IGNORED

New At games Genesis/megadrive!

Hmmm... I already have 2 Genesis systems and a decent amount of games, so do I really need this? It would be nice if it had a screen built in, but I'm guessing that would make it mighty pricey. If only they could make a more affordable Nomad.

I've looked all over for the supposed RedKid cartridge, and also found no information on them. Hopefully they will become more prevalent (or existent) when this system gets released.

Hmmm... I already have 2 Genesis systems and a decent amount of games, so do I really need this? It would be nice if it had a screen built in, but I'm guessing that would make it mighty pricey. If only they could make a more affordable Nomad.

TwinChargers, if you're looking for a portable Genesis type of product with the same games as the 20 in this product, why don't you look at the AtGames Portable Mega Drive which was mentioned in Wickeycolumbus' New portable Megadrive! thread as well as somewhere deep in the New Coleco handheld with Sega games on it, other games thread (I mentioned it there, before Wickeycolumbus' thread, and no one seemed to care . . . yes, I'm still miffed about that).

Really, though, this is the most interesting new plug-and-play (we'll ignore the cartridge slot for now) product so far this year. I actually went and put up a new version of my pnpgames.<datestamp>.txt file at my Comprehensive Plug-and-Play Listing thread just because of this. Normally, I update that thread with a new file attachment every 3 months, but I waited for 4 months this time because so few products had been released since the last file. Seriously, there have been only 5 or so new products this year thus far. This one is the most interesting one by a long shot!

onmode-ky

If you read the whole description it says it does support genny\megadive carts.

Wow, I read the hole thing, and did not see that. Either I am retarded, or it is a updated description :ponder: Thanks for pointing that out.

Yah, they changed it, didn't say that before. They must have been contacted by people (maybe even from here) and added that in response.

If you read the whole description it says it does support genny\megadive carts.

Wow, I read the hole thing, and did not see that. Either I am retarded, or it is a updated description :ponder: Thanks for pointing that out.

Yah, they changed it, didn't say that before. They must have been contacted by people (maybe even from here) and added that in response.

Thanks for telling me that, I thought that I was going crazy.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the green one.

The TV console includes exactly the same built-in games as the portable version, for the same price. Since you can buy an original Genesis for next to nothing, and anyone with a bunch of cartridges probably already has at least one machine already, I would go for the portable machine, or a PSP with the Genesis collection (better games IMHO), or a hacked machine that can play ROMs.

Or this! http://openpandora.org

I wish the machine would open up for good and run games straight from a flash card. Stuff like this really shouldn't be needed in 2008.

this actually looks pretty slick. I just wish it had some visible advantage over the genesis 3 units that thend to go for $5 at thrift shops. Unlike the NES units, I haven't seen many weaknesses in the genesis design--they're all freaking tanks!

For advantages to this clone, aside from being pretty and new, all I can think of is that it probably has standard composite plugs in the back... Does it at least do s-video? I guess somebody will find out in july.

I believe the genesis 3 did both megadrive and genesis games, right? For some reason I've had little motivation to play megadrive titles...

Now if they wanted to impress me, it'd probably be *REALLY* easy to build a genesis/megadrive and mastersystem/gamegear combo. That I'd buy. So fast it'd make their heads spin...

Naturally freaks like me would pay a lot more if it did 32x/cd too, but that's much harder to do and more expensive than getting mastersystem working.

Edited by Reaperman

We should try and get this stuff wholesale. If enough people want them I have several connections. I don't have pricing yet, but I don't care about making money on it, if I end up with one at a better price.

AX

I've been looking around, but can't find many people who will sell them in less than a pallette's worth of them. When I do find someone, I'll carry them.

I have a line on a possible portable candidate. I'm in touch with a manufacturer, waiting a response.

I've been looking at a lot of those handheld mp4 devices lately, but they always seem to be *SO* expensive, have such terrible looking controls, and I'm guessing they're relying on software emulation.

I'm pretty much just making semi-educated guesses about their quality though, since the price has kept me away. Let us know if they're any good. I hear one of those mp4 players is advertising neo-geo emulation... Of course if I were interested in software emulation my gp2x wouldn't have so much dust on it.

Edited by Reaperman

• 2 weeks later...
Of course if I were interested in software emulation my gp2x wouldn't have so much dust on it.

Does the gp2x have an OS of its very own? With its capabilities, I would think it needs its own, and not just as a movie player, etc. The one big turn off I have about it (and it's not that big, I can deal) is there is no keyboard. A folding, clip-on deal would be great, if one were available.

It's slow going with the ordering. Lots of paperwork, faxing, dropped faxes :( and more paperwork. It's all good though. Working on it.

Nathan

ordering an mp4 player looks to be a real pain. Is there some special way you're doing it? let us know how it turns out. My hands tend to be able to distinguish between hardware and software emulation though, so I may steer clear even if these are 'off the chain.'

comparing it to the gp2x though, I think the mp4 players *may* be better on a lot of levels. Mainly the user experience. There's no readme's to wade through, games just work. And the interfaces probably have the same look and feel as one moves through menus/modes. Also it probably boots faster, plays media better, and doesn't require constant firmware update. (a lot of assumptions in those previous statements).

Edited by Reaperman

I was looking through the handhelds on ebay and came across this description :

Built in 30 different popular games, compatible on every children.

This is good to know, because when you get a child that's incompatible you're really asking for trouble.

Also, other than the obvious ones, has anyone ever heard of these games, like Backyard Hoodle, or BigFive??

Black Jack,? Slot machine, Roulette, F1 Racing, GT Racing, Rally Racing, Bowling, Crazy Moto, Diamond, Backyard Hoodle, Street boy, Q-Toon, Fun Match, North-Plot, Sub Explore, Battle Fighter, Mov-Box, Big fish, 100 Floor,? Cross River, PotPit, PickPic, Piggy’s adventure, Annihilation Action, Joe Ma, Jewel Box, B.P, Sub War, Smart Match, BigFive

About the ordering of things, I'm having to order them wholesale and in bulk, spreading out the expense over time (read: loan). And nothing has arrived yet anyway.

Nathan

link

Edited by nathanallan

• 3 weeks later...

They're coming out with expansion carts for it:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-16j-49-en-70-2wir.html

Virtua Fighter 2

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-16j-49-en-70-2wit.html

Vectorman + Vectorman 2 + Columns + Eternal Champions + Bonanza Bros. + Comix Zone + Ecco II: The Tides of Time + Ristar + Phantasy Star III

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-16j-49-en-70-2wis.html

Golden Axe III + Puyo Puyo + Sonic 3D Blast + The Ooze + Chakan: The Forever Man + Fatal Labyrinth

When these come out, someone needs to let us know if they work in a real Genesis...I'd really love to have a lot of those games (not to mention, a lot of them go for pretty high prices, even loose), and Vectorman's the only one I already have =)

I know the consoles themselves support multi-regions, but I wonder (supposing these do work in a real Genesis) if Golden Axe III would work on an NTSC US unit.

Maybe I'll just have to mod my Genny ¬_¬

Edited by Asaki

Found this at AtGames's website:

"SEGA has also granted AtGames the exclusive right to sell SEGA software products for SEGA’s proprietary platforms (e.g., SEGA Master System, SEGA Game Gear, SEGA Genesis (MegaDrive) System, SEGA Saturn System, SEGA 32X, SEGA CD and SEGA Dreamcast System) bundled together with an emulator for these SEGA proprietary platforms to original equipment manufacturers, chip makers and other product manufacturers in Greater China. In turn, these original equipment manufacturers, chip makers and other product manufacturers will incorporate these bundles into products for sale throughout the world."

Bundled with an emulator?

They could've worded that to be a bit less confusing, but I'm still kind of picking up vibes that this new software will be backwards compatible =)

Also, "AtGames exclusively manages Sega's platform game library, including Sega 8 bit, Sega MegaDrive/Genesis, Sega CD, Sega Saturn and Sega Dreamcast for OEM in Greater China for worldwide shipment."

Curiouser and curiouser!