck Hunt: Talk about countless times. A title maybe in the works,

Excitebike: Talk about alot. Even had a N64 title & on the VC.

Golf: A boring & annoying title. Nintendo made sure its on the VC. That's it.

Gumshoe: A long forgotten game that only the old school players remember. Was a good zapper title & had potential. But it didn't.

Gyromite: Long time ROB fans will remember this game. Nintendo has pretty much buried its characters and heroes Prof. Hector & Vector. Not going to be a VC title. Yet thanks to Super Smash Bros. Brawl, the ROB has received interest once more. Most likely will appear in its history books once more.

Hogan's Alley: Great game!! One of the best zapper titles in general. Nintendo had plans to make a sequel, but it never happened.

Ice Climber: Good title. Thanks to Smash Bros. Melee & Brawl. Its been on the minds of gamers since. No word on a upcoming title yet.

Kung-Fu: Nice brawling game. Loved by many even the arcades. But for some reason, Irem Corp didn't want to make another Kung-fu title.

Mach Rider: OH MY GOODNESS!! Way did Nintendo let Mach Rider slipped right through them?. It could have made millions & with the SNES mode 7, it would have been killer!!

Mario Bros: N.I.N.! We all loved this title & on the GBA Mario titles repeatedly.

Pinball: Nice title, but pretty boring. I kinda understand way Nintendo didn't made a sequel.

Pro Wrestling: Us wrestling fans love this game. Starman anyone. This game was really successful in Japan. I believe they did made another title out there.

Popeye: Survived!! Made a few titles for Game Boy, & GBA.

Slalom: I like this title. Its the only skiing game I enjoy. Nintendo will never bring this game back & now that Microsoft acquired Rare, they'll definitely make sure this title never comes up again.

Soccer: VC Only. Nintendo won't do this again except The Mario Strikers franchise.

Stack-Up: Just like Gyromite. Has a chance thanks to Brawl.

Super Mario Bros: (^_^)

Tennis: VC Title. Tennis comes up once in a while. But only in the history section. Mario Tennis took it over.

Urban Champion: On the VC & E-Reader. Enjoyed my old school fans and in Nintendo of America. Nintendo loves its comical style fighting. A upcoming title was in the works for the GBA, unfortunately it was scraped

Volleyball: VC title only. Hardly gets talked about at all.

Wild Gunman: Great title. Was featured in Back to the Future 2 in the Cafe 80's, & Nintendo World is introducing the game on their current line of classic t-shirts. Good chance of a possible comeback likely.

Wrecking Crew: Nah.....Nintendo made a good game here & it had good interest with fans. But won't have another Wrecking Crew title again.

Anthony....

Edited by fdurso224

pro wrestling

kung fu

wild gunman

10 yard fight

excitebike

super mario bros

those are some of the black box nes games i still have and play today.i love that early era of nes gaming.i look thru the offical nintendo players guide and see a lot of the the great early 1st & 3rd party nes games.i love that book.i feel that book pretty much repersents that early era of nes games.great stuff.

Edited by wccw mark

1) According to Wikipedia, Kung-Fu did have a sequel in Japan.

2) Pinball was cute, I agree, but it was boring. I never quite understood why you'd bother making a pinball video game. It's like taking a video game and making a board game out of it-- you lose everything that makes it special. Still, I played the hell out of that on e-reader.

3) Wasn't Excite Truck for the Wii supposed to be a sequel to EB and EB64?

Aside: Besides the black-label games, which NES games were released unclipped? By unclipped, I mean the cart held together with five screws in the back (instead of three) and no plastic clips on the end-label side? I know Legend of Kage has this distinction... any others?

I have to agree -- I love the early Nintendo games -- so simple yet hard to master. I especially love the box art from that period. In fact, this thread is quite inspiring -- think I might have to start collecting games from that era CIB.

Amen to that brother!!

Anthony....

Am mixed on all the early NES "black label" games as some i love and some i hate and some i just never played.

Of all the "black label" my favorites were......

Pro Wrestling

Donkey Kong

Donkey Kong Jr.

Excite Bike

Wild Gunman

Duck Hunt

Hogan's Alley

Super Mario Bros.

Most of the early titles are hit and miss, my faves are:

Clu Clu Land

Excitebike

Golf - This is the only Golf game I ever liked. No idea why...

Ice Climber

Kung-Fu

Super Mario Bros

Wrecking Crew

And then there are some that I'm so-so about. It depends on what kind of mood I'm in:

Gyromite

Balloon Fight

Gumshoe

Donkey Kong 3

Pinball

Wild Gunman

Tempest

10-Yard Fight:

Never played it or owned it. Wasn't into football videogames, arcade-like or otherwise.

Baseball:

Same thing as previous title mentioned.

Balloon Fight:

Only tried it out on emulation. An interesting take on Joust.

Clu Clu Land:

Never played it or owned it.

Donkey Kong:

Only had it as part of Donkey Kong Classics. All it lacks is the pie factory screen.

Donkey Kong Jr:

Only had it as part of Donkey Kong Classics. Close to arcade perfection.

Donkey Kong 3:

Only tried it out on emulation. Not a bad game, though an interesting departure from DK and DKJr.

Donkey Kong Jr. Math:

Never owned or played it, and certainly wouldn't want to.

Duck Hunt:

Had it as part of a Super Mario Bros combo pack-in game. Fun for a while, but not something I'd want to play multiple times.

Excitebike:

Tried it once. Didn't enjoy it.

Golf:

Tried it once. Found a Sega Master System golf game that was much better in control than this one.

Gumshoe:

Never owned or played this game.

Gyromite:

Hogan's Alley:

Ice Climber:

Kung-Fu:

Owned it at one time. Found the 2600 version to be more enjoyable (Kung-Fu Master).

Mach Rider:

Only tried it in emulation. Interesting, though I prefer Hang-On.

Mario Bros:

Owned this one. One of my favorite games.

Pinball:

Currently own this one. Not bad, though HAL Laboratory's Revenge Of The Gator pinball game for the Nintendo Gameboy was much better.

Pro Wrestling:

Probably owned this one one time but never really played it. Wasn't much into wrestling.

Popeye:

Owned it at one time. One game I will play from time to time.

Slalom:

Probably owned this one one time. Interesting skiing game. Tommy Moe's Extreme Skiing & Snowboarding for the SNES seems to have been inspired by this game.

Soccer:

Stack-Up:

Super Mario Bros:

Owned this as part of a combo pack-in game. Not something I play much of nowadays, but I still think it's fun.

Tennis:

Urban Champion:

Volleyball:

Wild Gunman:

Wrecking Crew:

Hi guys:

Mach Rider certainly had potential. Unfortunately it didn't go pass the "Black Label" era. However, there's been talk from gamers that Mach Rider is Capt Falcon from F-Zero!! He's considered to be like a inspiring spinoff.

Anthony....