IGNORED

Who wants a SATANDISK?

I guess I'm disgruntled, or maybe just misinformed. I can't get my original-run Satandisk to do anything without referring to a floppy drive first-- which was the reason I got it in the first place, to not use them. I'll go through the threads, see if I missed something. Make this thing *do* something.

Satandisk doesn't always pick-up after switch on i.e. proper cold boot. Let the desktop come up hit the reset button and satandisk will be picked up.

There is a fix for this but it's more of an inconvenience than a problem.

Hi guys. This is my first post here. I'm desperately looking for a modern way to add a hard disk (or such) to my 1040 STe. So far i've lost all SATANDISK batches from various people that had the time and patience to manufacture this. I would definitely need two of them, as long as the price is cool, as other guys have said before.

Regards!

Nikos

Edited by rygar74

Yeah! Count me in! It sounds VERY usefull and i'm looking for an excuss to up the "coolness factor" of my 1040 STe :)

I'd be interested too. And if the price is ok, I'll buy two or three of them.

some people seem not to understand that there is a big difference between floppies and HD on atari ST.

Most of the disk-based games won't run from HD. Those games are stuck to disk, and even when you have a real harddisk like MegaFile or else. you are not able to run those games from harddisk. Since satandisk is a substitution for a HD, you are not able to run those games from satandisk.

I'd say it would be a cool idea, someone invented a system that emulates a floppydrive. So indeed: you could save your .ST images on a SD of CF card, and with some external keys you select your image, and then the interface emulates a drive, and the atari boots from this image thing.

Unfortunately as far as i know there is no such thing yet for Atari St. This is how all those cool Atari 8bit devices work like sio2ide and sio2sd.

I still love the satandisk, so if it is not too expensive... count me in for two or three of them. And with not too expensive i mean: max. 50-75 dollar each.

Greetz

M.

There is something like this floppy emulator. But all in French and somehow weird to install...I don't have it hand but I'm sure someone out there can provide you with an URL...

• 2 weeks later...

I've wanted an IDE hard drive solution for my 1040STe (4MB) for about eight years, so yes I am very interested in having this Satandisk. It would be nice if it could also take a CompactFlash to IDE adapter, as I prefer to keep the Atari running silently.

Ehm.. since there seem to be some misconceptions: http://joo.kie.sk/

Go to atari then satandisk.

Hmmm, interesting, I'm a bit perplexed by this Q/A on your site however:

Q Well the pc be able to read the cards also?

A Well, if you will create a DOS partition and will be able to read it on ST, then yes. Or on the PC you could create a image of the card and then use it with various software (Steem + Pasti, ARAnyM, (Linux ?)).

Steem v3.2 + Pasti.dll tested and it's working fine.

does this mean there is no easy way to transfer files back and forth between PC/MAC and the ST? Seems counter productive. What format does the SD card need to be formatted in and how is this accomplished? all SD and MMC cards I know currently on the market are formatted FAT16 or FAT32.

There must be a way to have some sort of easy reader/writer software that we can use to transfer files to and from the card... I would hope. Otherwise it would be rather pointless wouldn't it?

Ehm.. since there seem to be some misconceptions: http://joo.kie.sk/

Go to atari then satandisk.

Hmmm, interesting, I'm a bit perplexed by this Q/A on your site however:

Q Well the pc be able to read the cards also?

A Well, if you will create a DOS partition and will be able to read it on ST, then yes. Or on the PC you could create a image of the card and then use it with various software (Steem + Pasti, ARAnyM, (Linux ?)).

Steem v3.2 + Pasti.dll tested and it's working fine.

does this mean there is no easy way to transfer files back and forth between PC/MAC and the ST? Seems counter productive. What format does the SD card need to be formatted in and how is this accomplished? all SD and MMC cards I know currently on the market are formatted FAT16 or FAT32.

There must be a way to have some sort of easy reader/writer software that we can use to transfer files to and from the card... I would hope. Otherwise it would be rather pointless wouldn't it?

Ehhhmmm... it's not my site or h/w nor do I have it. I am using a serial link to transfer files.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I'd be keen to upgrade my 1040STE with one, can it be fitted internally?

yes, of course, it is very small device so it fits into STE without ptoblem. And as it needs 7-12V you can use internal power supply.

I would be interested in 2 (maybe 3 if not cost prohibitive) 1 interanl and 1 external. It would work in a Mega STE as well?

Edited by twbrown

• 2 weeks later...
I guess I'm disgruntled, or maybe just misinformed. I can't get my original-run Satandisk to do anything without referring to a floppy drive first-- which was the reason I got it in the first place, to not use them. I'll go through the threads, see if I missed something. Make this thing *do* something.

Satandisk doesn't always pick-up after switch on i.e. proper cold boot. Let the desktop come up hit the reset button and satandisk will be picked up.

There is a fix for this but it's more of an inconvenience than a problem.

What is this fix? Would it be incorporated into future SatanDisks?

As I know, new versions of Satandisk have 1-2 fixes. Better power supply part, and some fix against accidental data loss.

More about it is written on other Atari forum.

In any case, count of people having problems is not too big, as I see.

Every product may have child-ills, so we can hope that new revisions will be much better...