IGNORED

Atari A/V mod update

Longhorn Engineer

DigiKey has them in-stock. 1500 exactly, so maybe they recently got a reel of 2500 and sold 1000 of them to a customer.

I just ordered a small quantity of them...I'll repost when I know if it goes through or not. I wonder where they got 2500 of them?

Edited by tubr0

DigiKey has them in-stock. 1500 exactly, so maybe they recently got a reel of 2500 and sold 1000 of them to a customer.

I just ordered a small quantity of them...I'll repost when I know if it goes through or not. I wonder where they got 2500 of them?

In December Fairchild (manufacture of the FMS6400) placed the FMS6400 on "last orders" then moved it to discontinued. I bet the 1500 chips where from an order then.

At the risk of being flamed are there still plans for an updated 5200 A/V mod?

Why would any one flame you?

And Yes there is a 5200 design but I am more focused on getting every one who has already ordered a mod out the door before even thinking about working on a new design. It is all designed and ready to go but I need to test it and finish up the PCB.

It is all designed and ready to go but I need to test it and finish up the PCB.

If you get me the schematic I'll give it a go, and let you know how it works. Nice to have 3rd party verification? :D

Will once I make sure it doesnt blow up TVs or 5200's ;)

You have something against fireworks?

If you get me the schematic I'll give it a go, and let you know how it works. Nice to have 3rd party verification? :D

I don't mind but I am sure people don't want there houses going down in a blaze of Atari glory.

I don't mind but I am sure people don't want there houses going down in a blaze of Atari glory.

But that has such a nice ring to it.

• 5 months later...

2. With all 7800 games, I get no color at all. Just black and white images:

post-9712-128606863112_thumb.jpg

post-9712-128606864045_thumb.jpg

I have no idea how to troubleshoot this one. By the way, the same symptoms happen with both S-Video and Composite outputs.

Any thoughts at all would be greatly appreciated. :)

EDIT: I have another 2600-related issue. I popped in Asteroids and the characters seem to jump around...almost like it's a vertical-hold issue, but I've got it hooked up to an HDTV. Thoughts?

I had the black and white issue when I got mine as well. I ended up having to touch up the soldering on one of the chips per LH's suggestion. It was the really tiny chip. I needed to reflow the solder. With my lousy hand steadiness, it was quite the chore.

Hi all,

I just purchased and installed my LHE video mod for the Atari 7800. Picture in the 7800 mode is clear albeit in black and white over S-video and composite. 2600 mode is scrambled and also in black and white. I've tried this on both my Westinghouse W4207 and a Dell FPD on both channels. I've done a pretty rigorous search on how to resolve this issue, but these posts are the closest I've come.

I've checked all my connections—especially to pin 9 (chroma)—and even replaced a few wires. In 2600 mode, I adjusted the lower potentiometer and this helped the V-Hold, but the image is still off-center and black and white.

Can anyone help me with this issue? I'm dying to play my ProSys in full color!

Thanks!

I have no idea how to troubleshoot this one. By the way, the same symptoms happen with both S-Video and Composite outputs.

EDIT: I have another 2600-related issue. I popped in Asteroids and the characters seem to jump around...almost like it's a vertical-hold issue, but I've got it hooked up to an HDTV. Thoughts?

I had the black and white issue when I got mine as well. I ended up having to touch up the soldering on one of the chips per LH's suggestion. It was the really tiny chip. I needed to reflow the solder. With my lousy hand steadiness, it was quite the chore.

Hi all,

I just purchased and installed my LHE video mod for the Atari 7800. Picture in the 7800 mode is clear albeit in black and white over S-video and composite. 2600 mode is scrambled and also in black and white. I've tried this on both my Westinghouse W4207 and a Dell FPD on both channels. I've done a pretty rigorous search on how to resolve this issue, but these posts are the closest I've come.

I've checked all my connections—especially to pin 9 (chroma)—and even replaced a few wires. In 2600 mode, I adjusted the lower potentiometer and this helped the V-Hold, but the image is still off-center and black and white.

Thanks!

Sounds like the tiny chip in the bottom right corner is not working correctly. That chip passes the chroma signal.

Hi all,

Thanks!

Sounds like the tiny chip in the bottom right corner is not working correctly. That chip passes the chroma signal.

Thanks LHE! I found that post several pages back, and I do believe that's the problem. Since I purchased mine from electronicsentimentalities, I e-mailed him, and he's going to replace the board.

I did attempt to reflow the solder on the little guy, but it just wasn't happening.

Cheers to a fantastic design! Even in b/w it is remarkably crisp and sharp!

Edited by phattyboombatty

Hi all,

Thanks!

Thanks LHE! I found that post several pages back, and I do believe that's the problem. Since I purchased mine from electronicsentimentalities, I e-mailed him, and he's going to replace the board.

I did attempt to reflow the solder on the little guy, but it just wasn't happening.

Cheers to a fantastic design! Even in b/w it is remarkably crisp and sharp!

No problem!

Got my replacement board, and soldered it together yesterday... Same problem: black and white video on the 7800, and either scrambled or black screen on the 2600 side. I want to say that Joe Martowicz has been tremendously helpful in troubleshooting this with me. Don't know the relationship between Martowicz and LHE, but I still believe it's a great design. Hoping I can get it fully functional soon!

I'm tempted to modify my original 1984 Warner Communications model, but I don't want to start clipping things just yet. I did completely remove the RF modulator box, so I'm hoping that doesn't affect anything.

Got my replacement board, and soldered it together yesterday... Same problem: black and white video on the 7800, and either scrambled or black screen on the 2600 side. I want to say that Joe Martowicz has been tremendously helpful in troubleshooting this with me. Don't know the relationship between Martowicz and LHE, but I still believe it's a great design. Hoping I can get it fully functional soon!

I'm tempted to modify my original 1984 Warner Communications model, but I don't want to start clipping things just yet. I did completely remove the RF modulator box, so I'm hoping that doesn't affect anything.

Can you post some high resolution shots of the connections you made?

I just sell PCBs to Joe but I am the one that designed the mod.

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to give praise to Joe Martowicz (electronicsentimentalities) who has been manufacturing and selling LHE's terrific design. It turned out that I had a goofy 7800 mobo that wasn't kicking out color on MARIA and scrambling TIA. Joe kindly offered to take my board in for troubleshooting, and graciously replaced my goofy board with a functional one. Joe is a reputable eBay seller and I am very pleased with his ability and customer-satisfaction! Check out his stuff if you're a FleaBay picker!!

• 2 weeks later...

Since Joe sent me a replacement 7800 mobo, things are working fine, and my chroma and luma are all good.

Two things I've noticed--has anyone else troubleshot these?

• Some faint interference in the S-Video signal. Almost like there's an FM type signal crossing into it. Strange, but not horrible.

• POKEY audio in Commando has a much lower volume than the standard audio.

That's it. If anyone has any input, I'd be much obliged!

Since Joe sent me a replacement 7800 mobo, things are working fine, and my chroma and luma are all good.

Two things I've noticed--has anyone else troubleshot these?

• Some faint interference in the S-Video signal. Almost like there's an FM type signal crossing into it. Strange, but not horrible.

• POKEY audio in Commando has a much lower volume than the standard audio.

That's it. If anyone has any input, I'd be much obliged!

Check out this thread: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/185950-lhe-mod-problems/

Mitch